Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

What do stock LS1's dyno/run in the 1/4?

This is a discussion on What do stock LS1's dyno/run in the 1/4? within the Dyno Information forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by GA Country Boy Your interpretation of 'stock' is a liitle different from NHRA's which defines 'stock' in ...

WishIHadAPantera
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Country Boy View Post
    Your interpretation of 'stock' is a liitle different from NHRA's which defines 'stock' in TEN pages of rules in their rulebook. The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) has been the premier sanctioning organization of drag racing for more than 50 years and sanctions more than 5,000 events annually in the USA and Canada.
    The NHRA Stock class records I was referring to were:
    A/FIA 9:91@132.43 05/15/06 Ryan McClanahan, Alto Loma, CA '02 Firebird
    B/FIA 10:62 03/13/06 Frank Genovesi, Yorktown, NY '98 Firebird
    C/FIA 10:68@124.20 04/04/06 Jack Matyas, Bethlehem, PA '98 Camaro
    I'm very familiar with who the NHRA is.... Soooo, what is the summary of the 10 pages of what stock means? Or do I need to go look them up? Like I said, I wasn't hating, I just want to know what the definition of stock is so I don't have to listen to some tool telling his buddies that an LS1 will run 10s off the showroom floor because he saw it here...

NASCAR stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.... but if someone came on and said those cars were "stock" and the record for this or that was 200mph they would get laughed off the site... I realize the NHRA has a stock class, but the interpretation is grossly different than when people are talking about a car being stock here...
    Last edited by WishIHadAPantera; 09-01-2006 at 12:56 PM.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by WishIHadAPantera View Post
    I'm very familiar with who the NHRA is.... Soooo, what is the summary of the 10 pages of what stock means? Or do I need to go look them up? Like I said, I wasn't hating, I just want to know what the definition of stock is so I don't have to listen to some tool telling his buddies that an LS1 will run 10s off the showroom floor because he saw it here...

NASCAR stands for National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing.... but if someone came on and said those cars were "stock" and the record for this or that was 200mph they would get laughed off the site... I realize the NHRA has a stock class, but the interpretation is grossly different than when people are talking about a car being stock here...
    You're absolutely right. What is 'stock' to one person may not mean stock to somebody else. Everything is open to interpretation. As to the NHRA Rule Book,
    I would hate to attempt to precis it down since it is so specific and technical
    and any attempts to do so would just omit a bunch of stuff.
    I can understand your thinking, because when I first got into drag racing I felt the same way "how could these cars possibly be stock" I kept asking myself (and others). Then I learned what is really involved in preparing a 'stock' car (and won a few trophies in the process). Many would not call some
    stock cars 'stock'. (I have a friend who puts down considerably less rwhp than me, but gets to the other end a lot quicker, but these are not stock).

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just my two cents but I always thought "Stock" was what you purchased off the show room floor...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Cailey37, The whole "stock" car deal in Nascar is kinda like the "street" car deal in Drag racing at the track huh.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by SSmoky01 View Post
    Cailey37, The whole "stock" car deal in Nascar is kinda like the "street" car deal in Drag racing at the track huh.
    NHRA actually has more classes for "Stock" cars (46) than they do "Street" classes probably because it started as a 'grass roots' for street cars.
    There is really only one 'Street' class (Super Street) although the track optional 'Super Pro','Pro' and 'Sportsman' classes could also be considered Street classes. In reality all the cars in the stock classes could be driven on the street and probably most of the 'Street' classes.

NASCAR on the other hand attempts to equalize the competition, and
    as far as horsepower is concerned, NASCARís rules limit engine displacement, compression, carburetion, and the basic configuration and dimensions of the cylinder heads so no single vehicle manufacturer theoretically has a significant advantage over another. Not many would consider these cars 'Stock' the way we consider 'Stock' drag cars and probably would not be able to meet the rules to enter any of the "Stock' Drag Classes.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SSmoky01 View Post
    Well I know I can't walk onto a Chevrolet dealership and buy a 700hp "stock" car........my thought about a car being stock is just that......you've done nothing to it and it's as it was when it was built on the assembly line.......I mean hell....I tell people when they ask what's in my car all I have is a K&N Air Filter and chip..... I tell them that turbo sound is just a booster for the A/C.......

