Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

whats my rwhp?

This is a discussion on whats my rwhp? within the Dyno Information forums, part of the Racing Forums category; i plan on going to get my car dynoed i was just wondering what i can expect?i have a 10 ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    minneasota
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11

    black
    2001 Trans am ws6

    whats my rwhp?

    i plan on going to get my car dynoed i was just wondering what i can expect?i have a 10 over bore with forged dimond pistons proformance hot cam dynatech headers and 3inch flow master cat back system.would apreciate the feed back thanks.

  2. #2
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    375 RWHP.
    Is it tuned??
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    minneasota
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11

    black
    2001 Trans am ws6

    ya it was tuned by a place called- TPIS- in chanhassen Minneasota they are very good.
    Last edited by D-millar; 06-21-2006 at 06:19 AM.

  4. #4
    Member Mach1Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    203

    Blue
    04 Mach 1

    then why dont you know the hp?

  5. #5
    '03 Mach 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    74

    Grey
    2003 Mach 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach1Mustang View Post
    then why dont you know the hp?
    +1

  6. #6
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    because most places do not tune on a dyno

  7. #7
    '03 Mach 1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    PA
    Age
    51
    Posts
    74

    Grey
    2003 Mach 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    because most places do not tune on a dyno
    Really?

    EVERY place I've ever taken any of my cars tuned on the dyno...

  8. #8
    Member Mach1Mustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    203

    Blue
    04 Mach 1

    same here

  9. #9
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    nope around here by me at least you got to pay a whole hell of a lot more for a dyno tune. mine was tuned on the street

  10. #10
    Member ProwlerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    33
    Posts
    404

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    nope around here by me at least you got to pay a whole hell of a lot more for a dyno tune. mine was tuned on the street
    Agreed, while dyno tuning is obviously beneficial, here in SC, up until about a week ago, the only option was a street tune. My car was dyno tuned in NC about 3 hours away. Even with the local place now, it's a guy using another guy's dyno, so of what I think is a $400 charge, I'm paying the guy to pay someone else. I enjoy a good tune, and it's typically good hp/$ but $400 for an hour or two of no-sweat work? Apparently I need to get in the dyno tuning business
    She's baaaaaccccck...

    '02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

  11. #11
    dyno tuning is the way to go

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    1
    Dyno tuning is great if all you ever do is leave your car in 1:1 gear and expect to get 0mpg.
    Dyno tuning (none motored) is a tool for tuning but what is most important is how the vehicle performs in the REAL world. Some might like to brag about their rwhp numbers, others their gas milage, and some stick to the good old 1/4 mile. For me, it's a blend of the last 2. Street tuning gets you the mpg and mannors while 1/4 mile tuning gets you the ET. The dyno can be for all you bench racers. Keep in mind you do NOT need a dyno for a wideband o2 reading. Running a wideband at the track and watching each gear change your AFR can be a real eye opener towards why dyno tuning isn't the end all be all tune.
    Dyno tuning will get you -90 to 90% of perfect and the rest is on the street and track.
    D-millar, the cam and headers probably got you to 360+rwhp. The bore, pistons, and cat-back are feather weights. Tuning might get you 380+, no way to be sure but who cares? Just take it to the track and get a feel for it. It's a lot cheaper and TONS more fun. Then, post your vehicle weight, the conditions, and your mph. Compare with those that have both track time and dyno numbers. See, you saved some bones and had fun. Later

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    minneasota
    Age
    32
    Posts
    11

    black
    2001 Trans am ws6

    thanks for the advice guys! i just got back for racing and my car ran a 13.0 at 105mph the conditions where hot! and i had some horiable short times but still had a blast.

  14. #14
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by JPrevost View Post
    Dyno tuning is great if all you ever do is leave your car in 1:1 gear and expect to get 0mpg.
    Dyno tuning (none motored) is a tool for tuning but what is most important is how the vehicle performs in the REAL world. Some might like to brag about their rwhp numbers, others their gas milage, and some stick to the good old 1/4 mile. For me, it's a blend of the last 2. Street tuning gets you the mpg and mannors while 1/4 mile tuning gets you the ET. The dyno can be for all you bench racers. Keep in mind you do NOT need a dyno for a wideband o2 reading. Running a wideband at the track and watching each gear change your AFR can be a real eye opener towards why dyno tuning isn't the end all be all tune.
    Dyno tuning will get you -90 to 90% of perfect and the rest is on the street and track.
    D-millar, the cam and headers probably got you to 360+rwhp. The bore, pistons, and cat-back are feather weights. Tuning might get you 380+, no way to be sure but who cares? Just take it to the track and get a feel for it. It's a lot cheaper and TONS more fun. Then, post your vehicle weight, the conditions, and your mph. Compare with those that have both track time and dyno numbers. See, you saved some bones and had fun. Later

