Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stock times?

This is a discussion on Stock times? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Youre comparing removing body panels on a cadillac to pulling out the spare tire and jack?...

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

Youre comparing removing body panels on a cadillac to pulling out the spare tire and jack?

lookin for a ws6

re

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrizzle View Post
    Youre comparing removing body panels on a cadillac to pulling out the spare tire and jack?
    No, not at all.
    I also remove the spare tire and jack when I go to the track.

Firebirdjones said people are removing major interior parts to make their cars lighter, therefore faster. I just said that hotrod tested this already { they did take it to extremes } , and showed if you lighten up a car enough . Then anything can be made fast.
    Not the greatest example , I know.
    Last edited by Lawnman; 04-22-2007 at 05:04 PM.

I remember that Lawman,,,that was hillarious. It came down to a frame and wheels (just like I hinted at earlier). That was funny stuff.
    Ya I can understand the spare tire and jack removal, but removing the more necessary things that are used everyday (in my case) like the back seat or passenger seat only to be put back in when your done is not being honest with the cars real potential.

If the stuff is removed perminently and thats the way the car is used, then I'm fine with that. But to go to a track and remove all that stuff, only to be bolted back in when you leave is goofy. "Run what ya brung" and hope you brought enough is what we always say.

I am amazed at the amount of people here with Fbodies that are practicing this method. I think it's more from the younger crowd, and I get the feeling that more people here are removing there seats on race day than have admitted it so far. Larry.

I think this makes it even more important for people to weigh their cars while they are at the track, when posting their race times. With the various weight removal methods being practiced here I am thinking alot of these times posted are not realistic. A scale would help to explain things. Larry.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I removed the bottom parts of my rears (what 2 pounds MAYBE??? lol).. only so the drag radials fit better and don't mess up the leather.. but since I am single etc etc.. I don't need the rears... and it gives me more space when I am transporting computers from the customer to the shop and back.... but ohterwise it gets run the way I drive it. Yeah sometime I want to weigh mine just for curiousitys sake.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

lookin for a ws6

I will weigh mine next time I am at the track. It is a fully loaded ws6 , a4 and t-tops, and sub frame connectors.

Thats cool. I am beginning to think my "slower than most" time with my car may not be that far off, considering I ran my car full weight (all 3,820 lbs.)

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

No, I'm pretty sure youre slower than most time is because your car weights 300-400lbs more than most.

lookin for a ws6

re

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats cool. I am beginning to think my "slower than most" time with my car may not be that far off, considering I ran my car full weight (all 3,820 lbs.)
    at 3800 lbs. What does your car have to make it weigh that much? I was thinking 3400- 3500 lbs would be normal.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

He has a vert, and was running in the higher 13's; which makes perfect sense since most cars are running 13.3-4 auto stock and they weight in at about 350lbs less.

That is correct, although that 3,820 lbs. is with my 200 lbs. butt in there. The car itself is exactly 3,620 lbs. with 3/4 tank of gas. So it's really not much heavier than a coupe, probably 100-150 lbs. or so depending on options, cars vary a little.
    But the 3,820 lbs. is what it weighs going down the track with me in it, and I want to be accurate with the numbers so people can compare honest information. The car ran 13.78 at 102.52 mph. It was also running very rich, and for some reason the 1-2 shift was accuring at 5,500, and the 2-3 shift was accuring at 6,000 rpms. I have since adjusted the shift points where they need to be and have the fuel trims more in line where they should be. Going back to the track soon and hope to see another 1-2 tenths. Larry.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Good luck man.

black
    1998 z28 camaro

ok. I haven't checked this board in a while and yea I agree with you about people removing things out of there car. I don't mind the people removing the spare and the jack but you start removing the interior out just to drag that's kind of gay. and when I posted my times that was with full interior plus cleaning supplies laptop and books. I did not remove the spare or the jack. mainly because I figured any weight lost of the right rear by removing them would actually hurt me during my launch. I have a heavy foot. as shown by either bogging out of the hole or spinning like there's no tomorrow. I haven't seen my car in a few months (due to deployment) but I'm sure I can repeat if not better my 13.42 run with the same weight. although I've lost about 15 lbs since I deployed. oh well. we shall see.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Only thing I've ever removed was spare and jack. Stock though with a4 and 2.73 I went 13.7@104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information