Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

berger meets the dyno...

This is a discussion on berger meets the dyno... within the Dyno Information forums, part of the Racing Forums category; put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. ...

  1. #1
    Member hoosierSS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    241

    Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

    berger meets the dyno...

    put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. feels good to officially know where i'm at, as far as numbers go. i dont have the chart scanned or anything...but here are the numbers:

    329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

    to be honest, it was a little better than I expected. as far as I know, it's pretty much a lid and a GMMG as far as power increase over stock goes. there must be some computer tuning as well, it was locked up tight by berger.

  2. #2
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    That's awesome research! I always wondered what they dynoed at.

    1. What kind of dyno?
    2. You can't get into the computer to tune it?

  3. #3
    Member hoosierSS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    241

    Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

    Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    That's awesome research! I always wondered what they dynoed at.

    1. What kind of dyno?
    2. You can't get into the computer to tune it?
    Dynojet; and ya, completely locked out. even tried a local chevy dealership (know guy there), and they couldn't get in!

  4. #4
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    nice!! i bet you can get a mail order tune for it. Frost does them

  5. #5
    Member WARP211's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FairField, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    398

    RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. feels good to officially know where i'm at, as far as numbers go. i dont have the chart scanned or anything...but here are the numbers:

    329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

    to be honest, it was a little better than I expected. as far as I know, it's pretty much a lid and a GMMG as far as power increase over stock goes. there must be some computer tuning as well, it was locked up tight by berger.
    huh.. interesting.. my car dyno'd on a dyna pack 4000.. almost the exact same.

    338...HP
    351...TQ

    and I have SLP CAI, SLP MASS and SLP dual exhust..

  6. #6
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    I used to really wonder what those cars had in them. That would suck if I wanted to mod and couldn't because the computer is locked out. you can always just swap computers

    I always figured those cars had a sleeper cam or something like that.

  7. #7
    Member SAGGIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    994

    RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    put the berger "380hp/400tq package" to the test today on the dyno... first time i've had a car on one. feels good to officially know where i'm at, as far as numbers go. i dont have the chart scanned or anything...but here are the numbers:

    329.59 RWHP @ 5500
    348.39 RWTQ @ 4500

    to be honest, it was a little better than I expected. as far as I know, it's pretty much a lid and a GMMG as far as power increase over stock goes. there must be some computer tuning as well, it was locked up tight by berger.
    Interesting, those numbers are great. Are the "380hp/400tq package" rating at the crank?

  8. #8
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I would be PISSED about the computer being locked.


    Nice numbers by the way.

  9. #9
    Senior Member t-rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    pocola oklahoma
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,121

    black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

    380 pkg and dynoed 329 shouldnt he be pissed i dont understand. i dont know much about these cars. but if you buy a 380 pkg should you at least dyno 350 or better on the dyno? explain please.

  10. #10
    Member hoosierSS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    241

    Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

    Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    Interesting, those numbers are great. Are the "380hp/400tq package" rating at the crank?
    Thanks. Ya, I assumed it was a crank rating from the get-go. The numbers seem to confirm that.

  11. #11
    Member hoosierSS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    241

    Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

    Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    380 pkg and dynoed 329 shouldnt he be pissed i dont understand. i dont know much about these cars. but if you buy a 380 pkg should you at least dyno 350 or better on the dyno? explain please.
    I think I would be pretty foolish to expect much more. They offer different "stages" or whatever you want to call it, this is the basic berger package. Its really mostly suspension work, as far as I can tell. Without disassembling the car or being able to get into the computer, I really don't know what they actually did to the car (frustrating).
    You know that berger is going to rate this package as high as they can to sell. Probably based on a stock LS1 putting out around 350 at the crank, plus the maximum crank output from adding a GMMG and a high flow air box, they call it 30 hp, and they throw the 380/400 numbers out there. I don't remember exactly, but I think the next stage up is like 450 or 480 hp, probably some internal work there. I don't think they expect people who buy these to throw them on the dyno to tell you the truth...

  12. #12
    Member BlackSS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    I think I would be pretty foolish to expect much more. They offer different "stages" or whatever you want to call it, this is the basic berger package. Its really mostly suspension work, as far as I can tell. Without disassembling the car or being able to get into the computer, I really don't know what they actually did to the car (frustrating).
    You know that berger is going to rate this package as high as they can to sell. Probably based on a stock LS1 putting out around 350 at the crank, plus the maximum crank output from adding a GMMG and a high flow air box, they call it 30 hp, and they throw the 380/400 numbers out there. I don't remember exactly, but I think the next stage up is like 450 or 480 hp, probably some internal work there. I don't think they expect people who buy these to throw them on the dyno to tell you the truth...
    Very interesting stuff. I bet you are right, your numbers are right on for what you would expect a lid/catback/tune car to pull. The computer lock is LAME, but you have a very nice car!