    Your concept about tuning for a mix of gas mileage and 1/4 mile performance is very interesting. The next time you are at a National meet remember to tell John Force, Greg Anderson and all the other top competitors that they are wasting their time tuning on dynos. I am sure thay will listen to you and appreciate all the money, gas and time you will be saving them. BTW, what method do you use to tune your car? And how exactly do you do it? After each run? What tuning changes do you do between runs if that's what you do?
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

  15. #15
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by D-millar View Post
    thanks for the advice guys! i just got back for racing and my car ran a 13.0 at 105mph the conditions where hot! and i had some horiable short times but still had a blast.
    105 mph with a 3,500 lb car equates to about 316rwhp which is probably somewhere around 372 hp at the fly wheel. So you have added about 47 hp. Stock would probably run around 13.4.
    The fly wheel estimate is using a 15% loss factor.
    Last edited by GA Country Boy; 08-07-2006 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added some more info

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ms
    Posts
    57
    Stock our cars are 350@ the flywheel.

  17. #17
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by D-millar View Post
    thanks for the advice guys! i just got back for racing and my car ran a 13.0 at 105mph the conditions where hot! and i had some horiable short times but still had a blast.
    What altitude are you at? Plus hot weather makes the actual density altitude worse. If you are not at sea level you won't be seeing actual full horsepower potential from your engine in the real world due to less volumetric efficiency, where as the chassis dyno results are corrected figures that consider altitude power loss with other factors to generate a corrected rwhp figure. So therefor your mile an hour at the track will give you a calculation of how much hp your making at the given density altitude in real world conditions. Where as the chassis dyno gives you max rwhp readings based off an idealized correction factor that compensates for density altitude. The dyno is a good reference for tuning and comparing performance gains from upgrades, but the track is also very beneficial too for tuning if you have the resources. I say just take your car to the dyno and see what she'll do! Plus run at the track and have a good time.

  18. #18
    Gold Member BlwnCamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Las Cruces,NM
    Age
    40
    Posts
    473

    Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    Your concept about tuning for a mix of gas mileage and 1/4 mile performance is very interesting. The next time you are at a National meet remember to tell John Force, Greg Anderson and all the other top competitors that they are wasting their time tuning on dynos. I am sure thay will listen to you and appreciate all the money, gas and time you will be saving them. BTW, what method do you use to tune your car? And how exactly do you do it? After each run? What tuning changes do you do between runs if that's what you do?
    Good points, but also remember we are talking about mostly daily driven street/strip cars on this forum, not super dollar 4 second drag cars. I think it's safe to say that tuning methods between the two have considrably different factors involved albeit similar methods for testing and tuning(dyno,track). Plus John Force and the top fuel and funny car guys and everybody does do there final tuning on the car based on data from the track runs, hence the use of super high dollar data logging equipment utilized during track runs. Because the car does respond differently in the real world vs. the dyno. I think its safe to say that under ideal circumstances an individual or race team for that matter, would be best benefited to be able to utilize tuning under both dyno and track conditions. However not every average ls1 hot rodder, or any other for that matter, has the resources and or equipment and money to tune an efi setup on the dyno and at the track.

  19. #19
    Member GA Country Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    182

    Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by perkdaddy08 View Post
    Stock our cars are 350@ the flywheel.
    What cars are "our cars"?. I see members here with Trans Ams, Z28's, '70 chevelle, Mustang, vettes and others (you don't even tell us what you have). Do they ALL have "350hp@ the flywheel"?The initiator of this thread has a 2001 Trans Am ws6 and that's what I was referring to which was advertised at 320 hp, but went to 325hp in 2001.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    139

    Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    What cars are "our cars"?. I see members here with Trans Ams, Z28's, '70 chevelle, Mustang, vettes and others (you don't even tell us what you have). Do they ALL have "350hp@ the flywheel"?The initiator of this thread has a 2001 Trans Am ws6 and that's what I was referring to which was advertised at 320 hp, but went to 325hp in 2001.
    Well figuring this is "LS1.com" I would presume he meant LS1 cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I need to get 500 rwhp
    By silver35thss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM
  2. whats my rwhp
    By mr_r0bert0 in forum Dyno Information
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
  3. want 350 -400 rwhp
    By 2002 LS1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
  4. 550 RWHP 383 Z06 VS 770 RWHP Supra MKIV
    By LS1 RX7 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
  5. 257.8 rwhp, whats wrong with this junk...????
    By redz284u in forum Dyno Information
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •