02 LS1 Loss of Idle - 100+ Heat Only

This is a discussion on 02 LS1 Loss of Idle - 100+ Heat Only within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've posted this before over at Firehawk.org with no fruitful suggestions. I've owned the 02 Firehawk for four years, purchased ...

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

02 LS1 Loss of Idle - 100+ Heat Only

I've posted this before over at Firehawk.org with no fruitful suggestions. I've owned the 02 Firehawk for four years, purchased it bone stock with 10k miles. The only modifications I've made are the smooth intake bellows, 160 stat, t-body bypass and iCAGS (M6) skip shift removal. The car now has 26k miles and has been very well maintained.

Now over the last four years there has been four occasions that this lack of idle has occured, all when temps were at 100 degrees or more, and of course being in Omaha Nebraska extremely high humidity. The next day, or even an hour after getting garaged, no problems at least for about another year. Just happened today for the fourth time.

Car starts right up, but it's as if the computer forgets to maintain the idle, it will just continue to drop in RPM until it gets down to zero over a 1-2 seconds after starting. If you catch it and hold your foot on the throttle you can maintain the idle manually. The car runs normal, drives normal, exhaust smells normal, no miss and no SES light is triggered. Everything seems completely normal except it won't maintain the idle.

I had this looked at by a dealer the first year I owned it, but I now realize by the time they got around to doing anything the problem had already disappeared as quickly as it started.

If anyone could point me to any other threads that may have already covered similar problems, or have any ideas what may be happening, I'd love to know, it just has not done this but four times literally over four years of ownership.

Thanks
    Brian

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Have you removed the throttle body and cleaned it with carb cleaner....along with the IAC valve?

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

I haven't cleaned the TB or the IAC valve seeing as the low miles and this car sees nothing but clean pavement, no rain and no snow. I will however definitely try this as I've seen other posts referring to similar idle issues and cleaning the IAC valve. Growing up with carbeurators my only question would be why the extremely high temperatures seem to be the only time I see this behavior.

Thanks

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Did you reprogram the computer after the 160 stat. or is it stock? what is the engine temp when it happens?

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

I have not reprogrammed the ECM, it is still stock also. According to the heat guage, which I realize is by no means accurate, it has never went above around 190 since replacing the original thermostat. It is certainly a lower guage position compared to the stock stat.

Thread Information