Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

stock LS1, A4 or M6 better at track?

This is a discussion on stock LS1, A4 or M6 better at track? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; actually I don't think it's fun to shift and all that, every now and then I simmulate what an M6 ...

Thumbs up

actually I don't think it's fun to shift and all that, every now and then
    I simmulate what an M6 would feel like by manually dropping into 2nd @ 30 mi/hr then punch to 5k rev then shift to 3rd and then 5k rev again then D.. honestly the drive seems a tiny bit more aggressive cause you rev faster since you're in lower gear. it is fun to do that once in a while it get old after a while so I like the smoothness of the shifting done by the auto tranny, also I have 3:73 gears and it revs better than stock gears. so most people think M6 is fun and call A4 guys lazy or girls. but you know what I actually like the way A4 drives with the 3200 stall and 3.73 gears on. the shift points are progarmmable and A4 with the mods and shift points moved to be more aggresive is fun.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    actually I don't think it's fun to shift and all that, every now and then
    I simmulate what an M6 would feel like by manually dropping into 2nd @ 30 mi/hr then punch to 5k rev then shift to 3rd and then 5k rev again then D.. honestly the drive seems a tiny bit more aggressive cause you rev faster since you're in lower gear. it is fun to do that once in a while it get old after a while so I like the smoothness of the shifting done by the auto tranny, also I have 3:73 gears and it revs better than stock gears. so most people think M6 is fun and call A4 guys lazy or girls. but you know what I actually like the way A4 drives with the 3200 stall and 3.73 gears on. the shift points are progarmmable and A4 with the mods and shift points moved to be more aggresive is fun.

If you like it then thats cool.

But I think that the majority of sports car owners will agree that manual is much more fun overall.

Everyone has their own preference though.

Thumbs up

it depends on how you build the tranny in A4, like I said stall and a good moded tranny and moving those shift points with a prog will feel very close to M6.. stock A4 tranny is not very impressive. For some reason M6 drivers get cocky about what they could do dumping the clutch blah blah. they forget that it's all about getting to higher rev faster and staying withing the power band, and while you can achieve that in M6, in A4 a gears upgrade, stall and built up tranny will be doing almost the same thing. also, most people I've raced having M6 have a problem shifting right at times while racing. even a few friends of mine which I consider track drivers miss shift every now and then. so there's pluses and minuses on both sides.
    I do play with the gears change in auto 2 to 3 to D at times to mix it up a bit and drop the gears manually not much diff in the feel.
    Last edited by djvaly; 02-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Daytona Grey
    2003 Audi RS6

As far as being faster. Correct me if i am wrong those SS factory freaks that went into the 12s and trapped almost 110 Bone stock were 6M. I dont recall any SS Bone stock making those trap speeds or ets.

I cant really speak from experience being that i never drove a RWD MT at a drag strip. But i would think a Auto would be best suited for Braket racing. Granted if you are good you wont mess up and be consisten every time. But there is always a chance of missing a shift and being eliminated. I cant imaging anyone who would rather have a manual if they used there car only for braket racing. Most drag cars are AT.

67 Tempest, click the pic mullenh's Avatar

click avatar
    1967 pontiac

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    if you raced the same LS1 car which one gives better 1/4mi time A4 or M6? and why...
    I know once you get into stall, gears, DR sticky tires etc, things can change for the better on both sides, but as bone stock which one wins A4 or M6 and by how much usually? I heard a lot of "hear say" about this so I need some links to tech magazines covering this issue if possible as well. Thanks!
    ok today I raced a new 2006 m6 vette (twice) in the 1/8 and won but i have a 3800 stall and without it it I may have lost. i need bigger tires too. 235s don't cut it at all.

good win...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information