Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

stock LS1, A4 or M6 better at track?

This is a discussion on stock LS1, A4 or M6 better at track? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 whereas M6s even with a good driver will vary by at least 3-4 tenths. 5 runs ...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    whereas M6s even with a good driver will vary by at least 3-4 tenths.
    5 runs in one night.

M6.
    And I am a shitty driver.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

so you say consistancy doesnt mean squat. hmm well what if you are out havign fun one day showing off andjust having a blast. you being an m6 have a best track time of 13.0 and the A4 that rolled up to the light next to you also has a best time of 13.0. I think whoever you are showing off for might be a little disappointed that you got SMOKED by a crappy auto. I normally do about 8 track runs everytime I go and ALL runs are within a tenth of each other whereas M6s even with a good driver will vary by at least 3-4 tenths.
    Anyone who knows their car worth a damn will be able to pull relatively consistant runs in an M6. First time at the track my runs never varied by more than .2 seconds, and that was with zero track experience and not knowing where to launch at, ect.

I feel I can capably drive my M6 on the street pretty consistantly, Its really not that hard when you have good tires, a good clutch, and a Pro 5.0 short shifter.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I love my m6 it super fun to drive and i get badass gas mileage on the highway. Bein consistant on the track dosent really matter since the nearest track is 60 miles away. M6 is way better for the street if you dont care about shifting all the time and its pretty easy to drag race if you practice a couple times.

nice numbers Lous... are those sea level corrected.. prob not.
    at your elevation u should eat that c6 z06... they do 11.6 stock at sea low altitude.
    so you should be in low 11s even peak into high 10s with corrected time.
    Last edited by djvaly; 01-04-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    nice numbers Lous... are those sea level corrected.. prob not.
    at your elevation u should eat that c6 z06... they do 11.6 stock at sea low altitude.
    so you should be in low 11s even peak into high 10s with corrected time.
    Dyno corrects.
    Track doesn't.

Assuming everything was perfect like the day Ranger ran his Z06 to a 10.85 (-850 DA) my corrected time was a 10.6 at 131.
    Now...will it do that??? Probably not. Won't ever claim that time either. Still just an upper 11 second car.

I'd say mid 11s. it's good to be honest about your slips.

Red
    1997 Camaro SS

I bracket race my 97 SS M6 and I don't think there is much difference in consistency once you get going. An M6 car is much harder to launch and will take better tires to get the same launch. On a stock car controlling engine rpm and keeping the car from rolling while you are taking care of the lights are problems you don't have with an auto.
    Once that is done a decent driver can be as consistent with an M6 as an auto. How fast the transmission shifts has nothing to do with consistency. Stock for stock I have never had an auto Lt1 outrun me if we get an even start. It is only a problem if I don't get a good light and a good 60 foot time.
    An M6 is also harder on the rear because of shock than a stock auto. If you are trying to make the car live through a season of racing this can be important. If you modify a manual car with a good driveline, line lock, two step and good tires you should be able to launch with a stalled auto but it is just more difficult to drive.

97SSM6

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I'd say mid 11s. it's good to be honest about your slips.
    My goal is 11.70 here.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by JS02 View Post
    I bracket race my 97 SS M6 and I don't think there is much difference in consistency once you get going. An M6 car is much harder to launch and will take better tires to get the same launch. On a stock car controlling engine rpm and keeping the car from rolling while you are taking care of the lights are problems you don't have with an auto.
    Once that is done a decent driver can be as consistent with an M6 as an auto. How fast the transmission shifts has nothing to do with consistency. Stock for stock I have never had an auto Lt1 outrun me if we get an even start. It is only a problem if I don't get a good light and a good 60 foot time.
    An M6 is also harder on the rear because of shock than a stock auto. If you are trying to make the car live through a season of racing this can be important. If you modify a manual car with a good driveline, line lock, two step and good tires you should be able to launch with a stalled auto but it is just more difficult to drive.

97SSM6
    are you saying you never got beat by a stock lt1 auto, or a modded one? because i know your an ss lt1 and my car stock out ran the 96 vette with just tranny work and a stage 3 shift kit. now that i got my stroker, lol i wont even waste my gas on any lt1 even if it is modded! i say for street and track if you want to win its auto!! but the m6 is a lot of fun. this is my first auto ever out of 6 cars and i love it. next is a manual because i want to shift.

White
    2001 Camaro SS

so you say consistancy doesnt mean squat. hmm well what if you are out havign fun one day showing off andjust having a blast. you being an m6 have a best track time of 13.0 and the A4 that rolled up to the light next to you also has a best time of 13.0. I think whoever you are showing off for might be a little disappointed that you got SMOKED by a crappy auto. I normally do about 8 track runs everytime I go and ALL runs are within a tenth of each other whereas M6s even with a good driver will vary by at least 3-4 tenths.
    My first time out at the track I ran:

M6

and that .28 came because my girlfriend was in the car, and shes fat!! haha ok she's not fat but she was in the car!!

