Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Street racing club

This is a discussion on Street racing club within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by 0rion a lot has changed since the good ole days....it's just not worth the risk these days ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    a lot has changed since the good ole days....it's just not worth the risk these days to run anywhere but at the track. You race a guy, he's a shitty driver, wrecks, kills someone, and you go to jail. Not only do you have to worry about your driving these days but you also have to worry about the other guy's too.
    Yeah the traffic is so much thicker now that it's not only more dangerous, but like you said, it seems people drive with less care and I don't want to chance it. It's rare that I would even try, if or when it happens, it would be stop light only, in 45 to 55 zones in light traffic where there might be a chance I'd go through 1-2 gears and then shut down. That's the extent of it for me, depending on the car I'm driving, traffic situation, and whether I'm with family or not. Basically the stars have to align to tempt me to jump on the skinny pedal

Anymore I just prefer back road driving and avoid all the traffic, so any playing I do I'm generally alone testing and tuning. That's pretty much the extent of my fun nowadays.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    a lot has changed since the good ole days....it's just not worth the risk these days to run anywhere but at the track. You race a guy, he's a shitty driver, wrecks, kills someone, and you go to jail. Not only do you have to worry about your driving these days but you also have to worry about the other guy's too.
    Yeah the traffic is so much thicker now that it's not only more dangerous, but like you said, it seems people drive with less care and I don't want to chance it. It's rare that I would even try, if or when it happens, it would be stop light only, in 45 to 55 zones in light traffic where there might be a chance I'd go through 1-2 gears and then shut down. That's the extent of it for me, depending on the car I'm driving, traffic situation, and whether I'm with family or not. Basically the stars have to align to tempt me to jump on the skinny pedal

Anymore I just prefer back road driving and avoid all the traffic, so any playing I do I'm generally alone testing and tuning. That's pretty much the extent of my fun nowadays.
    I am the same exact way. Never raced on the highway. Typically it's on rt 30 which runs for days through the city. Depends highly on traffic though and I usually slow down not much into third gear.

That's not to say I've never opened it up on the highway when I was just cruising with nobody in sight. I have. Wanted to see what acceleration the car had from 60-70mph.

There used to be a local street called Doty Road where a lot of street racing occurred from around 1am to 3am. It was a side street off the highway. Not much traffic ever, but it was the access road to many businesses so on occassion you would see a semi. It ran for many years even though cops busted it up many times. It took a death for it to finally come to its demise. That was around 10 years ago or so. I only went a few times myself. Never raced...just watched. It was only a 2 lane road so it was kind of dangerous since there were cars lined up as far as you could see. Plus racing at night your vision is already impaired some. Not sure what happens there now if anything. There are a lot of YouTube videos though...or least used to be.
    It's on jackstands.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I am the same exact way. Never raced on the highway.
    Don't care for that highway roll racing garbage. Real racing starts from a dig

Besides, you hit speeds roll racing that gets 25mph over the limit very quickly, and in most all states, 25mph or more over the limit and it's instant jail time, impounded car, and suspension of license, and I'd hate to think of the fees too. No thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information