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

cailey37 said: "I tell them that turbo sound is just a booster for the A/C......."

You must like your A/C really COLD!!!
    BTW, did you get my PM about Vengeance?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

cailey37 said: "I tell them that turbo sound is just a booster for the A/C......."

You must like your A/C really COLD!!!
    BTW, did you get my PM about Vengeance?
    Sure did...thanks......I'm going to try and call them and see if I can't get them to take a look at the car........

White
    2001 Z28 M6

I'm convinced you should be running a lot faster than you are (according to the article you told us to read). Why would you think anybody would doubt you're in the 13's when all the other stockers are too? Especially when stock LS1 auto 'F' Bodies have set records in the 9's and 10's. (See my previous post) Maybe if you
    had told us your "bone stock" car was running 8's we might be forgiven for being a little dubious, but not 13's.
    I definately should be running better than I am... I am not the best driver. I have had a few people tell me flat out my car isn't stock because I should be in the 14s... .. My post was for those people...

Of course i have seen people claim their STOCK Fbody has gone 11s..and I saw shake my head... too much misinformation out there.

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
    I definately should be running better than I am... I am not the best driver. I have had a few people tell me flat out my car isn't stock because I should be in the 14s... .. My post was for those people...

Of course i have seen people claim their STOCK Fbody has gone 11s..and I saw shake my head... too much misinformation out there.
    We had a big discussion in another thread about what is stock and what isn't and there are a lot of different opinions. IF you go by NHRA rules as to stock classes there are indeed 'stock' cars that are running 9's & 10's and will (sadly)
    blow my NOT stock BLOWN car away!!! BUT I do agree with you about there being a lot of "misinformation" around. Unfortunately one problem with the internet is anybody can say anything they want true or false. (And many do)

Anyway I have to go back to work on my latest 'Go Fast' invention that will make you go much faster at little cost. I haven't come up with a name for it yet since 'meth' isn't new and wouldn't be good for marketing, but I'm thinking something like 'speed'...8-)
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

99 pontiac trans am

so what is the real dyno to stock engine ls1 98-02

rwhp stock how much it do....

99 pontiac trans am

ttt

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fredy View Post
    so what is the real dyno to stock engine ls1 98-02

rwhp stock how much it do....
    The M6's dyno around 290-300WHP, while the A4's dyno 270-280WHP. Many have dyno'd higher, but thats basically what you can expect from a stock car.

white
    02 SS Camaro

Just got the car off the dyno a couple of hour's ago. It is a bone stock 02ss.
    The result's, 309rwhp and 324 rwtq.It has 43000 miles on it.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

My stock WS6 ran 306/323 with best time of 13.48 @ 103.. but getting modsw SOON!
    Last edited by Silver Streak; 10-08-2006 at 04:39 PM.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS View Post
    Just got the car off the dyno a couple of hour's ago. It is a bone stock 02ss.
    The result's, 309rwhp and 324 rwtq.It has 43000 miles on it.
    m6 or a4? and what options did yours come with power wise?

Red
    02' Z28 M6

2000 and 2001 Z28 M6 Bone stock (even paper filter still) both at around 3k, both were at 299-300RWHP. That is 6 runs between 2 cars on the same dyno. I would say pretty accurate.

red
    02 pontiac ws6

my 02 ws6 a4 ran a 13.29 @ 104 absolutely stock first time at track, with even a stock lid. got a little more now, havent been to the track since pacesetter lt, 3' ory and slp II, and 4.10s, hopefully i will be mid 12s, also after tune.

Black
    99 WS6

My stock 99 WS6 with an auto ran a 10.9 in the 1000ft...that should be 13.0-13.2 in the 1/4.

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    My stock 99 WS6 with an auto ran a 10.9 in the 1000ft...that should be 13.0-13.2 in the 1/4.
    Maybe, maybe not, do you know your mph in the 1000 ft?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread Information