maroone
    2000 z28

why am i so slow?

I don`t know what`s wrong with my car . I usually run mid 12 in the quarter mile add 111 mph . Suddenly i cant get my car to run in the 12 anymore . The best i could do yesterday was 13.18 add 107 mph .
    Could it be the clutch? it is stock and it has over 60 passes on it . but i dont think so because every run i ran was ad 107 mph , if it was slipping it would not be constand would it ?
    2000 z28 m6
    mods: lid,long tubs, hotcam (untuned) , bfg drag radials.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Im sure if your clutch was slipping, especially with that many passes under your belt you would be able to feel it. How many miles are on the car? It could be something just as simple as a tune up. Try getting your fluids changed, change your fuel filter and air filter and plugs/ wires. If it has any hesitation after that I would look into coil packs or check your fuel pressure... not really enough info though.. there are too many simple easy to fix things that can cause a loss of power.

maroone
    2000 z28

the car only has 39000 miles on it . the car does idle rough, but that is because of the cam. under power the car never misfire or anything , that would let mi think it has a problem with the ignition system . but the fuel filter has not been changed for 5000 miles . i think i will change it and see wat happence . If a coil does go bad how is it noticible ? I also check the compression and all of the cillinders where around 180 ft pound , so i dont think i could have a bend push rod .

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

has yoru car been idleing any rougher than normal lately? I know you said it does because of the cam but has that changed at all? That could be a sign of a bad coil right there.. Im pretty sure if you took it to autozone or someplace with a free scanner they would pick up on it..

maroone
    2000 z28

that`s a probleme here where i live , i don`t live in the states . I`m from the Lesser Antillis. Just of the coast of Aruba . But thanks for advice, going to ask a guy ho also drives a z28 if a could borrow his coil pack to see wat happens

maroone
    2000 z28

So i checked the service light ad got 3 codes p0140, p0160,and p0300 .
    Now the first to i can understand i removed the rear sensors but the last one the cam maybey

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Umm I wouldnt bet on it.. Its just the rear wheel speed sensor. It can go off just from having air pressure differences in your tires or from doing burnouts. Nothing that I would really worry about. I spark a rear wheel sensor from time to time as wheel. As for the o2 sensors you should look into getting some sims for that because it can cause a rich condition if im not mistaken

maroone
    2000 z28

Wheel speed sensor ? in my book p0300 means engine misfire detected.
    I`m reading from haynes repair manual

The Schwenkster
    I know I dont have an LSx but I do know about the p300 code. Its a random cylinder misfire and happens alot in gp's when you install a cam. As a matter of fact I have the XP HOT cam in my car which is a 231 s/c buick but maybe they are based off each other. Because of the lift in my cam it causes the car to think that it is misfiring but it should not effect the performance of your car from what i understand if it is being caused by the cam and the code can be removed by a tuner so you don't get an SES light. If it is however a real misfire then that will effect perfromance and you'll have to get a scanner to figure out what is up...
    Last edited by The Schwenkster; 05-01-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you are right.. I am sorry for the bad advice I have all the codes saved on my comp and I just looked at the wrong one. It does make alot more sense though..

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
    Faulty spark plugs or wires
    Faulty coil (pack)
    Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    Faulty fuel injector(s)
    Burned exhaust valve
    Faulty catalytic converter(s)
    Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
    Faulty camshaft position sensor
    Defective computer

so it could be something as simple as doign those 02 sims as well or having them deleted in the tune

Thread Information