Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tire pressure?

This is a discussion on Tire pressure? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; No, with 4.10/4.11 you finish in 4th on an otherwise stock set-up (meaning bolt-ons)....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No, with 4.10/4.11 you finish in 4th on an otherwise stock set-up (meaning bolt-ons).

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't know what you mean.
    Shifting into OD at WOT is hard on smaller gears.

And for some of the questions...
    www.f-body.org/gears

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I'd imagine if I actually hook up I'll need to run farther into 3rd, meaning I'll need to remove/extend my rev limiter? Wouldn't shifting into 4th be slowing me down?

Or just break the rear end and put 4.10's in it? With 4.10's, do you stay in 4th? I've read somewhere here it may require a shift into 5th.

If you are still running the stock camshaft and springs, you'll be forced to shift around 6,000. Bumping the rev limiter up higher would end up hurting things. The valvetrain is not stable at that rpm. Most stock LS1's fall off at about 5700, and shifting at 6,000 works well.
    With stock 3.42 gears, you'll be forced to hit 4th gear shifting at 6,000.

For an example, I shift mine at 6,500 (different cam/valvetrain) and I have stock 3.42's. I still can't quite make it to the finish line in 3rd with the rev limiter set at 6,600. I end up bumping the limiter accross the line 3-4 times, and the car runs 110 mph in 3rd.
    If I shift to 4th right before the finish line, I run 111 mph. Technically speaking, my car needs a rear gear in the worst way

Even a stock setup with a 6 speed would benefit with a 4.10 gear.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If you are still running the stock camshaft and springs, you'll be forced to shift around 6,000. Bumping the rev limiter up higher would end up hurting things. The valvetrain is not stable at that rpm. Most stock LS1's fall off at about 5700, and shifting at 6,000 works well.
    With stock 3.42 gears, you'll be forced to hit 4th gear shifting at 6,000.

For an example, I shift mine at 6,500 (different cam/valvetrain) and I have stock 3.42's. I still can't quite make it to the finish line in 3rd with the rev limiter set at 6,600. I end up bumping the limiter accross the line 3-4 times, and the car runs 110 mph in 3rd.
    If I shift to 4th right before the finish line, I run 111 mph. Technically speaking, my car needs a rear gear in the worst way

Even a stock setup with a 6 speed would benefit with a 4.10 gear.
    I am.

Didn't know it was as low as 5700. I was shifting passed that for sure (probably 6300-6500), I'll be getting a shift light this week to stop that then for sure.

Dyno tuning help you get your accurate shift points? I was waiting to get it dynoed till after my next mods, tune and exhaust (which all sadly got pushed back after I just bought a house 2 months ago). I may end up taking care of cheaper things, suspension mods most likely and get the tune this winter (frost).

I'm not a huge into taking her to the drag strip, but I will def. be going a couple times a year for that adrenaline rush. I want to make sure I'm running her safe when I'm there, any other tips?

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I am.

Didn't know it was as low as 5700. I was shifting passed that for sure (probably 6300-6500), I'll be getting a shift light this week to stop that then for sure.

Dyno tuning help you get your accurate shift points? I was waiting to get it dynoed till after my next mods, tune and exhaust (which all sadly got pushed back after I just bought a house 2 months ago). I may end up taking care of cheaper things, suspension mods most likely and get the tune this winter (frost).

I'm not a huge into taking her to the drag strip, but I will def. be going a couple times a year for that adrenaline rush. I want to make sure I'm running her safe when I'm there, any other tips?
    A dyno (whether engine or chassis) will definately tell you where the engine likes to run. Generally speaking, where ever the engine makes peak HP, you will find best track times by shifting 3-500 rpms above that. That's where experimentation comes into play.

I'm not sure how you are getting to 63-6500 without at least changing the rev limiter in the tune. They are set at 6,200 stock I believe. Even then, the stock valve springs are rather weak.

I can understand the house thing. First things first.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm not sure how you are getting to 63-6500 without at least changing the rev limiter in the tune. They are set at 6,200 stock I believe. Even then, the stock valve springs are rather weak.
    Agreed. Stock is 6200 RPM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I do not manually shift my A4. I leave it in OD.
    Nor should you.

Although I think I would leave it in '3' if I was racing. I HATE the idea of shifting into OD gears at WOT. I don't do it with my T56 either.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agreed. Stock is 6200 RPM.
    Probably was 6200, just my guess as I stopped looking at the tac after 6000.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information