Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Steel/aluminum tariffs?

This is a discussion on Steel/aluminum tariffs? within the Political / Debate Forum forums, part of the Almost Anything Goes category; What's your guys thoughts? Personally I'm all for it. We need to bring as much industry as possible back here. ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Steel/aluminum tariffs?

What's your guys thoughts? Personally I'm all for it. We need to bring as much industry as possible back here. For way too long we've gotten the shit end of the stick on these deals. You can tell how favorable the current trade agreement is for other countries just by how much they bitch. The louder they bitch and threaten then better the current deal has worked for them. Canada's PM is "standing up for his country's workers". Guess what bitch???? Now we have someone standing up for ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    What's your guys thoughts? Personally I'm all for it. We need to bring as much industry as possible back here. For way too long we've gotten the shit end of the stick on these deals. You can tell how favorable the current trade agreement is for other countries just by how much they bitch. The louder they bitch and threaten then better the current deal has worked for them. Canada's PM is "standing up for his country's workers". Guess what bitch???? Now we have someone standing up for ours.
    allow me to preface; i won't profess to have knowledge of insight into all the causes/effects/consequences of these big economic/trade policies, ...however, i do tend to like the "america first" bravado, which i think has been quite effective on the foreign policy front in getting freeloaders to start having more skin in the game... this is probably good politics in many heartland states, ...effectiveness we'll have to see, but, as you say, ...if you're ticking off all the right folks, that does tell you something

...canada should stick to their maple syrup, and evaluate their ridiculous dancing commie joke of a PM....

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    allow me to preface; i won't profess to have knowledge of insight into all the causes/effects/consequences of these big economic/trade policies, ...however, i do tend to like the "america first" bravado, which i think has been quite effective on the foreign policy front in getting freeloaders to start having more skin in the game... this is probably good politics in many heartland states, ...effectiveness we'll have to see, but, as you say, ...if you're ticking off all the right folks, that does tell you something

...canada should stick to their maple syrup, and evaluate their ridiculous dancing commie joke of a PM....
    This is kind of where I'm at. I tend to think it's a good idea. So what if the price of a new truck goes up $400? It's better to give Americans a job than to line the pockets of CEO's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Bring back the industries I'm for. Long Term Tariff's = mostly bad as hell, way of doing so. How bad you ask? You can thank W. Wilson for enacting tariff's that helped bring about the Great Depression and prolonging it till WWII.

Can there be a way to use a tariff effectively and not kill yours and the worlds economy as well = maybe.

The classic tariff is we impose a tax on imported goods to help offset the cost of our goods. In theory it should work however most ppl ignore that the country you impose the tariff can do it right back at you. So eventually either one side surrenders or all parties lose.

Take the Japanese imports during the 70's and 80's. They came in the US as cheap as hell and almost crippled the US Manufacturers to the point they put pressure on Congress to add tariff's on importing them. Japan in the beginning already had extreme tariff's on all incoming goods to protect their industries as they were fragile. Because of the tariffs it added about 5-10k on the price tags. Imports were fine for a while then through negotiations they agreed to build plants here that do most of the finishing work so that they can claim "American Made", even though up to 80% of it is made outside the US, and avoid the tariff tax. This took a couple of decades to work out. It's why BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc all have built plants here. All to avoid a tariff tax. You may consider this a success but in reality all it's done is boost tax revenue and increased the cost for US consumers.

Now there is a modified tariff plan that could work. Basically it's a mirror tariff plan. Country A mirrors Country B's tariff plan. Meaning if Country B places a 3% tax on A's goods, that same tax will be placed on B's incoming goods to A. If Country C comes along and has no tariffs on B's but does on A's then C mirrors A's and B's to each respectively.

I understand why Trump wants to pressure the world to start free trade again with the US.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by OKSS View Post
    This is kind of where I'm at. I tend to think it's a good idea. So what if the price of a new truck goes up $400? It's better to give Americans a job than to line the pockets of CEO's.
    CEO's and stock owners always get paid first before a customer gets a discount. Like all taxes that $400 will be paid by the customer and never by the builder.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The balance is so far off that I don't think you can compare now to the 70's. During the 70's we were still building shit here using shit from here. Now what little we do build is mostly built with parts from somewhere else. We have to tip those scales back to favor us. Why is China stuff so cheap? Because it's junk and it's made using slave labor. German cars? Let them sell them in Germany because last I checked we still build cars here....we need to take back the industry and actually build them using shit that originates from here. We're so busy propping up all these country's economies that we've been neglecting our own. I wonder how many US companies will be in a hurry to move plants out of the states when it'll cost them more to import stuff back in?

Navy Blue Metallic

Steel/aluminum tariffs?

Also on China - no labor unions and no rap regulations.

