Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

00 z slowly uses coolant...normal?

This spring i topped off the coolant with the car running. Is it ok to fill it to the top. I check it again today and I've been running it in hot weather. I had to put maybe 2-4 cups in it. Not that much...so is this normal. I don't want anything to happen to my baby.

Also, is it ok to take it to jiffy lube or somewhere to change the tranny and rear end fluid. It wouldn't hurt to do it and I don't want to screw anything up. I love my car too much.

Thx guys.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

2-4 cups a season, i wouldnt worry too much about that, just to be safe you can have the rad. cap "pressure tested". Also check around for any leaks or any signs of leak.
    As far as someone changing your fluids i would reccomend doing it yourself, the rear diff isnt hard at all, just drop the drain plug and fill it back up, pretty simple, just dont over fill.
    As far as the tranny fluid, most places will "flush the system" inorder to get all of the old fluid out to include whats in you torque converter if its an auto.
    Try looking around for a decent shop or ask some buddies where they would reccomend, i personaly would stay away from Jiffy lube and places like that.
    also dont forget about the coolant, if your having your fluids flushed and replaced, it might be a good idea to also do your coolant, just make sure you use dexcool to fill it back up. The orange stuff, not the green
    J

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    2-4 cups a season, i wouldnt worry too much about that, just to be safe you can have the rad. cap "pressure tested". Also check around for any leaks or any signs of leak.
    As far as someone changing your fluids i would reccomend doing it yourself, the rear diff isnt hard at all, just drop the drain plug and fill it back up, pretty simple, just dont over fill.
    As far as the tranny fluid, most places will "flush the system" inorder to get all of the old fluid out to include whats in you torque converter if its an auto.
    Try looking around for a decent shop or ask some buddies where they would reccomend, i personaly would stay away from Jiffy lube and places like that.
    also dont forget about the coolant, if your having your fluids flushed and replaced, it might be a good idea to also do your coolant, just make sure you use dexcool to fill it back up. The orange stuff, not the green
    J
    but i already put some 50/50 green in.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

What color was the coolant in it, when you filled it up?
    I would reccomend getting it flushed or flushing it yourself, if you did mix them then it will gum up the system and cause you some issues.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    What color was the coolant in it, when you filled it up?
    I would reccomend getting it flushed or flushing it yourself, if you did mix them then it will gum up the system and cause you some issues.
    J
    well i hope ur wrong. cuz i've been running it since this spring. the stuff in it was orange and now i added green for the 2nd time. i figured it was all the same and my dad thought the same thing and it's been running this way for bout 6 months.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

No, its two different types of coolant, the Green and The orange aka dexcool. Its suppose to be extended life, although if you mix them they will gum up and cause issues, I would reccomend either flushing your system or having it done and then refilling it with the dexcool.
    J

Def get it flushed...why would you think two coolants that are different colors are the same?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

cuz they are both 50/50

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    This spring i topped off the coolant with the car running. Is it ok to fill it to the top. I check it again today and I've been running it in hot weather. I had to put maybe 2-4 cups in it. Not that much...so is this normal. I don't want anything to happen to my baby.

Also, is it ok to take it to jiffy lube or somewhere to change the tranny and rear end fluid. It wouldn't hurt to do it and I don't want to screw anything up. I love my car too much.

Thx guys.
    never take your vehicle to jiffy lube and assume your car is leaving with everything done right. the people that work there arent qualified to do a wiper blade change nevermind anything that you can lose and expensive engine or trans on. why is it that people think about taking their car to jiffy lube but dealers are the devil? honestly, learn with a buddy that knows how to work on cars how to do these fluid exchanges, save money, have the satisfaction of working on your own car.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

oh dear god dude. DONT mix green and orange! why would you do that? the orange is propylene glycol based and the green is ethylene glycol

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i don't know anyone who gives two shits about their car let alone know how to do proper maintenance...i don't know what to do....the reason i put the green in, in the first place was because that's all they had at the truck stop. i noticed it was kinda low so i thought it was a good idea to top it off. wish i knew how to do it myself cuz i would. i got access to lifts, jacks, any tool you can think of but i don't know anyone who is crazy about cars like i am.

i finally figured out how to change the oil on it. i almost feel like a man...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i don't know anyone who gives two shits about their car let alone know how to do proper maintenance...i don't know what to do....the reason i put the green in, in the first place was because that's all they had at the truck stop. i noticed it was kinda low so i thought it was a good idea to top it off. wish i knew how to do it myself cuz i would. i got access to lifts, jacks, any tool you can think of but i don't know anyone who is crazy about cars like i am.
    next time you wanna jus top it off a lil, use water. please. being that you dont have any car buddies and you wanna change fluids, find a really good independent shop. dont take your car to any jiffy this , lube xpress that. they hire morons, and guys that wanna be mechanics but dont wanna learn how to do anything right. thats why they are there. if you have any questions dude please pm me. ill help you best i can. im an auto tech by trade. jus dont give jiffy lube your money.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    next time you wanna jus top it off a lil, use water. please. being that you dont have any car buddies and you wanna change fluids, find a really good independent shop. dont take your car to any jiffy this , lube xpress that. they hire morons, and guys that wanna be mechanics but dont wanna learn how to do anything right. thats why they are there. if you have any questions dude please pm me. ill help you best i can. im an auto tech by trade. jus dont give jiffy lube your money.
    thx but i can't follow directions for shit...if i seen someone do it more than once, then i could handle it. i guess i'll take it somewhere that looks clean.

i finally figured out how to change the oil on it. i almost feel like a man...
    Just flush the shit and you'll be fine. Get a flush additive too, like the Prestone radiator flush crap to help clean it out. U should replace the thermostat with a 160*, its easy and its only two bolts to undo. Instructions even come with the Hyperstat Thermostat, with pictures.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

thx but i can't follow directions for shit...if i seen someone do it more than once, then i could handle it. i guess i'll take it somewhere that looks clean.
    take it to a reputable mechanic in town that you know people that go there that get quality repairs done for a good price. avoid any places with the word "lube" in it like i said.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by chad3113 View Post
    Just flush the shit and you'll be fine. Get a flush additive too, like the Prestone radiator flush crap to help clean it out. U should replace the thermostat with a 160*, its easy and its only two bolts to undo. Instructions even come with the Hyperstat Thermostat, with pictures.
    Does this help the car to run cooler?

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

it will help it run cooler but you will have to get a tune so your fans will turn on at 160 and not 190 so ...you can take the full advantage of the 160*F thermastat...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If you don't know any good local shops go to a local car show and ask people that own the cars that are in it for names of shops in your area that they trust. You should walk away with a nice list and the that pops up the most is your new place to go. Get names of some of the people to tell the shop guys who reffered you and they'll take care of you. It's the easist way to find a places to go and ones to stay away from.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check the jug you used to top off the coolant, maybe it was global antifreeze which works with any kind of coolant

Thread Information