Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Six less ricers in Charlotte

This is a discussion on Six less ricers in Charlotte within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller Saw this on the news the other day...and was damn glad to see it. I'm a ...

  1. #21
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    Saw this on the news the other day...and was damn glad to see it.

    I'm a student at UNCC myself and have had a few run-ins with them in the parking deck and university area since buying my Camaro last year. The times I had to be on campus any later than 8pm...it became a real hassle to get out of there in one piece and at the speed limit. And yeah, they do turn stretches of 485 into makeshift drag strips late at night.

    You mentioned the closing of Shuffletown...and I fully blame it for the street racing issues we have in the area today. It used to be cool to go to the strip on weekends and race, but since they built those houses and apartments, and people were smart enough to move next door to a drag strip and complain about noise...all we have left is Mooresville. And well, ricers aren't quite as welcome in redneck Nascar country as they are around a college campus.

    While the new drag strip in Concord is awesome...I dont think it will do a damn thing for the street racing problem we have. I've been in touch with these guys. Going to a drag strip and paying a track fee is lame and boring. They'd much rather have the adrenaline rush of going 140 on a highway, dodging cops and traffic. No highway fee either.

    It's no longer cool to race at the strip to these idiots. If anything, they'll race more as a slap in the face to Concord Dragway.

    That's cool to see a young guy like yourself understanding that! Good for you.

    Shuffletown was legendary for an 1/8 miler. I once watched an 80's Mustang hit 150 there (obviously it was highly modded and strictly a drag car). Anyway, at the end of the run, something happened and he managed to flip it.......several times. I'll always remember him pulling himself through the window opening, standing up to wave to the crowd, and then he collapsed!! He ended up just having some minor injuries, but the funny thing was the "yee-haws" were loudest when he fell down! Truly redneck and it was great! That was in the late 80's, as I recall.

    If you see the cars that are getting seized for street racing around here, most are ricer type. Only a few F-bodies, 'vettes, Mustangs end up getting seized. I guess that is an indicator as to who is doing most of this, because if the car is identified - even if you can get away - it's gonna be history.


    Good luck at UNCC.

  2. #22
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    They didn't say how long it took the guy to GET TO 140mph. Whatya think, one maybe two hours
    In truth, it amazes me HOW many cars can reach 140. Although some do take a LONG time to reach it.

  3. #23
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Club suspended from meeting, activities at UNCC


  4. #24
    Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    862

    Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Thank God.

    And yeah, while I myself was barely alive the last time Shuffletown was open, I've heard more than my share of stories from that place. My dad was a regular out there on weekends for years during the 70s and 80s with his yellow '73 Comet GT that had a prototype Holmen Moody Nascar engine dropped in it and tuned personally by Ralph Moody himself. You were around back then...I'll let you imagine what kind of a beast that thing was (and he ran the damn thing on open headers...as a DD).

    Anyway, I agree...most of the ones I see that are doing more than just opening their car up on an open highway are ricers, and the only organized illegal drags I've ever gotten wind of have been mostly ricers with the occasional mustang, f-body, or vette that gets goaded or buys a new car and gets in with the wrong crowd. I only ever see them en masse though at Mooresville.

  5. #25
    Junior Member InEEdSPEED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    68

    Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

    I like how people watch street racing videos and leave comments and say hell ya nice runs, then turn around and say oh dumbasses shouldnt have been street racing.

    You have to go one way, you cant be a hypocrite and expect to be taken seriously.

    In my opinion, if they want to street race let them. They give me good videos to watch, (althought i hate watching civics because 90 percent are slow and boring). I used to street race and we did it safely. A closed down business park racing 1 v 1 in a organized fashion, with no people on the side only at the start. I dont like that people could get hurt, but in a sense racing at the drag strip is also dangerous.

    Just my 2c.

    But all in all, take it to the track.
    Last edited by InEEdSPEED; 08-26-2008 at 01:44 PM.

  6. #26
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by InEEdSPEED View Post
    I like how people watch street racing videos and leave comments and say hell ya nice runs, then turn around and say oh dumbasses shouldnt have been street racing.

    You have to go one way, you cant be a hypocrite and expect to be taken seriously.

