How to get started road wise

This is a discussion on How to get started road wise within the Road Racing / AutoX forums, part of the Racing Forums category; a buddy and i were talking the other day about running our cars on a road course. neither of us ...

pewter
    2000 camaro

How to get started road wise

a buddy and i were talking the other day about running our cars on a road course. neither of us have never ran a road course before but it looks like a lot of fun. Where or how would i get started? i live in east central Fla? any ideas?
    thnx

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Yeah im curious about the same thing, Here in NC at least.

Just go. It's that easy.

Find a road course that has a Performance Driver's Education series. Sign up and show up.

Check your air pressures, if you have an LSx car, overfill the oil by at least 1/2 quart and listen to your instructor.

As you become more familiar with the course, your car and your skill level, THEN begin looking at upgraded brakes, tires and suspension.

Have fun

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Go onto scca.org or whatever and just call the number on the website. Just so you know a lap belt is in order I slide all over the place with my stock seats.
    This is a thread I started some local but should get you where you need to be. http://www.norcal-lsx.com/forum/show...t=63039&page=2

pewter
    2000 camaro

thanks will do and let you know how we do! im really stoked to see how the car does with the billstein suspension.

There is a HUGE difference between a road course and a parking lot full of cones.

I started AXing and found the wait between the 2 runs I got and shagging cones was worse than drag racing.

http://www.drivenasafl.com/content/view/41/149/

There are 10 events scheduled in 09 and at tracks all across Florida.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm with Mitch but it depends on the club. Our local club has the parking deal nailed. We do 2 courses 5 runs each in 1 day (morning and afternoon). Our attendance is around 100-120 cars and we are done by 4:00pm. Courses are about 40-50sec range so our club is very efficient. Anyway Road Course is a different game altogether, NASA's HPDE's are a great way to get started and as you progress you can eventually get into the Time Trials series that is similar to auto-x in concept but done on a road course. From there you can make a jump to wheel to wheel in something like the Camaro Mustang challenge. Some tracks also do some track days where there is only limited instruction if any, they just set up groups according to experience and send you out for 20 mins at a time. This are good because they have a more relaxed atmosphere and you can get pointers or ride shotgun with other experience drivers.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Light Silver

You can get on the track with us at www.MVPTrackTime.com if you want to.

Fef

black
    02 ws6

i wanna race!!!! i think ill be going to the bay area auto x's pretty soon

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by BLAUPLOW View Post
    i wanna race!!!! i think ill be going to the bay area auto x's pretty soon
    So far season is over, what do you have done to the car?

Just find a road course in your area call or go to their website. Look at the schedule and pick clubs that are running track days. Get in touch with the club and find out how much to do a track day with them. There are always local Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, corvette clubs, etc...that rent the track and almost all of them will let you run if you just pay the fee and can pass a very limited tech inspection. It's not cheap though around here at Summit Point it's around $300. Just remember it's not a race and you are in a street car. I've seen many a dumbass tear up very expensive cars getting over their heads. It's very addictive and can be hard on tires and brakes.

White
    02 SS vert

How limited in what you can do are you in a stock convertible? It looks like NASA/HPDE events may require roll bars/cage.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchntx View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between a road course and a parking lot full of cones.

I started AXing and found the wait between the 2 runs I got and shagging cones was worse than drag racing.

http://www.drivenasafl.com/content/view/41/149/

There are 10 events scheduled in 09 and at tracks all across Florida.
    that's the difference between a drag car and a performance car

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by perryth View Post
    How limited in what you can do are you in a stock convertible? It looks like NASA/HPDE events may require roll bars/cage.
    On a Convertible you have to have to have a Roll bar at minimum, it is for your safety in the unlikely but possible event of a rollover. Plus they make it easier to add a harness which you will want to do along with a better seat (specially if you have a Camaro) shortly after doing a Road Course event and finding yourself sliding around on your seat hanging to the steering wheel during hi g turns. As far a the type of roll bar a 4 point bolt in will work, see here. I prefer the one that has the diagonal fixed support. On my previous car I had the one with the fixed diagonal support and it was great. Here are some pictures from it.

pewter
    2000 camaro

thanks for all the advice...im looking forward to doing it and getting with another club is a great idea. a high school buddy and i are really ready to go for it.
    just got back from a road trip along the blue ridge parkway. there are a ton of twisties up there but my wife was getting car sick so had to slow down...always the case eh?

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    that's the difference between a drag car and a performance car
    Suck it ...

From this last weekend ...

That is 2 laps of 12 in a single race ... we had 4 races over the weekend.

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

whats up ive specifically done upgrades to my ride for the 1/4 mi and the roadcourse...i went to thunder hill raceway in willows ca.. i got hooked on the whole race thing way to much fun if there is such a thing..a word of advice though youre probably going to want to go full throtle... DONTyour instructor wont like it and you could wreck your ride or worse somebody elses too the race track is not responsible for damage to your car and a road course is way different than goin staight down the 1/4 mi..but you definitly WILL HAVE FUN and learn alot about your ride and how she handles

Black
    98 SS

Hey Wildbanshee, let's hook up sometime if you're interested in tracking your car. I've been doing this for 10 years in my 98 SS and am an instructor for the Porsche Club. Just got back from Savannah this weekend at Roebling Road. I assume you are in the UCF area? I live in Sanford. Let me know and we can hook up.

Jeff

Thread Information