Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

$1,100 to fix A/C on TA

This is a discussion on $1,100 to fix A/C on TA within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Compressor Dryer Condensor Orifice Tube Oil charge If you just have a leak & didn't kill your compressor, you can ...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Compressor
    Dryer
    Condensor
    Orifice Tube
    Oil charge

If you just have a leak & didn't kill your compressor, you can get away with a vacuum & re-charge.
    If it's been open to the outside air for any length of time it would be good to
    replace the dryer & orifice tube also.
    If the compressor went, you need all parts listed + a flush to remove the bits & pieces of debris, then vacuumed & re-charged & a shot of PAG oil too.

Now you may get some arguments on this, but what I've outlined should get the job done so you won't have any problems in the near future.
    I'm open to learn any better method, but this would be my way of doing it.
    Last edited by rbob93; 07-14-2009 at 02:03 PM.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Ok, I guess the pros have to chime in now. Before you "vent" the system let me know. I want to be there with my camera so I can make a quick 10,000 reward for turning you in for releasing refridgerant into the atmophere. Once the ststem is empty change compressor. At that point is is a good idea to replace the dryer also, this traps moisture and contamants in the system. The a long vaccum needs to be put on system to evaporate all the moisture in the system. Charging in the easy part. You will hear the clutch cutting in and out. Once the clutch stays running it is charged. Now in your right hand hold a cold beer. Perferably Coors light and make sure the mountains are blue. Now grab the big line coming off the compressor, should be same temp.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

We're talking about a system that has already been vented via a leak so don't cash that check quite yet.

Our systems take 24oz of refrigerant for a vacuumed system.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ive got the same problem with my A/C compressor. apparently its leaking and it will cost me $813 installed. I saw some other estimates on here and now I am wondering if this is a bad deal.

I have ZERO know how in doing any of this shit. Vacuums, lines, refilling...
    General rule of thumb, everytime your AC stops working, expect to pay about $1000 to have it fixed.
    Yes there are a examples when it only costs a couple hundred dollars to fix an AC system and yes there are cheaper parts out there that can bring the cost down (if you trust the cheap parts to last).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information