Another industry that's going to bite us in the ass in the future is Lead. The last smelting plant in the US closed under Obama larger due to his Era's crushing regulations.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

blue
    1999 TransAm

Jack Posobiec ����Verified account @JackPosobiec 2h2 hours agoMore

Jack Posobiec ����Retweeted Maggie Haberman
    MAGA intensifies

Jack Posobiec ����added,
    Maggie HabermanVerified account @maggieNYT
    scoop - Cohn resigning Gary Cohn to Resign as Trump’s Top Economic adviser https://nyti.ms/2G02U2d

5 replies35 retweets136 likes
    Retweet

blue
    1999 TransAm

Jack Posobiec
    ���� Retweeted
    Bill MitchellVerified account @mitchellvii 4h4 hours agoMore

The fact Gary Cohn appears to be resigning confirms for anyone who doubted it, Trump will be an #AmericaFirst President no matter what any advisor says. #NoGlobalist

80 replies906 retweets2,105 likes
    Retweet

blue
    1999 TransAm

U.S. Will Be the World’s Largest Oil Producer by 2023, Says IEA

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-wil...iea-1520236810

blue
    1999 TransAm

John CardilloVerified account @johncardillo 14h14 hours agoMore

John Cardillo Retweeted ABC 7 News - WJLA
    This is what happens when you park aircraft carriers off NK’s coast and threaten tariffs on Chinese exports. China tells NK to stop the shit.

John Cardillo added,

ABC 7 News - WJLAVerified account @ABC7News
    #BREAKING: North Korea agrees to impose moratorium on nuclear and missile tests if it holds talks with U.S., per the @AP
    Show this thread

156 replies1,779 retweets4,094 likes
    Retweet

Navy Blue Metallic

^^
    How's that got to do with the Tariff subject?

BRR
    2002 SS LE

German cars? Let them sell them in Germany because last I checked we still build cars here....we need to take back the industry and actually build them using shit that originates from here.
    This is a good example of how the media outlets, car magazines, etc. are diminishing GM, Chrysler, and Ford.

Everyone thinks that BMW and Benz are better cars than a Chevy or Ford and because of that, those companies can raise their prices. I wouldn't mind car companies from other countries selling in the U.S. if they could make it reasonable. Sure they may use some better quality parts in some cases, but how a vehicle is kept and serviced will play a far bigger role in the reliability of that vehicle than the automaker.

Navy Blue Metallic

No shit, I've been in Germany and S. Korea. They have the same quality of cars on their roads as we do.

Hell servicing a BMW here in the states is a major PITA and hurts the wallet. Had a co-worker that brought his back from Germany, had it for a long, long time. He had the dealership service the vehicle and oil changes were costing him $150, tune ups were around $400-600. His last straw was the AC temp gauge for the passenger side. Once he got the quote he traded it in for a Toyota.

Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    CEO's and stock owners always get paid first before a customer gets a discount. Like all taxes that $400 will be paid by the customer and never by the builder.
    Customer will probably pay closer to 800
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

Gray/ White

This is a good example of how the media outlets, car magazines, etc. are diminishing GM, Chrysler, and Ford.

Everyone thinks that BMW and Benz are better cars than a Chevy or Ford and because of that, those companies can raise their prices. I wouldn't mind car companies from other countries selling in the U.S. if they could make it reasonable. Sure they may use some better quality parts in some cases, but how a vehicle is kept and serviced will play a far bigger role in the reliability of that vehicle than the automaker.
    Car and Driver regularly will pick a Camry over a Malibu. I don't see Honda or Toyota over charging. Caddies are in the BMW segment and those prices are comparable

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Car and Driver regularly will pick a Camry over a Malibu. I don't see Honda or Toyota over charging. Caddies are in the BMW segment and those prices are comparable
    Hondas and Toyota are more expensive than Chevy/Ford/Chrysler in comparable vehicles, but they are not nearly as overpriced as BMW and Benz. I wouldn't say Honda is overpriced much at all. Toyota is. I would have no problems buying a Honda, I personally don't really care for Toyota though.

As far as imported companies go, Kia makes a very good product for the price. They are priced right in line with and alot of times cheaper than GM/Chrysler/Ford.

Gray/ White

Hondas and Toyota are more expensive than Chevy/Ford/Chrysler in comparable vehicles, but they are not nearly as overpriced as BMW and Benz. I wouldn't say Honda is overpriced much at all. Toyota is. I would have no problems buying a Honda, I personally don't really care for Toyota though.

As far as imported companies go, Kia makes a very good product for the price. They are priced right in line with and alot of times cheaper than GM/Chrysler/Ford.
    Benz and BMW aren't in the same category as a Chevy. Cadilac yes. Plenty of Caddies in those price ranges though. I still remember all the sludge problems that Toyota found any chance to weasel out of so I'm with you on them.

BRR
    2002 SS LE

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Benz and BMW aren't in the same category as a Chevy. Cadilac yes. Plenty of Caddies in those price ranges though. I still remember all the sludge problems that Toyota found any chance to weasel out of so I'm with you on them.
    Benz and BMW make "lower level" cars such as the 320i and the C class. They just use classier colors and bigger engines and as I said previously, sometimes better parts/components. Of course you can't compare a 750i to an LT Malibu, but compare a Malibu Premier to a 320i. You will find you get a very similar vehicle in performance, warranty, and in alot of peoples opinion, looks for a cheaper price.

Better yet, take $35k and see what you can get from Chevy and compare that with what you can get with a BMW. You will be surprised.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^
    How's that got to do with the Tariff subject?
    read it again, ...cardillo made the case that threatening tariffs on China as a soft power move also reaps results on the national security front...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information