Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
Like Tree2Likes

Should I launch it?

This is a discussion on Should I launch it? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; I found one pretty cheap and keep it around as a spare....

  1. #21
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    I found one pretty cheap and keep it around as a spare.

  2. #22
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    1k gets you 3/4 of the way to a used 12 bolt,I see them going for $1200-$1500 all the time on tech.
    that is good to know only ones I've seen lately were not much off of new price

  3. #23
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They also grenaded that rearend not too long ago

    That car now has a drop in Dana 60 I believe
    Didn't see that the way they talked it wasn't a bad set up, I know the 12 is far better just not ready to spend that money yet maybe sooner than later plan on a few track days with Jeff upcoming, should I bring it on a trailer Jeff....lol

  4. #24
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    They also grenaded that rearend not too long ago

    That car now has a drop in Dana 60 I believe
    Yeah But.....

    The brakes went to the floor and they did a panic downshift with wheel hop supreme and that rearend didn't stand a chance when stupid shit like that gets done to it.

    Most guys break them dragracing because they get greedy,granny it out of the hole and you will be fine.

  5. #25
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    that is good to know only ones I've seen lately were not much off of new price
    I found a Dana 60 on Ebay last summer for $1,500. I lost out on the auction because I had to work on the auction end day and my proxy wasn't high enough

    I just seen a 12 bolt last week on Tech go for $1200. plus your old 10 bolt.

  6. #26
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    granny it out of the hole and you will be fine.
    This defeats the point of drag racing.

  7. #27
    rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arlington,Texas
    Age
    26
    Posts
    815

    Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This defeats the point of drag racing.
    Exactly. If I can't go balls to the wall then it's a waste of my time and money. I'm sure this care is capable of 11's, and I won't be happy till that's what the board says

  8. #28
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Didn't see that the way they talked it wasn't a bad set up, I know the 12 is far better just not ready to spend that money yet maybe sooner than later plan on a few track days with Jeff upcoming, should I bring it on a trailer Jeff....lol

    Nah. We'll get her home for you on ours. Also have the garage for secure storage just in case someone does grenade at the track and we run out of time on the weekend to make a trip.

  9. #29
    Waiting on the Tree transamtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Niagara Falls Ont.Canada
    Posts
    927

    NBM
    1999 TA A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This defeats the point of drag racing.
    I watched a friends car (M6 TT Hawk) twist the DS in two on ET streets and the 10 bolt held.

    He broke it 2 weeks later.

    Running it out the top end for speed can be fun.

    If I blow the tires off I get back in it rather than just drive down the track like some people.

    ET is nice and shows you can drive but MPH shows the cars power and it doesn't lie.

  10. #30
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    While I agree, I would rather run in the 11's with a 120MPH than in the 12's

  11. #31
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    To add, that is really why you shouldn't run your car at the drag strip unless it is built to run at the drag strip. Playing doesn't come cheap as we all know, and in the process it can be dangerous when you don't take the correct preventions; upgraded drive shaft, drive shaft safety loop, scatter shield, upgraded rear, aftermarket clutch, etc.

    Even running with street tires can be dangerous at the strip. Have you ever shifted into 2nd or 3rd even and felt the car come loose? Isn't a good feeling losing traction when there is a wall right next to you.

    The only thing I am not running is a scatter shield - it is in the plans at some point. I'm confident in my clutch though as it's rated for 850 lb-ft of torque.

    Having a DS twist or a rear-end explode at high MPH's isn't fun. I've watched it happen before. Fortunately, the driver didn't get harmed. Others aren't so lucky though!

  12. #32
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Yeah But.....

    The brakes went to the floor and they did a panic downshift with wheel hop supreme and that rearend didn't stand a chance when stupid shit like that gets done to it.

    Most guys break them dragracing because they get greedy,granny it out of the hole and you will be fine.
    That's why they should have put something better in there to begin with When you think about it, they built that car to abuse it on track, road courses, drag strips etc... It was very silly to even think about leaving that 10 bolt in there knowing what that car was getting ready to do.

    It made great magazine coverage I'm sure, but sometimes these mags do stupid shit that doesn't make sense.

    All it really accomplished in my eyes is that it has people now thinking it's a good idea to shove $1,000 in a 10 bolt and then hope and prey it doesn't break and harm themselves or someone else.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-22-2013 at 07:23 AM.

  13. #33
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Having a DS twist or a rear-end explode at high MPH's isn't fun. I've watched it happen before. Fortunately, the driver didn't get harmed. Others aren't so lucky though!
    Had it happen to me, hit 3rd gear and the the rear decided to explode, shoving the driveshaft forward and busting the transmission in the process. Which oiled the track, consequently all over the back tires too which made the car nearly uncontrollable. Almost put it in the wall.

  14. #34
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    He broke it 2 weeks later.

    Running it out the top end for speed can be fun.

    If I blow the tires off I get back in it rather than just drive down the track like some people.

    ET is nice and shows you can drive but MPH shows the cars power and it doesn't lie.
    Sort of.... Generally you wind up with a slightly higher trap speed when that happens. Improving your 60 foot with better tires helps the ET, but in some cases will diminish the MPH somewhat.

    I agree though, it's still fun, and I hate to waste a run if I'm just playing around with a street car. Something more serious and/or expensive however I'll abort the run if I blow the start, especially class racing because you've lost at that point, and just save the equipment.

  15. #35
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Nah. We'll get her home for you on ours. Also have the garage for secure storage just in case someone does grenade at the track and we run out of time on the weekend to make a trip.
    sounds good to me I'm not too worried as long as you put it over the summer Don't Hero launch it it should be fine, just looking to have some fun and catch the sickness, and if it breaks something I'll just have to fix it better
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

  16. #36
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    sounds good to me I'm not too worried as long as you put it over the summer Don't Hero launch it it should be fine, just looking to have some fun and catch the sickness, and if it breaks something I'll just have to fix it better
    That's the spirit

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    29

    White
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I watched a friends car (M6 TT Hawk) twist the DS in two on ET streets and the 10 bolt held.

    He broke it 2 weeks later.

    Running it out the top end for speed can be fun.

    If I blow the tires off I get back in it rather than just drive down the track like some people.

    ET is nice and shows you can drive but MPH shows the cars power and it doesn't lie.

    Ditto on that sir. I have an '02 WS6 M6 with a good amount of bolt-ons, but no actual internal work. I ran on a pair of 275 ET streets and I actually twisted the shaft into 3. I picked up a piece of twisted metal about a foot long off of the track and the other 2 pieces hung from each connection.

    Coming from firsthand experience... unless if you either A) plan on buying a new shaft or rear soon or B) just want to get the best time possible without worrying if you break anything I would be nice to it and not launch very hard at all

  18. #38
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    You can also order a salad and bread at a Steak House and get full. I rather get a Rib Eye, Porterhouse or Fillet though.
    It's on jackstands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. launch
    By Ls1m6Nichols in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM
  2. Launch pic
    By 02blkws6 in forum Member's Rides
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
  3. Launch RPM's
    By baseballguy in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM
  4. Best way to launch...
    By Whiteboycntdnce in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 09:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •