91 camar

00 trans am build

Ok so my friend is in the army deployed in Afghanistan and I am suppose to get him a parts list for his car. Right now its a stock ls1 auto trans am. He has already bought a manual transmission and everything he needs for the swap except the clutch kit and slave cylinder. He is wanting me to find him some parts for bolt on performance.
    I am new to the whole ls1 deal I just wanted to see if these parts are good for the ls1's. Basically need advice to make sure im going in the right direction.

Here is the headers that he had chosen for it but we didnt know how well these were for these cars
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-66534/
    headman headers 66534

Then theres the ls6 intake that we figured would work for this
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88894

Then just a stocky slave cylinder ( is this ok I heard these cars had problems with the hydros? )
    Dorman CS360058 - Dorman Clutch Slave Cylinders

Then we were looking for a clutch kit (edit) that would fit the set up. We were thinking a twin disk set up. We want to get everyone in one order through summit since they are going to offer a military discount for him.

Any advice on what we are thinking about so far by the way we plan on going as far as a head and cam swap later on and probably maxing out around the 500 hp mark not much more than that is our goal for the future. But just looking to let it breath a little better for now.
    Last edited by joker0907; 12-28-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot kit

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would go with Hooker headers and 1 7/8" design if you are wanting to get to 500 hp in the future. I know Hooker offers a 1 3/4" design for around $300 and that is what I use. I love them, have never had a leak ever from them. For the LS6 intake, look around here in the used parts section and tech for some used ones. They go pretty reasonably. If your looking more towards the future then get a FAST 102mm intake and be done with it.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

91 camar

Thanks for the info ill see if he will want me to try and find a used one. My trouble is figuring out the clutch we should use. We are trying not to push a grand on clutch and throw out bearing. Was looking at the ram twin disk but the only one I could find calls for a hydralic throw out that was like 300 on its own. He told me he wanted the stock feeling in his clutch so would the ls7 swap work for this?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by joker0907 View Post
    Thanks for the info ill see if he will want me to try and find a used one. My trouble is figuring out the clutch we should use. We are trying not to push a grand on clutch and throw out bearing. Was looking at the ram twin disk but the only one I could find calls for a hydralic throw out that was like 300 on its own. He told me he wanted the stock feeling in his clutch so would the ls7 swap work for this?
    I have the LS7 and love it! You will get completely stock feeling. Only problem with the LS7 is that Z06's with bolt ons are usually pushing its holding power. I paid around $500 for clutch and flywheel

91 camar

hmmm. Sounds good look like I'm going to be doing some more research into the ls7 clutch swap! I got a friend that own a performance shop and is excited im finally getting into the ls engines! Hes ready to do some dyno runs!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You have more questions in your post then you listed so I'll share what I know and have learned in my build.

First, What year is the car? 98-99 has LS1 intake, 01-02 has LS6 already installed. Check the sites and craigslist. I got mine used and a P&P TB for $400 together. They sell for around $300. Stay with the stock MAF sensor. No need to change it. Unless you get a 102 Fast Intake, no need to get a BBK 85mm or Fast 90mm TB.

TGK55 plugs, MSD Wires are great combo. Stock coil packs are good also, some have used the truck coils also. Stay away from Royal Purple. That stuff is consider a 4 letter word around here and gets much scorn. Mobile 1 or Amsoil are great synthetic oils.

I've been told many times here before it finally stuck. If your goals is to build to the 500 rwhp range you need - suspension, suspension, SUSPENSION!!!!

Build this up first. SFCs are a must, 3 point best, 2 point are fine as long as you get them. LCAs, TA, PHB, A Arms, K member, etc.....all help put power to the pavement.

2nd thing you should know - our piss poor rear end is the biggest weakness to our cars. over 420 rwhp it is not if but when your rear end goes.

The A4 is getting used more in racing and has had better times and ETs in the 1/4 mile. Throw in a stall converter and see how much he likes it.

On that T56 I'd do him a favor while its out and sent it to Tick Performance and have them do a Stage II rebuild or a Viper Build and make that thing rock solid.