    In my opinion, if they want to street race let them. They give me good videos to watch, (althought i hate watching civics because 90 percent are slow and boring). I used to street race and we did it safely. A closed down business park racing 1 v 1 in a organized fashion, with no people on the side only at the start. I dont like that people could get hurt, but in a sense racing at the drag strip is also dangerous.

    Just my 2c.

    But all in all, take it to the track.
    Maybe I'm just confused, but didn't you just do what you said keeps a person from being taken seriously?

  7. #27
    Junior Member InEEdSPEED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    68

    Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Maybe I'm just confused, but didn't you just do what you said keeps a person from being taken seriously?
    You are confused, basically i have no control over what people are going to do. Therefore, if they are going to street race let them, meaning there is nothing me or you can do about it. But at the same time, i used to street race. I was very young (about 17). I know now that its better to take it to the track. But i was making my point that even when i did it we did it in the most safe area/way possible.

    All i was saying

    but all in all...like i said...better to take it to the track.

  8. #28
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by InEEdSPEED View Post
    You are confused, basically i have no control over what people are going to do.

    Therefore, if they are going to street race let them, meaning there is nothing me or you can do about it.

    But at the same time, i used to street race. I was very young (about 17). I know now that its better to take it to the track. But i was making my point that even when i did it we did it in the most safe area/way possible.

    All i was saying

    but all in all...like i said...better to take it to the track.
    True about the track, but as far as saying I can do nothing about street racing, you sir are mistaken.

  9. #29
    Junior Member InEEdSPEED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    68

    Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    True about the track, but as far as saying I can do nothing about street racing, you sir are mistaken.
    Are you a cop...or...what?

  10. #30
    Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Henryetta/Tulsa Oklahoma
    Posts
    3,483

    Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by InEEdSPEED View Post
    Are you a cop...or...what?
    ding ding ding!!!

    2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

  11. #31
    Member wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    198
    most of the time hear cops will get their ass handed to them by these cars. 90% of the patrol cars are impala's and caprices'. The fastest copcar around here is the base charger (well the v8 but still not a srt), then add in all of the weight they put in them. I have personaly seen my cousins integra leave one in the dust, granted this was back in like 1999 but still pretty pathetic

  12. #32
    Junior Member InEEdSPEED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winder, GA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    68

    Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    ding ding ding!!!
    Haha.

    Jk. Im actually in the military.

  13. #33
    Speak the truth jad628's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,307

    Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    most of the time hear cops will get their ass handed to them by these cars. 90% of the patrol cars are impala's and caprices'. The fastest copcar around here is the base charger (well the v8 but still not a srt), then add in all of the weight they put in them. I have personaly seen my cousins integra leave one in the dust, granted this was back in like 1999 but still pretty pathetic
    Well I can't honestly say that I didn't have my time of running from cops, SHP as a kid, but one thing I always knew:

    No matter how many times you win, it's the one loss that will cost you dearly.

    Get caught and see whose ass is really getting handed to them (see article). Now that I'm on the flip side, I realize most of these kids don't know when they are really being chased. My days of patrol are behind me, but I only failed to catch two of the ones I actually tried to catch, and only one of them truly got away. The other abandoned his car (jump and run) and he was located later. The Mustang that got away, had a good 30mph lead on me from the git go, and he truly did smoke me. Still, I figured out who owned the car, I just didn't have enough to charge him. That was in 1988 folks, and heavily-modified 5.0's with that body style were few and far between then.

    But back to this group, they are doing this on what will (eventually) be the loop around Charlotte Metro. The problem is that the section they are known to use has very limited ways to exit, legal or not. With a little planning, you are in a pretty solid trap. Also, local agencies here have air units available. between that and the radio, running isn't a wise move. Crown Vics might top out around 130-5, and SHP has some Chargers,etc., capable of a little more. Even some smaller agencies still have some Camaros. I haven't seen a single car that could out-run any of them after hitting a stop stick.

    This is pre-arranged drag racing. If your car is identified, kiss it goodbye.

    I'm not trying to belittle anyone, I just want people here who put a lot of time, effort, and money, in their cars, to not lose it because they made a bad decision. Internet warriors are plentiful, just don't make a real-life mistake because someone put you up to it with forum bragging.
    Last edited by jad628; 08-29-2008 at 05:51 AM.

