Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

$8500 dollars to spend what would you do ?

This is a discussion on $8500 dollars to spend what would you do ? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Not disputing that they don't put down good numbers... Just that they have issues. With anything, ...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Not disputing that they don't put down good numbers...

Just that they have issues. With anything, some people like to just spend as little as possible to get a good bang for their buck and not think about long-term.
    $8500 can fund a nice 550hp heartbeat...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    $8500 can fund a nice 550hp heartbeat...
    I suppose.....I'm into mine for 12K....and I'm just over stock power with another 10K probably to go to be complete.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjm View Post
    the tyranny should be under $2k. I was going to sobs swap and a new built stage 3 guaranteed to 700ftlbs of tq with no trade was going to be $2k shipped to my door or shop, from tick performance. I agree with a new rear and the heads and cam will give you some good power or if you can find a deal like my friend who got.a.used vortech charger for $2500 that will also give.you a good gain especially if you have enough left for.a.good cam spec'd for the blower.
    my trans guy told me 700 cash money and he would make it hold 700hp but i doubt ill ever get there so im good for now $2000 that bitch better hold 1500 hp lol!!

pewter
    99 trans am

I suppose.....I'm into mine for 12K....and I'm just over stock power with another 10K probably to go to be complete.
    are you factoring the cost of the car into that 12k? i mean, with 12k you should have one bad ass street machine if you know how to shop...

pewter
    2000 T/A WS.6

U may have one badass enggine that can't put any of it to the groud. Or u could do what 35th did and work from the back up. He can hold a lot of power now and put it to the ground when he gets the engine done. Just cus u have 500 hp don'tean ur fast if u cant put more the 200 to the floor

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

are you factoring the cost of the car into that 12k? i mean, with 12k you should have one bad ass street machine if you know how to shop...
    No - Car cost was 32K brand new back in 2002.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by FBracing1222 View Post
    U may have one badass enggine that can't put any of it to the groud. Or u could do what 35th did and work from the back up. He can hold a lot of power now and put it to the ground when he gets the engine done. Just cus u have 500 hp don'tean ur fast if u cant put more the 200 to the floor
    Oh it can be done... Don't get me wrong, I ain't knockin his car at ... It's a beautiful machine.... All I'm saying is bargain shopping is key...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My goal is to handle 650...without breaking...and putting that to the ground effectively. Should be there summer of 2011.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

imo the sts are a cheaper and easier way to go not to mention that they sound absolutely awesome but thats just my opinion

flyinpastu
    when you buy the sts kit is there anything else that you need to get for it to work and how hard is it to install do i need a shop to do it ? if i dont go with the sts turbo and go with a suspension set up , a nice rear , drive shaft , transmission set up and a head cam package with a zex wet system how much would that run me and what kinda hp would i be looking at ?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpastu View Post
    when you buy the sts kit is there anything else that you need to get for it to work and how hard is it to install do i need a shop to do it ? if i dont go with the sts turbo and go with a suspension set up , a nice rear , drive shaft , transmission set up and a head cam package with a zex wet system how much would that run me and what kinda hp would i be looking at ?
    sfc's, new rear end, tranny, heads/cam.....probly went over the $8500 mark by a little ...

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpastu View Post
    the sts kit is purely bolt on from what i hear but i knw that you have to change the fuel pump and injectors not to mention tune it. personally i would have a shop install it that has done a few of them

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

I feel you i think its time to sell the GSXR 1000 and beef up the camaro!!!!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    imo the sts are a cheaper and easier way to go not to mention that they sound absolutely awesome but thats just my opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    the sts kit is purely bolt on from what i hear but i knw that you have to change the fuel pump and injectors not to mention tune it. personally i would have a shop install it that has done a few of them
    So you are talking up the STS kit with 0 personal experience with it?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

My goal is to handle 650...without breaking...and putting that to the ground effectively.
    This.

I'm following this approach as well, namely following pajeff's, by building a car that can properly handle the power. You don't know too much adding power to a f-body if your first instinct is to turbo/supercharge and think that's most important. Handling the power is as important as having it. What's the point of having 500+ HP on stock suspension, stock tires, stock rear end, or even stock tranny? Just to break it all in the near future?

1. Rear end done first ~$3000. Weakest point on our cars, next to the uni-body. Getting a good gear ratio will wake your car up.
    2. Proper suspension, I'd reccomend UMI (SFC, LCA's, panhard, torque arm, ETC) this can vary in price, but around $500-$1200
    3. I'd look into a new drive shaft, think they only run ~$200
    4. Tires. Sticky, sticky tires.

You'll be running a pretty solid machine this way, with a upgraded transmission, you'd be solid for many many horses.

Just my .02

pewter
    99 trans am

what have you experienced with it? not pickin fights, just wanna know what youve seen...

flyinpastu
    Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    This.

I'm following this approach as well, namely following pajeff's, by building a car that can properly handle the power. You don't know too much adding power to a f-body if your first instinct is to turbo/supercharge and think that's most important. Handling the power is as important as having it. What's the point of having 500+ HP on stock suspension, stock tires, stock rear end, or even stock tranny? Just to break it all in the near future?

1. Rear end done first ~$3000. Weakest point on our cars, next to the uni-body. Getting a good gear ratio will wake your car up.
    2. Proper suspension, I'd reccomend UMI (SFC, LCA's, panhard, torque arm, ETC) this can vary in price, but around $500-$1200
    3. I'd look into a new drive shaft, think they only run ~$200
    4. Tires. Sticky, sticky tires.

You'll be running a pretty solid machine this way, with a upgraded transmission, you'd be solid for many many horses.

Just my .02

yea im thinking that this is the way im going to go , rebuild trans , drive shaft, rear end , suspension , and if i have any money left over im going to do the motor

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

what have you experienced with it? not pickin fights, just wanna know what youve seen...
    I've "seen" a few people who are friends that have ran them and have since sold them. I've also read problems about them on here and over on tech.

Have I ever had one installed on one of my vehicle's? No I haven't. I wouldn't install something I've read bad things about...that's just me.

I've "seen" how they look installed on Camaro's. You can clearly see the turbo head unit and piping under the car. It looks like shit (again, the ones I have seen).

When you have a rear mount, the head unit itself is much further away from the engine...turbos run on exhaust gas pressure...therefore by the time the exhaust gas is that far from the engine...it is slower..producing more boost lag. You also lose gas heat. This creates less power and less efficient. Not good from the way I understand a turbo works...

The other thing is it is totally exposed to outside elements...so it can be damaged quite easily.

Finally...it can easily be stolen!

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

yup

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

I've "seen" a few people who are friends that have ran them and have since sold them. I've also read problems about them on here and over on tech.

Have I ever had one installed on one of my vehicle's? No I haven't. I wouldn't install something I've read bad things about...that's just me.

I've "seen" how they look installed on Camaro's. You can clearly see the turbo head unit and piping under the car. It looks like shit (again, the ones I have seen).

When you have a rear mount, the head unit itself is much further away from the engine...turbos run on exhaust gas pressure...therefore by the time the exhaust gas is that far from the engine...it is slower..producing more boost lag. You also lose gas heat. This creates less power and less efficient. Not good from the way I understand a turbo works...

The other thing is it is totally exposed to outside elements...so it can be damaged quite easily.

Finally...it can easily be stolen!
    and im not trying to pick a fight either just voicing my opinion i just think that it would be something worth trying out seing as though you almost never see them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information