I have the LS7 Clutch Kit also and love it. Its rated to about 550 hp. Higher then that and you are really looking at specialized parts and no longer have a DD. The OEM Slave is good so no issues as long as you change it at the same time you install the clutch. You can also do the Clutch hose mod that helps with the know clutch problems.

In your hunt for parts only 2 things that SLP make that are good products are the line lock and their Air Lid. The Air Lid does have some fitting issues but if you get 1/2" foam weather stripping you can fix it cheap.

Headers and mufflers - Personal taste in what you like in sound. LTs are best, Mids = why bother, shorties = this is so you get better flow and help stay legal for states like Cali. If your state doesn't have emissions testing get LTs, remove CATS, add ORY.

Besides H/C/I to get 500rwhp in a LS1 block only 3 ways to get there.
    1 - N20 (hope you don't blow it)
    2 - Turbos
    3 - Supercharger

Each is in order of cheapest to highest in cost. Each has its own requirements for parts both internal and external of the engine. Way to much for me to explain.

I have the same goal but I don't see it with the LS1. My future plans are getting a LS6 Crate and getting MS4 cam and either Trick Flow heads or PRC LS6 Stage 2.5 CNC Ported Heads from TS&P. May even do turbo but that would be 2-3 yrs down the road.

Bottom line - the best thing you and your friend can do is do your research, make a list up, talk around to get some ideas. Hell even call guys at TS&P or other shops and ask them what they recommend.

* DISCLAIMER - I in no way claim to be an expert nor know wtf I'm doing.... If I'm giving bad info in facts not opinion please correct me so that I can learn too!
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-29-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

91 camar

it is a 00 trans am. it doesnt have the ram air hood yet. Kinda confused you excluded the 00 in the list of car with or without the ls6 intake.

I think later on he plans on getting a procharger for it not too sure how he is planning to get up there. We already know about the rear end issues (Im a big third gen fan) so have same issues with those cars. Ive told him multiple times about suspension he is planning on doing some polyurethane pieces im not quite sure what yet. I know this is just a play kinda car for him i mean hes got plenty of other cars... (89 camaro, 2010 gmc truck, 89 chevy truck, 2004 tahoe,etc...) so i dont think he plans on making this thing get many miles on it.(plus live in Indiana so we might get 6 months of time where there might be a chance to get to drive it)
    Anyways what im getting at is this car will probably be tinkered with more than drove. The 500 hp goal wont be for a good while tho. We are looking to get ourselves in the 400 range next year when we do the cam head swap. Personally I want him to let me turbo it!

Navy Blue Metallic

it is a 00 trans am. it doesnt have the ram air hood yet. Kinda confused you excluded the 00 in the list of car with or without the ls6 intake.

I think later on he plans on getting a procharger for it not too sure how he is planning to get up there. We already know about the rear end issues (Im a big third gen fan) so have same issues with those cars. Ive told him multiple times about suspension he is planning on doing some polyurethane pieces im not quite sure what yet. I know this is just a play kinda car for him i mean hes got plenty of other cars... (89 camaro, 2010 gmc truck, 89 chevy truck, 2004 tahoe,etc...) so i dont think he plans on making this thing get many miles on it.(plus live in Indiana so we might get 6 months of time where there might be a chance to get to drive it)
    Anyways what im getting at is this car will probably be tinkered with more than drove. The 500 hp goal wont be for a good while tho. We are looking to get ourselves in the 400 range next year when we do the cam head swap. Personally I want him to let me turbo it!
    helps if I looked at the title. I missed the 00

sorry for overlooking the 00, some had them most didn't. you can look up the part number and find out which one you have.

Mines is a stock looking TA. My plans on that are either a Mecham Hood or WS9 hood
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.

91 camar

If i had to guess i would say this isnt a ls6 intake it look pretty close to a base model with the standard hood and everything. I could be wrong but id say no.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its best to go with a GM slave cylinder also.

Navy Blue Metallic

If i had to guess i would say this isnt a ls6 intake it look pretty close to a base model with the standard hood and everything. I could be wrong but id say no.

Post # 3 has the part # to help identify which one
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143730

91 camar

So for the ls7 kit since we need all the clutch flywheel etc since it didnt come with the car period will buying just a ls7 clutch kit. I dont really see just a stock looking one that comes with everything from summit?

Thread Information