pewter
    2000 camaro ss

What tires DOT slicks or radial.

Alright new setup is order. MWC Fab 9 inch narrowed 3 inchs with offset lower control arms,short torque arm, Drag bar. also order a set of billet specialties big n littles. This is a M6 car, I really want to run M/T sportmans in front and Hoosier QTP dot bias ply in the rear. Was wondering how fast will a tire like that last seeing street/strip duty? And if i was to run a Radial in the rear is it impossible to hook at the track launching off the 2 step at 6000rpm? I just want to run the best possible time but dont want to be buying tires all the time, if money was no object i wouldnt care.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

bump

6,000 from a 2 step???

Don't know what kind of power you are making but alot of other things come into play other than the type of tire you choose.

There are plenty of cars in the 7's (1/4 mile) on a drag radial, but the car is built around the idea of running a drag radial per class rules.

They can be made to work fine, how much do you want to spend?? Are you limited to a radial per class rules or are you just playing around with a street strip car??

I've gone both ways on street/strip cars, both bias ply and radial. Other than price and longevity being the biggest differences, I've had good luck with both.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Just messing with a street/strip car for know car is get more and more serious. I am makeing under 400 to the wheels. I will hopefully be at the lsx shootout. I hear a 6 speed needs a stiff wall bias ply tire to get the best 60ft.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I run the Hoosier QTP Pro's in a 27 x 11.5 X 15inch and they worked well when I had my six speed and even now that I have the Th-400. They handle the trans brake launches quite well. I have heard a lot of good things about the Hoosier Drag Radials but have not had a chance to use them. I use them for street strip set-up as well and get about 4,000 miles out of them.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

I run 295x45x17 M/T DRs and have 1.81 60 fts and those tires hook 99.9% of the time! I have hit NOS to get a 1.46 60 ft and still no spin.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/starstrucked7/drag10b-75-1.jpg

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.55 @ 118.12 mph

99 Vette Mag Red * 99 Vette Nassau Blue
    93 Vette 40th formerly owned by Billy Ray Cyrus 10K miles 4 sale
    99 Trans Am WS6 6 speed * 01 CTS Caddy
    00 Custom Chopper 113ci

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

If i got 4000 miles out of them i would be happy, Well see how much track times the car gets this year. think i am going with the Hoosier QTP 28/11.5. Will see what happends, maybe i will learn my lesson and wear out some expensive tires quick.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    If i got 4000 miles out of them i would be happy, Well see how much track times the car gets this year. think i am going with the Hoosier QTP 28/11.5. Will see what happends, maybe i will learn my lesson and wear out some expensive tires quick.
    I usually get about 5000 to 7400 miles on a set and about 40 runs and they are at wear bars . Then I sell for a $100 and get a new set.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

sweet thanks for the feed back. guys

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I am going to move up to the 28's next as well. They are not that expensive. $193 per tire from Jegs

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Biased ply's are a thing of the past!! Your car will drive/track sooo much better with radials. Get a Real drag radial NOT Nittos or BFG's run the correct psi and it will hook better than the bias ply. Shit there are cars going mid to low 7's on a tiny 275/60/15.
    I grabbed 300 right out of the gate on 275/60/15's 1.28 60' foots ALL day.

Hell I did 1.53-1.55 60' in the Goat on 275/40/17 M/T Drag Radial

And as for asking about the mileage. . . . . . WHO Knows!!
    Everyones driving is different. And many things effect the wear. Are you pumping them back up before you drive home from the track,ambient temp.,weight of car, is the rear end true in the sub frame,how often you hit holeshots on shitty pavement, etc.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    And as for asking about the mileage. . . . . . WHO Knows!!
    Everyones driving is different. And many things effect the wear. Are you pumping them back up before you drive home from the track,ambient temp.,weight of car, is the rear end true in the sub frame,how often you hit holeshots on shitty pavement, etc.
    How True!

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Buy an extra set of rims for the drag radials. It is a waste of tire to drive around on them when you are not at the track, plus the oils in them that make them sticky dry out with excessive street use. Most folks that I know will put on their drag radials, drive to the track and race, drive home, and put regular tires back on the car...

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Buy an extra set of rims for the drag radials. It is a waste of tire to drive around on them when you are not at the track, plus the oils in them that make them sticky dry out with excessive street use. Most folks that I know will put on their drag radials, drive to the track and race, drive home, and put regular tires back on the car...
    Although I would agree on a mild performing car,,,,,but some of us use them year round, mainly because it's a necessity. Driving mine around on rock hard rubber can be dangerous if you get too aggressive with the go pedal, even at 50-60 mph.
    I don't care for ditch hunting at those speeds, I'd rather stick and go

Street driving hasn't seemed to affect my MT drag radials. As a matter of fact they seem to work better after some miles and wear. Even down on the wear bars my 60 foot times are consistent. I will say though, I go through a pair a little quicker because of the street driving, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Tires are cheaper to replace than the car.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    I run my M/T DRs all the time with no issues!

silver
    2002 ws6

mickeys all the way. they are fucking awesome. just dont speed when it's raining.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

i was thinking just buying another set of rear wheels. and run the hoosier drag radials. anyone have a set of billet specialties street lites for sale. 15X10 5.5 to 4.5 backspacing?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

i was thinking just buying another set of rear wheels. and run the hoosier drag radials. anyone have a set of billet specialties street lites for sale. 15X10 5.5 to 4.5 backspacing?
    Hoosiers work good. They are also a little lighter than the M/T's. We usually pick up a mph or two on the big end. Not sure if it's due to the weight difference or a difference in growth. They are a little softer and I have found wear quicker than the M/T too.

The Best hooking we have found are the M & H's!!

Thread Information