Thread: Low numbers...?

Pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Low numbers...?

Just dynoed my car a few weeks ago and was disappointed at my numbers. I got 365/355 on a Dynojet. It should have been closer to 400RWHP. It's a "cam only" '99 LS1 SS Camaro with 70,000 miles with typ bolt-ons. I still have the LS1 intake which I know is hurting me maybe 10-15hp. The graph is attached.....

PatrickG Custom Spec Cam
    Dur @.050 230/230
    Lift .612”/.592”
    LSA 110 +4 advance

Mods List:
    -LT headers with 3" true duals with Xpipe, no cats, no EGR
    -Patriot Extreme springs, Comp hardened pushrods, LS6 ported oil pump
    -LS2 timing chain, LS7 Clutch, MTI lid with K&N, fernco, Granatelli MAF

The A/F was around 12.6 and 26* timing. Motor runs awesome 100%, no smoking, no missing, drives very good and pulls hard. Sorry, I don't have any numbers before the cam. Any ideas on what I can check or what may have caused the low numbers? Thanks

Black
    2005 GTO

I'm assuming you got a tune with that cam. I'd think about ditching that granatelli maf or maybe do another couple pulls with a stocker and see what happens, I've never heard anything good about gran maf's. With that cam the ls6 would help alot I would put a solid 15hp for the ls6 with your mods that ls1 manifold is a choking point for your motor.

On a side note your numbers make me feel good cause I have no cam just bolt ons and put 358hp/369ft lbs. I'm beinging to think my car is a factory freak.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I'm assuming you got a tune with that cam. I'd think about ditching that granatelli maf or maybe do another couple pulls with a stocker and see what happens, I've never heard anything good about gran maf's. With that cam the ls6 would help alot I would put a solid 15hp for the ls6 with your mods that ls1 manifold is a choking point for your motor.

On a side note your numbers make me feel good cause I have no cam just bolt ons and put 358hp/369ft lbs. I'm beinging to think my car is a factory freak.
    The guy who tuned it showed me an '02 Camaro Dyno graph with just headers and exhaust who pulled 368hp. I was pissed because I have all these mods done including a cam, and 3 less hp! He said the '99 heads are hurting me some, but I thought they were pretty close to the 01-02 heads?? I also asked him if the Granatelli MAF could be hurting my numbers, he said NO because he just tuned it and it makes no difference if it's stock or a granatelli, it will work exactly the same. I too heard that a lot of people have problems with those Granatelli MAF, even though he said it's fine,I'm still temped to try a stock one...

Black
    2005 GTO

I'm pretty sure there were no changes to the heads other than the valve cover bolt pattern other than that they are the same as any other year. The only internal differance was cam 98-00 had a larger cam than 01-02. One other thing that would affect your numbers is the ls7 clutch, its an extra 8lbs heaveir, with that being rotational mass its going to have more of an effect on hp. It's not going to be a huge loss but I would gues in the 8-10 hp range. With that and the lack of ls6 mani thats an extra 20-25hp which would put you in the 385-390 range which sounds alittle better for your mods. This is kinda an obvious one but be sure you've got all your regualar maintence done, fluids, filters, plugs wire ect.

As for the maf like I said I have heard nothing good about them. I've heard over time they loose there calibration causing problems. This is all hearsay but there's a reason 99% of the guys making big numbers still run a stock maf.

Pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Thanks for your help JonB, I might just have to try a stock MAF. It's the only thing I have on my car that's different from others have that are making close to 400rwhp cam only. The Granetelli MAF was already on there when I bought the car, thats the only reason i have one.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Always remember dyno numbers mean absolutely shit. Just take it to the track and see what she will run. As said in previous post put your stock MAF back on and try again I have heard of people losing 10-15 hp with the gran MAF.

Pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by GotN2O View Post
    Always remember dyno numbers mean absolutely shit. Just take it to the track and see what she will run. As said in previous post put your stock MAF back on and try again I have heard of people losing 10-15 hp with the gran MAF.
    Even after being tuned? Either way, I wanna try the stock MAF...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS

Yes even with tuning I couldnt tell you why but I have seen and heard about people losing power with the granatelli MAF.

All Go No Show
    2002 Z28

Your tuner is right nseldy the 853 cylinder heads on your car that are found on 98-00 f-bodies do not flow as much CFM as the 2001-2002 241 casting cylinders heads..
    Along with you still having a LS-1 Intake is hurting you also..
    I agree with everyone else Lose the Granatelli MAF
    Because if your tuner is any good he can tell by viewing your Maf tables if you require a bigger Maf or descreening of the stock Maf..
    But with the power you are making you definitely don't need a larger than stock diameter Maf..

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

its unanimous on the MAF. I have a gran. MAF and I have had nothing but problems, tuned to 13.0 A/F and she will all of a sudden just go rich on her own down to 11s.

But like stated above, numbers do not mean shit. Not to mention, shops can inflate ones numbers very easily. The shop you took it to could have easily made it show about 40 HP higher. Be happy with the low number and go spank some higher numbers who like to brag about their dyno queens. LOL. If you run a LT, bolt-ons only car that has similar numbers just watch how you pull away, that will tell you better than the dyno on how your car ACTUALLY runs.

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

thats exactly what i was gonna say. ^^^ Race someone with the same or slightly less mods and compare that way.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Killer powerband though.

I run 6 degrees more timing than you do, maybe bump it up a little. Although, your tuner would know best with that cam. I know very little about tuning for a cam.

Thread Information