02 camaro ls1 install

Ok I got a 02 camaro ls1 car. I got a 98 ls1 I wanna put in it.. will it go in without problems? What whould I need to make everything work?.. thanks for ur help

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The '98s utilize a one-year only PCM and they are equipped with an EGR valve. They also have different injectors, intake manifold, heads and cam profile. Those are the only differences that come to mind. How much is being swapped over from your '02?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Did something happen to the 02' block? Like Jeff said there are few internal and external differences. Tuning will fix 90% of them. Frost should be able to help on that. the other 10% is intake and accessories. They will swap over no problem. Your 02' PCM will work with the 98' but if you don't swap over the 02 stuff like intake, FI, etc Frost or your tuner will need to know.

Major issues I'd address with the 98 black prior to dropping it in is get a LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain. If never done they are both long over due. It's easier and better to do it now then after it's in the block. Also motor mounts, great time to do them.

Don't forget about the ground points.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The '98s utilize a one-year only PCM and they are equipped with an EGR valve. They also have different injectors, intake manifold, heads and cam profile. Those are the only differences that come to mind. How much is being swapped over from your '02?
    The 02 was put on spray and motor went... I bought a 98 that was wrecked... for a dd... now I'm wantn to put the motor and tranny out of the 98 and put itin the much better lookn 02.. so will it swap? Would I need to use the 98 harness and comp? Or the 02?

What's it going to take from either car to be swaped or usd in tje 02 to make everything work like normal?.. what ahould I swap?(nolonger have 02 motor or tranny)... also lookn to build this motor if that mattea in what ecu to uae or what not

Was told I had to use the 02 harness an ecu or my gaugues wont work but the 02 harness will notw work on the 98 ls cause the pinsare different.. any of this true?? PLEASE HELP!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes, the pinouts are different. It is generally best to keep an engine and PCM together during a swap. The '98 PCMs were one year only and do not interchange with '99 - '02. I take it your '02 engine harness is also gone? You can obtain a PCM from Steve Williams of Tuned by Frost. There is a link to his site at the top of the page.

Navy Blue Metallic

If you're talking about just the engine, then any LS1 97-04' will be able to drop in your 02'. Plus all your 02' stuff like intake, KS sensors, fuel rails, etc will swap over. I would only use the 98' block for a short block and swap all the 02' stuff over. Unless the 98' has been cammed and internals are better.

Now here is were it gets a little tricky and technical.

Jeff is right about the wire harness, PCM, and gauges. They are all tied together. If you have 02' PCM you need a 02' wire harness and dash gauges. If you have a 98' PCM then you need to get a 98 wire harness and 98 gauges.

What do you have in regards to the wire harness and PCM that is in the car right now? Either one works fine, personally I like my 98' gauges because they work.

One more issue is are you a A4 or M6. The wire harness for a A4 has some extra connections for the transmission.

I have both the 98 and 02 harness and I git the a4 tranny...

Navy Blue Metallic

used the 02 harness then. The block doesn't matter in this case because it all hooks up to the same locations.

I have both the 98 and 02 harness and I git the a4 tranny...

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I dont know why we're going into all this detail about harnesses and tuning/etc. Just swap the long block from the '98 into the '02 and you'll be done. All the accessories/wiring/trans/sensors/etc stay with the car they came in (unless they were damaged), everything else is irrelevant.

if a piston came into contact with the heads and messed up the heads, swap only the short block so you can still keep the center bolt valve covers/coils from the '02; instead of being stuck with the crappy design of the '98 perimeter bolt valve covers.

I doubt the engine harness is messed up in the '02, but if so, get one from a part out.
    I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

My Cardomain Site My Fquick site Custom Installs

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If you're talking about just the engine, then any LS1 97-04' will be able to drop in your 02'. Plus all your 02' stuff like intake, KS sensors, fuel rails, etc will swap over. I would only use the 98' block for a short block and swap all the 02' stuff over. Unless the 98' has been cammed and internals are better.

Now here is were it gets a little tricky and technical.

Jeff is right about the wire harness, PCM, and gauges. They are all tied together. If you have 02' PCM you need a 02' wire harness and dash gauges. If you have a 98' PCM then you need to get a 98 wire harness and 98 gauges.

What do you have in regards to the wire harness and PCM that is in the car right now? Either one works fine, personally I like my 98' gauges because they work.

One more issue is are you a A4 or M6. The wire harness for a A4 has some extra connections for the transmission.

I'm wantn to take both motor and trany out of yh 98 and put both in the 02

Want

Also is it easyr to remove the motor threw the top or bottom? Ans install easyr? Can it be done threw the top?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dropping it out the bottom is fairly simple. They can be taken out from the top as well -- but take a look at how far the engine sets behind the cowl and you'll see the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Dropping it out the bottom is fairly simple. They can be taken out from the top as well -- but take a look at how far the engine sets behind the cowl and you'll see the difficulty.
    That's what I've been tols ... but problem it I'm doin this in the back yard... with no lift.. how would I get the body off the motor? Any suggeations...

Navy Blue Metallic

You need to talk to this guy

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/franke...ml#post2810252

I believe he can answer all you questions. He is currently swapping everything over to a new body because "Nymph" (his car was know by this) was totaled.

Navy Blue Metallic

No lift you're looking at taking it from the top.

Quick answer is remove the hood, all wire harness connected to the block, next easy way - remove the transmission, hard way - keep it but you'll need to have the car high on jack stands to clear the transmission. Next remove the intake and heads, then the radiator, PS pump, headers, starter and alternator. the PS pump and a/c you can remove without disconnecting the lines in order to keep fluid and freon. Just be careful and patient when lifting. Use a cherry picker that has the telescoping support beam that can rotate/angle the block. Also include beer and snacks for the friends that are helping you.

Thread Information