Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

****ing #8 Spark Plug!!!

This is a discussion on ****ing #8 Spark Plug!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Really? I've been a bodybuilder/powerlifter for 30 years, I'm only 5'4" and weigh over 200 lbs., ...

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really? I've been a bodybuilder/powerlifter for 30 years, I'm only 5'4" and weigh over 200 lbs., so I'm no little pup
    I can squeeze my arm in there, albiet not comfortable, but it keeps me from removing things that add time and aggravation.

I do use a lift however, so it's easier to wiggle my arm up there when standing on my feet,,,,, I can do all 8 plugs in 30 minutes with a beer break in between
    i agree, did mine from the bottom with this snapon.jpg one handed , put the socket on the plug , put the ratchet on the socket , and start turning . this ratchet made by snap on , and is hands down the best spark plug ratchet iv ever used . in my day, we were a tune up shop and changed millions of plugs and some of the transverse 6 cylinder motors of the late 80 and early 90s were brutal ( the back plugs ) its a 3/8 drive ( you really shouldn't need more than that on a plug in an aluminum head !) fine ratchet , 360* rotating head and long handle for torque . # snap on F748 ?
    Last edited by twozs; 12-26-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I did the plugs with the longtubes,but when I upgraded the wires I got the wife to put on no.8 wire.she was thrilled to "work" on her car.

The old timers at the Ford dealership I used to work at said the 428 cobra jet and boss 429 mustangs had to have the engines pulled to access plugs.
    I have a 69 428 SCJ mustang, and the plugs aren't fun, but I can do it without removing the engine.
    The V8 Monza however, I had to jack up the driver side of the engine to do that row of plugs. Pain in the rump.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

i think that is just plain stupid if youd have to remove the motor to get to the plugs. what a pita

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Apparently, I was in need of a change: ever since the change, she drives a lot better. Acceleration is much more consistent and the operation of the engine feels... more crisp, more urgent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    i think that is just plain stupid if youd have to remove the motor to get to the plugs. what a pita
    Well yes it would be. I don't remove the engine on the Monza, just jack up the driver side about 2 inches (steering shaft in the way). That's just the price you pay to have a V8 in a little 2800 pound rocket with a 97" wheel base.
    The SCJ mustang I just recently changed the plugs in isn't horrible by my standards. But a wide FE engine in a car with narrow shock towers makes things very difficult, and you can't go through the fender wells (on either car) since they are both unibodies. I removed the valve covers so I could get my arms down in there. Couldn't get my hands in there so I used a spark plug wire tool to pull the boots on and off.
    I'd much rather change plugs on a 4th gen camaro.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I hope you remembered to use anti seize on the plugs before you installed them.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Really? I've been a bodybuilder/powerlifter for 30 years, I'm only 5'4" and weigh over 200 lbs., so I'm no little pup
    I can squeeze my arm in there, albiet not comfortable, but it keeps me from removing things that add time and aggravation.

I do use a lift however, so it's easier to wiggle my arm up there when standing on my feet,,,,, I can do all 8 plugs in 30 minutes with a beer break in between
    I've seen some "body builders" with some skinny forearms, just saying I can't fit that way either. I've had no problem going from the top.

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

just remove the headers from heads and lift the heads out to remove that chit.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I hope you remembered to use anti seize on the plugs before you installed them.
    Lol! Nope. Didnt know about that part... guess ill have to deal with it later.

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Well yes it would be. I don't remove the engine on the Monza, just jack up the driver side about 2 inches (steering shaft in the way). That's just the price you pay to have a V8 in a little 2800 pound rocket with a 97" wheel base.
    The SCJ mustang I just recently changed the plugs in isn't horrible by my standards. But a wide FE engine in a car with narrow shock towers makes things very difficult, and you can't go through the fender wells (on either car) since they are both unibodies. I removed the valve covers so I could get my arms down in there. Couldn't get my hands in there so I used a spark plug wire tool to pull the boots on and off.
    I'd much rather change plugs on a 4th gen camaro.
    one of these little buggers ? these cars were half the size of a nova and with V8 power in the mirage model AND the 2+2 . this a "for real" 1977 Chevrolet monza mirage ( factory 305 V8 2 bbl with a saginaw 4 speed trans ) . this areo package was the for founder of the IMSA monza ...... monza mirage.jpg..... in 1978 we put the L79 ( 327 / 325 HP) and M20 out of my 68 chevelle Malibu ( an incredibly rare car , but who knew in 78 ) in a 6 month old mirage.that car was dangerous . the cars speedo tops out at 85 . we had it past the shift indicator on its second time around . but anyway , that was a hard plug change for sure . the mustang II of the era with a V8 motor was a nightmare with the oil filter and spark plugs . the oil filter had to be turned upside down during removal , dumping all the oil in the filter during removal .
    Last edited by twozs; 12-30-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Yep, ran those cars for years, I had several of the spyder variety, and ran the same 406/4-speed combo in most of them. As they rusted away I transfered the drivetrain over to another one
    They were my beater cars for years back in Ohio, fun in the snow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information