  14. #34
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    As far as little or no traffic, that ain't even a possibility in the Charlotte area anymore. I remember getting on either I-77 or I-85 early mornings (say 0400) and rarely seeing anything other than a few tractor-trailers. Nowadays, the number of exits have probably doubled on both Interstates, the population has exploded (Charlotte is one of the highest levels of new homes sales in the US), and traffic has multiplied dramatically. I went to Florida a couple of weeks ago and left on a Monday morning at 0510. When I tried to merge onto I-77S I had to fit in between cars running in the outside lane!
    These people are idiots for racing in Charlotte. Every time I drive through there the roads are congested as hell. Just a week and half ago while I was coming back from Florida we were driving through Charlotte and this riced out Integra that had scrape marks all over the side was trying to race me in traffic. I just looked at him like he was an idiot and then when I would not bite he jumped in front of me just barely missing my front bumper. Then he proceeded to pass traffic by getting into the entrance ramp beside us cutting off another car, floored it to get ahead of another car then remerged with traffic causing a lot of cars to blow there horns at him. All in a effort to get me to race him in 5 oclock Charlotte traffic. So now why do ricers wonder why no one shows them respect?

  15. #35
    3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,365

    Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    These people are idiots for racing in Charlotte. Every time I drive through there the roads are congested as hell. Just a week and half ago while I was coming back from Florida we were driving through Charlotte and this riced out Integra that had scrape marks all over the side was trying to race me in traffic. I just looked at him like he was an idiot and then when I would not bite he jumped in front of me just barely missing my front bumper. Then he proceeded to pass traffic by getting into the entrance ramp beside us cutting off another car, floored it to get ahead of another car then remerged with traffic causing a lot of cars to blow there horns at him. All in a effort to get me to race him in 5 oclock Charlotte traffic. So now why do ricers wonder why no one shows them respect?

    Because their all POS's. Trying to prove a point that they have a fast car, the one in 50 you actually run across that has a turbo, and actually makes a decent run. Just a bunch of dumb ass kids that watched one too many movies.

  16. #36
    Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    862

    Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    Because their all POS's. Trying to prove a point that they have a fast car, the one in 50 you actually run across that has a turbo, and actually makes a decent run. Just a bunch of dumb ass kids that watched one too many movies.
    That reminds me...there's another The Fast and the Furious movie coming out.

    Saw the previews for it when I went and saw Death Race last week...I'll probably end up going to see it, but damnit. It's gonna give people the "10 second civic" bug all over again. Just in time for kids' Christmas lists too..

  17. #37
    Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    897

    Red
    1999 Trans Am

    Hah i bet if they go check out ImportsNC.com they coulda gotten all 40

    http://www.importsnc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43242

    If that helps at all, NC has a whole ricer forum they sit around and laugh at ricers.... i find it..... redundant.

    and heres someone who took pictures of all the cars that showed.

    http://www.importsnc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40909

    Ricer convention.....
    Last edited by 95camaroZNC; 08-31-2008 at 08:41 PM.

  18. #38
    3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,365

    Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    That reminds me...there's another The Fast and the Furious movie coming out.

    Saw the previews for it when I went and saw Death Race last week...I'll probably end up going to see it, but damnit. It's gonna give people the "10 second civic" bug all over again. Just in time for kids' Christmas lists too..

    I heard about that. Vin, and Paul supposed to make a come back in this one. What a waist of film. Now some poor little ricer is going to come out of the theatre and try to pick on a big boy car and get his feelings hurt.


    Silly ricer 4 cyl are for kids.

  19. #39
    Senior Member KyleLs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada eh
    Posts
    3,534

    NBM
    99 TA


  20. #40
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Looks like there is a lot more muscle cars this time around. Maybe some of them will realize rice is bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from NC (outside of charlotte)
    By 03venum in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 01:09 AM
  2. Greetings From Charlotte
    By L5.3S in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 03:37 PM
  3. New from Charlotte, NC
    By runnred22 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM
  4. Not so new From Charlotte
    By Iknowthefuture in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 07:46 PM
  5. Anyone from Charlotte,NC
    By Dillard99 in forum Eastern Members
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 03:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •