Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Cool Street racing club

I am trying to get an Idea of the number of members who would be interested in building a street racing club or group. I live in Sussex County NJ and I am close to Northeast PA and Morris and Warren counties in NJ. There are plenty of good race roads in wooded areas with no houses in sight. I miss drag racing and NJ has only two tracks left in the entire state and both are over 1 1/2 hours each way. I feel if done safely it could be alot of fun. Let me know what you think.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I hate when they release a new Fast and Furious movie........

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    This.

IB4TL

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    ?????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    This.

IB4TL
    ?????
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

All I am looking for is YES or NO.

They are out there. LA has had one around since the 60's and it's still organized today, although the founding member has passed on. It's well known in Southern, CA. They've done organized events with the police on vacant air strips, rented tracks, and all kinds of stuff in between. Nothing done in a reckless manor as some believe street racing would suggest. I believe it was originally organized to stop gang violence and grew from there.

I'm sure there might be others around the country.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

That's what I am talking about. I am not going to run through local streets at 110 mph with children playing. We have an air strip in Sussex County that would rent the track. There are other areas to run with supervision or a permit.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    There are plenty of good race roads in wooded areas
    Guess you don't have deer out in NJ. Sounds like a very BAD idea.

Ask Jeff about deer in PA.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

Jeff's wife*

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

She isn't on the forum so it would be hard to ask her. Hence why I said Jeff.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

You can hit a deer going to work so you better stay home Jon so you don't hit one.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

She isn't on the forum so it would be hard to ask her. Hence why I said Jeff.
    It was a joke since she's the one hitting them and he's not.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can hit a deer going to work so you better stay home Jon so you don't hit one.
    You're right. Odds are much higher hitting a deer near woods where they live though.

I don't see many deer in cities hanging out.

You're right. Odds are much higher hitting a deer near woods where they live though.

I don't see many deer in cities hanging out.
    I'd hate to hit one going 100mph street racing though,,,yikes! Bad enough when you're going 50mph. As you get older these types of thoughts creep in more often then not. When we were younger we were invincible (or stupid ) To think back about some of the things I did as a teenager it's a wonder I'm still here.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'd hate to hit one going 100mph street racing though,,,yikes! Bad enough when you're going 50mph. As you get older these types of thoughts creep in more often then not. When we were younger we were invincible (or stupid ) To think back about some of the things I did as a teenager it's a wonder I'm still here.
    Pretty sure Keith is in his 50's so I just assumed he had the same mentality. Personally, I would not race down a road in a wooded area. Just asking for trouble...even death. Not to mention I don't want to increase the risk of my car being totaled.

Hitting a deer driving on the highway or down a city road is one thing. You can normally see it coming and at least try to avoid it or slow down. Even if you don't see it until last minute, you're probably doing 45-50 at most in city limits down a road where a deer would even be at. You aren't going to see a deer in a high populated city. In fact, I've never seen a single deer in Chicago in my 20+ years of hanging out there.

Not much you can do when there is woods on either side of you and you're going 100+ MPH. At that speed, a deer impact will result in a fatality unless you get lucky.

I'm not saying I haven't street raced, but I sure as hell am not going to do it next to a nature preserve.

I didn't mean to imply that no one here has any sense, and I'm certainly not against it. I just don't participate in street racing anymore for alot of reasons. One big reason, since I primarily race with a classic car of some form, I don't want my car impounded. That's a small fortune down the tubes.

I think we've all done our fare share of street racing. We used to have alot of somewhat organized racing on country back roads and other various places. So I'm not going to sit here and tell someone it's a bad idea, because I've done it, ALOT. I just don't do it anymore with too much at stake. A quick unexpected stop light excursion with 1 or 2 gears on a sunny afternoon is always a possibility though

However Keith,,,,I'll come watch

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I just don't want to hear any bad news

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Sussex Airport is plenty long and plenty wide without a tree in sight so deer do not hang out there. The deer are not the issue, the lack of racing space is. Hicks ave in Newton has been a street racing road since the 50's. No houses, no kids and plenty of room to slow down. How many of you have raced on the highways. Anybody ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that no one here has any sense, and I'm certainly not against it. I just don't participate in street racing anymore for alot of reasons. One big reason, since I primarily race with a classic car of some form, I don't want my car impounded. That's a small fortune down the tubes.

I think we've all done our fare share of street racing. We used to have alot of somewhat organized racing on country back roads and other various places. So I'm not going to sit here and tell someone it's a bad idea, because I've done it, ALOT. I just don't do it anymore with too much at stake. A quick unexpected stop light excursion with 1 or 2 gears on a sunny afternoon is always a possibility though

However Keith,,,,I'll come watch
    a lot has changed since the good ole days....it's just not worth the risk these days to run anywhere but at the track. You race a guy, he's a shitty driver, wrecks, kills someone, and you go to jail. Not only do you have to worry about your driving these days but you also have to worry about the other guy's too.

Sussex Airport is plenty long and plenty wide without a tree in sight so deer do not hang out there. The deer are not the issue, the lack of racing space is. Hicks ave in Newton has been a street racing road since the 50's. No houses, no kids and plenty of room to slow down. How many of you have raced on the highways. Anybody ?
    We raced on a couple of highways many years back. When I-275 was still being contructed there were sections traffic didn't have access to yet, so we would get up there and run late at night.
    We also did some late night racing on state route 52, that runs along the Ohio river. Not a major highway like I-275 but still like a highway of sorts. This one had a concrete divider seperating the East and West bound lanes making it a tad safer, and cops couldn't make U-turns . We would race West bound from about 9mile road towards the I-275 interchange (about a 2 mile stretch), then take the off ramp, turn around and come back. That worked pretty well. Back then traffic was very light compared to today, and we would also wait till 11pm to 1am in the morning after traffic had died down.

Thread Information