Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Traction problems HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Traction problems HELP!!! within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; It's not just the launch that's killing me, it's also hitting second and spinning like mad, having to back out ...

RED
    2000 WS6 TA

It's not just the launch that's killing me, it's also hitting second and spinning like mad, having to back out to let it hook then getting back into it. Third gear also spins and the wheel hop seems to be worse there. I just keep my foot in it going to third and it settles after half a second or so. I have a heavy duty clutch so it aint slippin. I have a short throw shifter and haven't missed a shift on the strip yet. How much do you think the MPH would go up if I could hook at launch and while shifting down the strip? It only seems natural that the MPH would go up with more efficiant shifting and launch. How much up from 113 do you guys think it might improve to.

black
    1998 trans am

You should pick up several mph with a good launch and better shifting. How cold is the road or track whenever you're making these passes? Have you tried letting some air out of the tires?

RED
    2000 WS6 TA

Just thought I'd throw out an update. I went to the track, finally. Had the SFC's put in and the brand new Nittos. Bottom line, best run was a 12.7 at 113. The wheel hop went away but I'm still haveing launch problems. I don't have much wheel spin hitting second and the spin going into third is pretty much gone. I'll go back again this winter and try again. My exaust has cutouts so I may take off the plates this time too. 12.7 aint bad and it's a major improvement, but it'll do better. I suspect it may have to do mostly with driver inadequacy more than anything else. We shall see.

black
    1998 trans am

Ok, now play with tire pressure and your burnout. It may take a few tries to get the burnout down pat (one that works well with that tire). Let out air pressure gradually. The more you can run in the tire and hook the faster you should be because of less rolling resistance.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So what are your new 60 foot times? Sounds like you are hooking up now. Try mg89ta's advice also. Glad to read about your 12.7. I went to the track last May, with my headers and picked up 2-4 MPH and got my 12, it WAS a 12.99 but still a 12 second pass. Also getting over 28 MPG at 75 with AC on. My traps are 107-108.95 now. I am going to try to get out there (dragstrip) next Tuesday or the one after that, we are cooling down weatherwise here finally!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by LS666 View Post
    Hey all. Went to the track and had a few problems maybe you pros can walk me through. First I have a full exaust, cam, cats eliminated, LS6 intake, pulleys, air box. Thats about it. Dyno says 370 to the wheels. At the track I couldn't hook at all on street tires. First and second were useless and third would spin and wheel hop till it grabbed. I realize I need some DRs or street slicks. What else can I do to help launch without breaking something. My 60 foot was in the 2.5 range and the quarter time was 13.004 at 112.8. Will a good launch increase my terminal MPH? I've been told that that MPH should be good for low 12s if not a high 11. Just wondering if the MPH will inprove with a good hookup. What have you all done to increase traction and reduce wheel hop???
    The best thing you can do is go down on Broadway to a junkyard and buy a pair of V-6 springs for the rear!
    It will make a bigger difference than the LCA's or any of that stuff.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Will that affect the ride height, the V6 springs?

I don't have the rear stabilizer bar, and I have a 12-bolt, does any of that make a difference?

Why is it that the V6 springs are better for traction?

Sorry for all the questions, but this has piqued my interest.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Ride height..... Every car is different. Usually it is a little lower than stock SS/WS6 springs.
    The car has no idea what rearend is under it.
    They are better cause of the difference in spring rate it will allow the car to weight transfer....= More traction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information