SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Stock motor no power mod SS A4 runs 7.6's in 1/8th

Well, at least that what I hope I'll be able to say tomorrow night. I'm taking the SS to the track one more time still stock (well no power mods anyhow) in better air and see if I can better its best time to date of 7.89 @ 86.399. Mods that matter are a 12 bolt rear with 3.90 gears this time, PT4000 converter and some Hoosier QTP 26 x 9.5 x 16 tires (teeny little things). Car dyno'd at 308 to the tires with a much tighter converter and 3.42's so I'm sure I'm under 300 to the tires now. It's supposed to be around 10 degrees cooler with decent barometric pressure tomorrow night so I'm hoping for at least a tenth better time and maybe even .2. Yeah, I'm hoping for a miracle but if I plant every bit of available power and shift at just the right moment, I may pull that 7.6x out of my hat. Headers going on next week so I won't be able to say I'm stock power anymore. Results to follow when I get back from the track.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Well, the air wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped for tonight. The temps were in the mid 60's but so was the dew point. My driver didn't heat the tires good enough on the first attempt and massive wheelsping off the line was the result. That pass was aborted and the car hot lapped with less than 5 minutes between passes. The incrementals on Run #2 are as follows.
    60' 1.676
    330' 5.004
    660' 7.819
    MPH 87.252
    I'm still thinking that 7.6x's out of a stock motor'd car are possible even with DOT tires like I have but either there's got to be great air or the car has to be lighter than my car. The headers are going on the car next week and probably get tuned within the next month. My next goal is a 7.5x still on the stock motor but with headers.

XTrooper
    7.60's out of a car with your mods would be very difficult without some serious weight reduction.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I pretty much agree with you XTrooper. I had to have a goal though, right??? The car is more than not light, it's several hundred pounds heavier than most. I'm pretty sure the 7.81 we got out of it is about as good as it's going to get. Headers are going on this week and also some weight reduction. I think 7.60's or even some 50's are possible then.

XTrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
    I pretty much agree with you XTrooper. I had to have a goal though, right??? The car is more than not light, it's several hundred pounds heavier than most. I'm pretty sure the 7.81 we got out of it is about as good as it's going to get. Headers are going on this week and also some weight reduction. I think 7.60's or even some 50's are possible then.
    Hey, go for it! I certainly wasn't trying to discourage you.

I was just speaking from the experiences I had when I still owned my modded 1999 Camaro SS. It was heavy too with a race weight of over 3600 lbs.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper
    Hey, go for it! I certainly wasn't trying to discourage you.

I was just speaking from the experiences I had when I still owned my modded 1999 Camaro SS. It was heavy too with a race weight of over 3600 lbs.
    That's an area I have to work on with my car. The race weight on the 7.81 @ 87 n'change pass was 3700 pounds. I've run a 7.94 @ 86 n'change with my 400 pound arse in the car bringing the race weight up to 3900 pounds. It's time to start removing unnecessary weight from the car. Though I'll never do it in this order, I'd be curious as to how quick my stock power car would go if I could get the raceweight down to around 3100-3200 pounds like I see several peoples' cars on here. Since Winter is right around the corner, I might go ahead and snatch the AC since I plan on doing that when the 408 goes in anyhow. I'm turning it into a track mostly/only car so I'll probably ditch the whole exhaust system when I get the headers on for another 50 pound or so weight reduction. Though I don't want to come off sounding cocky, I'm pretty confident of 7.50's in the 1/8th once I get the headers on and the car tuned especially if I pull some unwanted dead weight from the car. And yes, before anyone asks, I consider myself unwanted dead weight on the car.

jay98ta
    Where is is obx NC I live in the Holden Beach area Keep tring where theres a will theres a way

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

I live in Kill Devil Hills which is on the Outer Banks (OBX). It's on the northern end of the chain of islands off the coast. I keep the car over in Elizabeth City to try to protect it from all the salt air down here.

bbqz28
    Besides the rear, converter and slicks, what have you done to the suspension to get those times? I've run an 8.44 w/ mine so far with the stock converter/stock 3.23's on street tires and am curious as to what it'll take to get mine that quick.

SS and 3/S TT owner

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

8.44 with the stock converter and street tires is probably a world record. Well, maybe not a world record but damned fast nonetheless. That's about what my car will run right now with regular street tires. The only other suspension mod I've got is the relocation brackets done at the same time as the rear. My car does not have drag shocks or anything like that. It has been lowered 2" front and back but that's probably hurting me at the track more than it's helping me. I'm having difficulty getting the guy to install the headers for me. He keeps having other jobs take priority over mine. I knew this was a possibility going in but he's the best there is in the area and I want him working on my car. I'm going over there tomorrow (well, later today actually looking at the time) to see if I can do anything to expedite the header installation. I really think 7.50's are not only possible but likely one the headers are installed and the car tuned for them.

Thread Information