Nice job on the 5 runs Mr. Luos but I call BS on the fact that you can't drive!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Well...maybe I consistently suck.

black
    1998 camaro ss

I have been bracket racing my m6 at RFR in Eau Claire, Wisc for about 3 years, and my passes on the same day in the same air vary by a few hundredths, if I was off by tenths, I would be contemplating suicide!, and going home with my tail between my legs, and a whooped ass, even in the lowly se class, an m6 can be deadly consistent if driven right, and is almost always, in my experience a little quicker than a stock a4.
    98 ss #1978 black, 6spd., loudmouth, ls6 intake, pro 5.0, amw catch can, mti clearlid, slp ramair, 275/40 nitto drs, all the free stuff, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, HiTech tune. 345RWHP, 352RWTq. 12.774 @ 109.91 1.99 60'.

Black
    1998 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mplss View Post
    I have been bracket racing my m6 at RFR in Eau Claire, Wisc for about 3 years, and my passes on the same day in the same air vary by a few hundredths, if I was off by tenths, I would be contemplating suicide!, and going home with my tail between my legs, and a whooped ass, even in the lowly se class, an m6 can be deadly consistent if driven right, and is almost always, in my experience a little quicker than a stock a4.

I have trouble getting that kind of consistency with my A4, and I have BFG DR's LCA's and panhard bar. I'm thinking the torque management in the stock tune is the culprit. I do get enough consistency to go 3-4 rounds every week with an ocasional win. You my friend are an exceptional driver, I ususally have no trouble beating an M6 car bracket racing. An ET on the window is a brutal equalizer. An M6 will always give better numbers at the track if all goes perfect, and an A4 will be slightly slower but will win many more bracket races. I have gone 13.23 @ 102.5 mph with a 1.80 60' in a stock 98 TA with A4 2.73 gears and a lid.

Red
    1997 Camaro SS

I think you misunderstood me . I said stock for stock I had never been outrun if I had an equal start. I have been outrun by modded cars. I have lost when I did a poor job at the lights. It is possible there is a car that will outrun me with an auto but so far the general rule is that the auto's are not any faster. I always am faster than an auto speed wise. When you modify the car then everything changes. If you want to comare the two you have to compare stock to stock first then compare mods.

97SSM6

black
    1998 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 98ls1blackbird View Post
    I have trouble getting that kind of consistency with my A4, and I have BFG DR's LCA's and panhard bar. I'm thinking the torque management in the stock tune is the culprit. I do get enough consistency to go 3-4 rounds every week with an ocasional win. You my friend are an exceptional driver, I ususally have no trouble beating an M6 car bracket racing. An ET on the window is a brutal equalizer. An M6 will always give better numbers at the track if all goes perfect, and an A4 will be slightly slower but will win many more bracket races. I have gone 13.23 @ 102.5 mph with a 1.80 60' in a stock 98 TA with A4 2.73 gears and a lid.
    I may not have been totally clear in my previous post-on a good day my times are within hundredths, I have had many bad days when I cant find my ass with both hands, and go home after the first round, I was speaking only for the potential consistency of an m6, when the driver is on his game-John Force I a'int!
    Last edited by mplss; 01-30-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Red
    1997 Camaro SS

I think that says it all. There have been quite a few posters on here that speak for the consistency of an M6. In my case the launch is the most important and the hardest. Once I get going I don't think a decent driver gives up much to an auto when both are stock. It is easier to launch an auto than it is an M6 so there is a consistency advantage there.

97SSM6

black
    1998 camaro ss

Testify.

Quote Originally Posted by JS02 View Post
    I think that says it all. There have been quite a few posters on here that speak for the consistency of an M6. In my case the launch is the most important and the hardest. Once I get going I don't think a decent driver gives up much to an auto when both are stock. It is easier to launch an auto than it is an M6 so there is a consistency advantage there.

97SSM6
    as stock cars, A4 for consistency, M6 harder take off and 3.42 gears help a little on faster acceleration vs 2.73 or 3.23 on A4. M6 does yeild inconsistency due to human error in shifting timing, sliping etc.

black
    1998 camaro ss

No question over the long term, say 100 passes, an a4 is going to be easier to launch, its a matter of a virtually infallible computer vs. a very fallible human. But for me the deciding factor in going m6 is the fun factor. Even though I primarily use mine for bracket racing, I love to shift. Yeah, the m6 has cost me my share of competition rounds, but I have raced w/an auto., and at the risk of sounding like a tool, found it a little dull. Theres a reason they call it stab-n-steer. That said, my deepest apologies to the a4 pilots, its just my .02, and who the hell am I?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mplss View Post
    No question over the long term, say 100 passes, an a4 is going to be easier to launch, its a matter of a virtually infallible computer vs. a very fallible human. But for me the deciding factor in going m6 is the fun factor. Even though I primarily use mine for bracket racing, I love to shift. Yeah, the m6 has cost me my share of competition rounds, but I have raced w/an auto., and at the risk of sounding like a tool, found it a little dull. Theres a reason they call it stab-n-steer. That said, my deepest apologies to the a4 pilots, its just my .02, and who the hell am I?
    Dude I feel the same way. 50% of the fun in racing is launching and grabbing through the gears as fast as possible.

Sure autos can be more consistant, but for fun factor?? Not even close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information