  13. #13
    Member DADillac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    IL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    184

    white
    98 Camaro Z28

    damn, my z28 dynoed 353 rwhp, i forgot the tq, slip is around here somewhere.

    i only have lid, o/r long tubes, computer tune, slp loudmouth II cat back, pullies, ac delete, egr delete.

  14. #14
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    I think I would be pretty foolish to expect much more. They offer different "stages" or whatever you want to call it, this is the basic berger package. Its really mostly suspension work, as far as I can tell. Without disassembling the car or being able to get into the computer, I really don't know what they actually did to the car (frustrating).
    You know that berger is going to rate this package as high as they can to sell. Probably based on a stock LS1 putting out around 350 at the crank, plus the maximum crank output from adding a GMMG and a high flow air box, they call it 30 hp, and they throw the 380/400 numbers out there. I don't remember exactly, but I think the next stage up is like 450 or 480 hp, probably some internal work there. I don't think they expect people who buy these to throw them on the dyno to tell you the truth...
    the looks of the car is good for another 50rwhplol You need to send us LOTS of pictures of this car. Looks really good!

  15. #15
    Member SAGGIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    994

    RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierSS02 View Post
    Thanks. Ya, I assumed it was a crank rating from the get-go. The numbers seem to confirm that.
    i'd be pissed off cause if they advertize numbers it should numbers that the asphat is feeling. they don't rate other cars that way. i.e. Camaro SS rated at 325hp, that's horsepower at the wheels not the crank and on the sticker that's what it says.

  16. #16
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    i'd be pissed off cause if they advertize numbers it should numbers that the asphat is feeling. they don't rate other cars that way. i.e. Camaro SS rated at 325hp, that's horsepower at the wheels not the crank and on the sticker that's what it says.
    I've never seen a sticker that said 325 on the ground. I have my window sticker(gm not slp) and it doesn't say 325 on the ground. Mine just says "325 horse power." I do agree about the ratings, they should only reflect whats on the pavement. I think ours is more that way than those mustangs because we pimp slap them so much!

  17. #17
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    The only reason they have to lock your PCM is that they are ashamed of what they have done in there. There is NOTHING "proprietary" that they or anyone else does. There is nothing new under the sun.

    I would be infuriated that they had the nerve to lock it up and make it useless.

  18. #18
    LTX N20LT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    2,006
    10's N/A

    Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    i'd be pissed off cause if they advertize numbers it should numbers that the asphat is feeling. they don't rate other cars that way. i.e. Camaro SS rated at 325hp, that's horsepower at the wheels not the crank and on the sticker that's what it says.
    There is virtually no one out there that will rate a car, or performance package by the true output - i.e. rear-wheel horsepower. Berger, Saleen, Roush, etc. etc. all rate their cars by FWHP. What his Berger put down is about right for the 380hp package.

    Now the fact that the computer is locked just plain sucks. I wonder why?

  19. #19
    Member BlackSS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lexington, NC
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    There is virtually no one out there that will rate a car, or performance package by the true output - i.e. rear-wheel horsepower. Berger, Saleen, Roush, etc. etc. all rate their cars by FWHP. What his Berger put down is about right for the 380hp package.

    Now the fact that the computer is locked just plain sucks. I wonder why?
    You are right. Think about it, there are a LOT of variables that impact RWHP between the flywheel and the rear tires:
    clutch condition
    rotating masses in the flywheel, transmission (AT vs. MT), driveshaft, rear end, different wheel and tire options (even OEM)
    tire pressure
    mechanical friction and wear and tear through the drivetrain
    lubrication

    Rating at the wheels manufacturers would have 20 ratings for each model. Flywheel HP not only sounds better for marketing, but it is more consistent of a number.

  20. #20
    SS#430 1 of 74 7camaro7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,754

    Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

    that sucks because what is on the ground is what really matters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. looking for car meets
    By TransamDemon2000 in forum Western Members
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 10:53 PM
  2. Any meets in DFW?
    By 01' Sevan Series TA in forum Texas Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM
  3. Any Nor Cal Meets
    By LS1core in forum Western Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
  4. Chevy Small Block Dyno Tests - Old School Meets New
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 06:40 AM
  5. Chevy Small Block Dyno Tests - Old School Meets New
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 09:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •