Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

what is a safe rpm going though the traps

This is a discussion on what is a safe rpm going though the traps within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by 02BrianZ28 the heads r spm ls6's that i do know... then that is not stock....

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02BrianZ28 View Post
    the heads r spm ls6's that i do know...
    then that is not stock.

Blue
    02 Camaro Z28RS

spm stands for semi-permanment mold... they r ls6 heads i have the number off of them... spm heads make about 6-10 horsey over sand casted heads... mostly they were put on z06s, but they were put on my car from the factory... feel free to look it up... when i got the car 2 years ago an old dude had it siting under a cover, it had 9,000 miles on it, and original tires... no rubber in the fenders... it was his baby... he told me that it was all original, and i believe him... then when i talked to a guy from gm performance about my car, he asked me what mouth it was built in, he told me that some lucky camaros that where ordered came out with ls6... he had seen them... i still don't by it, but i did find the ls6 part number on the heads that he gave me... could be bs... but then y did it run 12.80 bone stock weighting 3840pds?!?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Your car didn't come from the factory with LS6 heads. That's baseless internet rumor that you have taken in hook, line, and sinker.

To weigh 3840 lbs would require a driver weighing almost 380 lbs (not unheard of, but not real common). F-bodys are heavy, but not that heavy.

Did you run 12.80 bone stock in that car on a real racetrack at 3840 lbs? Can you provide evidence of this? And BTW....MM&FF ran 12.8s in a bone stock 98 Z28 eight years ago. Its not unheard of.

To answer your original question....there are people that spin their stock blocks to 7k rpm. 6500 should not be a problem. However - the longer you spin a car at higher rpm, the more wear you're going to induce, and the more likey you are to break something. Its just the way it is...you wanna play, you gotta pay.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

you probbally just has a factory freak..with gm's high build tolerances hp and tq numbers can range from 280 to the wheels to 310 to the wheels.

dont get sassy with me either..just becuase you dont like the truth..this subject about the ghost ls6 heads has been around for a long time. you got a ls6 block and a ls6 intake manifold. not heads

Blue
    02 Camaro Z28RS

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    To answer your original question....there are people that spin their stock blocks to 7k rpm. 6500 should not be a problem. However - the longer you spin a car at higher rpm, the more wear you're going to induce, and the more likey you are to break something. Its just the way it is...you wanna play, you gotta pay.
    thanks! thats all i really care about... can it handle it?!?!
    as fare as the car goes... i have time slips of it running 12.80, lots of them... the weight thing is because of the rs package, and it's an T-top car thats folly loaded... as fare as the motor... i really don't care what it is, the f'er runs like mad! with my new 12 bolt its turning 12.18's with the clutch smoking(damn i need a new clutch!!!) I'm happy!!

hay shady i'm not getting snippy... at lest i'm not trying to... i just was saying what i was told... thats all... hands down... if you drove it you would be scratching your head 2...

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 02BrianZ28 View Post
    thanks! thats all i really care about... can it handle it?!?!
    For a while - sure. Keep good oil in it, and make sure it is at the proper level.

as fare as the car goes... i have time slips of it running 12.80, lots of them... the weight thing is because of the rs package, and it's an T-top car thats folly loaded...
    My fully loaded 99 T/A (with T-tops) weighed 3500 lbs. Those plastic panels along the bottom of your car don't add 350 lbs to it. Unless you've added 400 lbs of stuff somewhere, your car weighs ~3500 lbs. Tops.

....if you drove it you would be scratching your head 2...
    Anything is possible, but that's not likely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information