Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Road race, auto x, rally in an A4

This is a discussion on Road race, auto x, rally in an A4 within the Road Racing / AutoX forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Anyone here ever do any road racing, auto X or rally with an A4 f-body. Not fond of the transmission ...

Road race, auto x, rally in an A4

Anyone here ever do any road racing, auto X or rally with an A4 f-body. Not fond of the transmission in mine, but it was a steal and at only 2800miles I could pass it up just to wait for a M6 to come alone.

Just looking for suggestions on how to deal with it....perhaps a good computer tune or other "driver strategies"?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I'm a beginner but autocrosing I just leave it in second I haven't really had to shift yet. Road racing that's another story are you looking to put shocks in it?

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I'm a beginner but autocrosing I just leave it in second I haven't really had to shift yet. Road racing that's another story are you looking to put shocks in it?
    I'll prpbably upgrade the brakes and the shocks...but thats a whole other issue.

So you acutally auto X in just 2nd gear, I actually haven't tried one yet, but I watched one last fall and it seemed the course was so short and tight that you would hardly get to any speed requiring 2nd gear...I'm told that is the norm for auto X around here.

But I am curious if you stick you auto tranny in "1" or "2" or even "3" for that matter can you over rev it and damage it?? My winter beater has a safety feature, it forces upshifts just before the red line even when the shifter is put into a low gear, that way it saves the engine...I guess alot of people race them that way as well. But does the F-body also do this, or will it hold the gear to infinity and blow itself up?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Ive had mine at almost 80ish MPH in second. It will stay in second

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

What JD said, on street tires leaving it in first would give us know traction. Where I have gone going through turns in 1st and exiting in second only to have the shift shock throw the ass of the car in front of me. believe me 2nd should be plenty for most courses, and you'll learn quick at these scca events when your at the track just ask someone for a ride when it's there turn. If they say no fuck em and ask someone else, being a passenger gets you great experience before you go on the track. First time out jeave it in second and take her easy and just get throught the course, or do what I did blindly go as fast as possible and swing that tail out. and turn off the asr while doing it, the computer will only inhibit you from making mistakes that can only be corrected by ass in seat time-have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Ive had mine at almost 80ish MPH in second. It will stay in second

I'm just going by memory here, but I don't think thats actually very high. You were at what? 5200 maybe 5600 RPM?
    If I remember right in a flat out run (with the car in "D") the 2-3 shift usually happens at 85 or so. What I was wondering is, will the car rev beyond the usual limiter....say 6400, 6700, even 7000RPM and damage itself.

It would be very cool if this transmission had a computer control like my winter beater's. Put it in 2, and it stays in 2, unless you hit redline RPM then it switches up to 3, but as soon as you slow down to a speed that is managable in 2 it downshift again. Its actually an ideal setup for racing the shit out of a car. (Works in 1st to)

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

2000 F-Body

11. Automatic transmission cars were reprogrammed to allow a car to start off in 2nd gear from a stop when the shift lever is put into 2.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have roll raced in second and no upshift-so yeah I hit the limiter and it was no good.

Torch Red
    2004 Corvette Z06

I take my '95 Trans Am to Track Days at several popular tracks (Roebling Road, Sebring). My car forces a shift before you hit redline if you are running in manually selected 1 or 2. I am prett sure this is a stock PCM function. Since I do my own tuning using LT-1 Edit software and I do not recall if I changed this I can't be 100% certain.

Another thing you can do for road courses is change the PCM block data used for causing a down-shift when you hit WOT. You change the speed it must obtain in a particular gear so that you will not hit that speed in that gear (200 MPH works nice). Then when you down-shift into 3rd or 2nd entering a turn, when you stomp on the gas coming out of the turn the car does not downshift.

For instance, you go into a turn in 2nd at 2600 - 3200RPM, when you stomp the gas just after the apex the tranny stays in 2nd as you power out and doesn't downshift to the very top of 1st. That way there is no drastic downshift and chassis upset when you are applying the gas to accelerate out of the corner.

This should also work for autocross as well. Put the tranny in 2nd ("2") and it starts out in 1st from a stop then shift to 2nd. It would then stay in 2nd unless you come to a full stop (it would shift to 1st at full stop - 0 MPH).

Depending on the Auto-X course you could possibly run it completely in first. Just find out how higth your car goes in each gear. On a back road, put the tranny in that gear and then slowly accelerate until you reach the RPM you would like to call max RPM. Then switch up a gear and see how high the next gear goes. Write those speeds down. It isn't uncommon for Auto-X course to not excced 40-45 MPH. Depending on your gearing and tire sizes that could mean either 1st or 2nd gear alone.

Later ... Larry S.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Paddleshift Kits

There are paddleshift kits out there for the 4l60e transmission, with that equipped you may actually be able to outperform an m6.

I know retrotek speed makes one and I think there's another company that makes one too.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Since I sold my M6 Tran Am I've had to race in my wife's A4 Z28 (ESP prepared). I've done one season on it and I did reprogrammed my computer to better optimize the shifts with some degree of success. In a real track it works Great but our auto-X courses I'm still not happy with it so I just leave it in second and don't bother it. I'm looking at putting a shift kit that will hopefully help the slow 1st to second shift. I'm also looking into putting in a ratchet style shifter so I can just do manual shifts along with a tranny cooler. A torque converter might also be in the future but it depends how it goes this year. I would love to just do a A4 to M6 conversion but since I'm hoping to get a dedicated car in the near future I'm backburning the idea for now.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Since I sold my M6 Tran Am I've had to race in my wife's A4 Z28 (ESP prepared). I've done one season on it and I did reprogrammed my computer to better optimize the shifts with some degree of success. In a real track it works Great but our auto-X courses I'm still not happy with it so I just leave it in second and don't bother it. I'm looking at putting a shift kit that will hopefully help the slow 1st to second shift. I'm also looking into putting in a ratchet style shifter so I can just do manual shifts along with a tranny cooler. A torque converter might also be in the future but it depends how it goes this year. I would love to just do a A4 to M6 conversion but since I'm hoping to get a dedicated car in the near future I'm backburning the idea for now.
    Off topic, but your wife let you do all that to HER car and race it?
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

my car runs around 50mph ish in 1st and around 95mph in second, and starting is second is very slow for me (ive got the tall gears 2.74 i think) so i dont think keeping it in first would be too bad for cars with this gear ratio

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Off topic, but your wife let you do all that to HER car and race it?
    Well she races too when she is able.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Well she races too when she is able.
    I see, very cool. Now honestly who has the better track times?

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Anyone here ever do any road racing, auto X or rally with an A4 f-body. Not fond of the transmission in mine, but it was a steal and at only 2800miles I could pass it up just to wait for a M6 to come alone.

Just looking for suggestions on how to deal with it....perhaps a good computer tune or other "driver strategies"?
    i would never road race an auto. road racers constantly shift, and constantly use different rpm for different situations. an auto is unpredictable, not direct, and just hard to control for road racin. i see guys with autos, but they're not winnin anything.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

^^ I agree that for wheel to wheel/max effort car I would switch to a manual and never consider a automatic tranny, but for the casual Auto-X'er or HPDE I see nothing wrong with it.

Paddleshift

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    i would never road race an auto. road racers constantly shift, and constantly use different rpm for different situations. an auto is unpredictable, not direct, and just hard to control for road racin. i see guys with autos, but they're not winnin anything.
    Wait a second I've seen some guys with 4l60e paddle shifters who do win, the tranny is fine just throw on a set of paddleshifters.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Wait a second I've seen some guys with 4l60e paddle shifters who do win, the tranny is fine just throw on a set of paddleshifters.
    paddlin is ok, if you can spend some serious loot, but you still have a torque converter.

Torque Converter

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    paddlin is ok, if you can spend some serious loot, but you still have a torque converter.
    OK, you got me on the torque converter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information