LPM
    2000 Z28

Dyno has me a little confused

This weekend I had my car tuned and put on the dyno. After getting my numbers I called a buddy of mine with a cobra that always runs his mouth. He was on a mustang dyno only a week earlier but to end the argument I talked the tuner into letting him come down and make a pull on the same dyno as me, same day. What has me confused is that he put down about 15rwhp less on the dynojet than the mustang dyno and the same thing happened between these two dynos 2 weeks ago with a new 5.0 mustang. I know the mustang dyno is known to read lower numbers but both cases showed this mustang dyno to read 6% higher than where I go. Is it likely the other guys fluffs his numbers up a bit or I missing something?

My numbers seemed about right and if they were 6% higher I'd honestly doubt them

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure I understand your question really...yes, the mustang dyno will dyno lower than the dynojet. That in itself explains the difference in his numbers. What did you and him dyno on the dyonjet though? Got me curious now. What mods do you guys have?

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question really...yes, the mustang dyno will dyno lower than the dynojet. That in itself explains the difference in his numbers. What did you and him dyno on the dyonjet though? Got me curious now. What mods do you guys have?
    That's the thing. His cobra put down 303 on the mustang dyno and 289 on the dynojet. Also, 2 weeks ago a 5.0 read 385 on the dynojet and 408 on the mustang dyno. Both 6% higher on the mustang dyno. Always heard that mustang dynos showed lower so I was wondering if this guy was over correcting his numbers or something. My bolt on ls1 put down right at 340. If it read 6% higher like the other two did and said 360... I'd find that a little hard to believe with my ls1 intake

LPM
    2000 Z28

TTT still looking for some opinions

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I never liked using a Mustang Dyno, always had different readings. I always use a Dynojet now.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I never liked using a Mustang Dyno, always had different readings. I always use a Dynojet now.
    After all the hassle I went through with this one I won't ever put my car on one. Had to listen to my buddy tell me that mustang dynos show 14% low or something like that and how he was really 335-345 for about a week. That's why I talked him into coming down and making a pull on the dynojet right after me. Plus I got to shut him up about his cobra. All around win for my day. +1 for f-bodies

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This is why bragging rights are made at the track, not on the DYNO.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is why bragging rights are made at the track, not on the DYNO.
    I agree 100%. This is the only guy I will give hell over it. Just because he was right after me at the same shop. Aside from that numbers are only numbers. If you can't hook and use them on the track, what good are they anyways?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Do you have the DYNO sheets? Are you 100% positive that the person given you the information is giving you the right information from the Mustang DYNO?

Nothing was done to the car on either DYNO pull?

Seems VERY odd to me that the numbers are higher on the Mustang DYNO. The only thing that makes sense is that the tuner using the Mustang DYNO could have made some adjustments while making the pull to inflate the numbers.

What was the A/F on each pull from both DYNO readings?

LPM
    2000 Z28

I've seen his sheet saying 303 and went with him to pick the car up. Saw the mustang dyno. I'm not sure on the air fuel but I'll take a look into it. Seems that ford tuner is fudging his numbers to keep his customers happy lol

Thread Information