Who would win a 03 mustang or a 93-97 lt1

This is a discussion on Who would win a 03 mustang or a 93-97 lt1 within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Ok just curious as to what makes more horsepower a 03 mustang gt or a 93-97 z28? Reason i ask ...

White
    2001 Z28

Who would win a 03 mustang or a 93-97 lt1

Ok just curious as to what makes more horsepower a 03 mustang gt or a 93-97 z28? Reason i ask for the last couple of weeks there has been a boy locally that seems to think that his mustang will out run my ls1. I'm not backing out on racing him but i ran a lt1 trans am right after buying my car, still had everything possible from the factory at that time and i put 5 possilby 6 cars on the trans am, tonight i get a phone call from the boy and so he says that he raced a 2000 z28 w/ slp lid, and cai, full exhaust, 3.23 gears, 6spd, msd wires pulleys, and only lost by 1.5 cars both runs does this sound right? Either way i'm going to run the kid at one of the local tracks i'm just kind of curious on some opinions

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Mustang owners always say their cars are faster than ls1 or lt1.
    If you are a4 and he's m5 he probably gets the win.
    Talking bout stock to stock. If u are m6 you get him.
    If it's auto to auto. You have a chance to smoke him.
    I have a friend he had an lt1 auto and he used to get smoked by m5s gts.
    With minor mods on both

That guy you talking bout raced an m6 with 3.23 gears?
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Mustang owners always say their cars are faster than ls1 or lt1.
    If you are a4 and he's m5 he probably gets the win.
    Talking bout stock to stock. If u are m6 you get him.
    If it's auto to auto. You have a chance to smoke him.
    I have a friend he had an lt1 auto and he used to get smoked by m5s gts.
    With minor mods on both

That guy you talking bout raced an m6 with 3.23 gears?
    Good catch on those gears....lol

How would a 260hp Mustang GT M5 take the win over an A4 LS1? They are mid 14 second cars and perhaps LOW at the very best with perfect air.

No way is it even a race if both cars are stock. Hell, the Mach 1 of that same year with 40+ more hp with the M5 is about even with LS1 cars at best. Its not even a close race.

Remember the tests of the 99 Mustang vs the 99 Camaro and Firebird? The Mustang doesnt stand a chance. The OP should be able to show him tail lights by the time he hits 45 mph.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Yeah the gears part doesn't make sense to me lol.

I could be wrong on the 260 hp m5 against the ls1 auto. The mustang has less power of course but it's a manual transmission. It's Stronger than auto.
    If both are manual. I'm 100% sure the ls1 will beat the GT.

I seen that test you are taking about. The gt had no chanse on the ls1 lol.

The mach1 has different heads and 4 cams I belive. But still I think on Mach1 and ls1 is even.
    I have raced a bullet. Same hp as the gt. But the bullet has 3.73s. And I smoked him 3 times on the highway
    So I'm sure the he will get the win if he's an m6. I dnt know on a4
    Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Good catch on those gears....lol

How would a 260hp Mustang GT M5 take the win over an A4 LS1? They are mid 14 second cars and perhaps LOW at the very best with perfect air.

No way is it even a race if both cars are stock. Hell, the Mach 1 of that same year with 40+ more hp with the M5 is about even with LS1 cars at best. Its not even a close race.

Remember the tests of the 99 Mustang vs the 99 Camaro and Firebird? The Mustang doesnt stand a chance. The OP should be able to show him tail lights by the time he hits 45 mph.

White
    2001 Z28

Yes the camaro had 323 gears the mustang had 327 gears, I have drove the mustang and it to me is no where near my stock z is. Guess I will wait and see but by the time we get to the track I will have a few more bolt ons. I was curious as to some opinions

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Youll beat him and if hes stock he probably lost by 2.5 cars to that 2000 z28 he raced.

White
    2001 Z28

I was going to say i thought even the a4 ls1 cars made more horsepower and torque than a stock mustang gt. Granted it probably doesn't mean much my car does have the slp lid, ls6 intake for the moment and soon a slp loud mouth 2 catback not sure how much of a difference that will make on my car but i'm just waiting for the tracks to open and find out versus just talking about it

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Man it shouldn't even be a race! I ran 13.68 bone stock on the 4 th of July 2 yrs ago in my a4 ws6. Even with bolt ons I don't think he has much of a chance.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    Yeah the gears part doesn't make sense to me lol.

I could be wrong on the 260 hp m5 against the ls1 auto. The mustang has less power of course but it's a manual transmission. It's Stronger than auto.
    If both are manual. I'm 100% sure the ls1 will beat the GT.

I seen that test you are taking about. The gt had no chanse on the ls1 lol.

The mach1 has different heads and 4 cams I belive. But still I think on Mach1 and ls1 is even.
    I have raced a bullet. Same hp as the gt. But the bullet has 3.73s. And I smoked him 3 times on the highway
    So I'm sure the he will get the win if he's an m6. I dnt know on a4
    Even the 5-speed ones are pretty weak. The single cam 4.6s are pretty weak stock in my opinion. Sort of snappy in the middle but not a lot of low end torque and not a lot of upper rpm pull either.

Even automatic LS1 cars make more hp at the wheels than the 5-speed GT does at the crank. You would completley destroy him stock for stock just like the op will...lol

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    Man it shouldn't even be a race! I ran 13.68 bone stock on the 4 th of July 2 yrs ago in my a4 ws6. Even with bolt ons I don't think he has much of a chance.
    No diggity!

I am working on my 90s lingo.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Yea only older stang you need to worry about is a mach one or a cobra. My buddies dad bought a mach one back in 04. We room it to the track and he ran 13.51 on a warm September day. Stock for stock its a drivers race and traction will prevail. Base level gt's are more of a play toy for an ls1. Kinda like a cat playing with a mouse b4 he eats it.

2002 CETA Convertible M6

I own one of each - my DD is an 04 Mustang GT manual tranny - I've done CAI, throttle body, upper plenum and cat-back, plus a handheld tune and an MGW shifter. My CETA convertible M6 has a lid and LM1.

It wouldn't even be a race - the CETA would spank the Mustang something silly (even with Mustang's bolt-ons).

Buddy of mine just bought an 03 Cobra Vert. At the time I drove it he had done exhaust and the shifter (I believe he has done pulleys and had it tuned since). We drove each others' cars and he was playfully pissed after he drove my car - said something like "F***in' Ford. Can't do any better than a 281. Your car pulls harder." This was just seat of the pants - but I wasn't blown away by his 390+hp and extra $7k price tag compared to what I paid for my CETA.

Be afraid of a Cobra - GTs no way. I love my Mustang as a DD, but not a fair fight vs an LS1.

Ray Charles blue

Cobra is a power house, Mach 1 can be a danger, Bullit is behind, GT is way behind.

Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Cobra is a power house, Mach 1 can be a danger, Bullit is behind, GT is way behind.
    I agree!! Beware of a Mach with gears, I ran 4:30s in my DD Mach!
    2012 Shelby GT500 DD

08 GT/CS Vert 426/430 a couple of bolt ons. (sold)
    03 Mach 1 Black and Gold (sold)
    33 Ford 5 Window
    57 Chevy

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I agree!! Beware of a Mach with gears, I ran 4:30s in my DD Mach!
    They are cool as cars. I wouldnt mind finding one but they are still pretty expensive all things considered.

I would love to have one with the 5-speed, some gears, super charger.....etc Make my own style Cobra.

White
    2001 Z28

Don't get me wrong I own two fox mustangs as well and I don't take anything away from them b/c I know what they are capable of.

Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

The mach was fun and took me a while to get 08 GT fun but after some 4:10s and Saleen Brenspeed stage 2 kit, she is a blast to drive everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by 01A4Z28 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I own two fox mustangs as well and I don't take anything away from them b/c I know what they are capable of.
    I guess my point was, don't believe all the forums (ford or chevy) they are not always true and very few cars remain stock.

White
    2001 Z28

Yea that is the truth i get a car and say i'm going to keep it stock then after driving it for a week, i end up getting that fever to do something to it b/c after that week it just seems slow.... I was just kind of curious on this coming from a mustang owner and a camaro owner as myself, i've had fast mustangs and fast camaros. But i drove the boys 03 gt and i wasn't impressed with it at all thats why when he said he lost to by 1.5 to a bolt on ls1 i was kind of surprised so i figured i would see what everyones opinion was i though at first maybe the camaro was an lt1 b/c then i could see him only loosing by that much!

Black and Gold
    03 Ford Mach 1

I don't think it would be close but who knows. A foot or 5 cars, a win is a win. Take him to the track, race, and take your win back to pits. Let him figure out what excuse he will use.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have a friend with a 96 GT (i know its older but hang on) With cams and a 125 shot, I would race him in my M6 (LT's, ORY,4:10) I would get him by 3-4 cars. Sure he would get the jump cause the mousetangs hook better but it was over by 1/8 mile...now he has kennybelle and full suspension and runs high 9's so its a different game lol BUT i used to be able to take him...you should be fine!

White
    2001 Z28

yea i'm not to worried about his car, by the time the tracks open up i should have a few more things on my car just the same as him w/ his mustang but before i run him w/ my camaro, he wants to race my h/c/i 86 mustang so i'm sure i will have a chance to make him eat his words a couple of times this year

Thread Information