Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Shift Light Location Suggestions

In an attempt to cross items off my bucket list, I have started bracket racing my 2000 SS convertible.
    For a small investment, compared to buying a complete bracket car, I have mounted MT ET Streets out back and MT Sportsman SRs in front, all on Billet Specialties Street Lites.

The car is quick enough for what I need it to do and have already run a 13.61 quarter.
    The car has run consistent 13.6s all night at test and tune

I want to install an Autometer Digiital Pro Shift System Tube, Model 5350, in order to more closely monitor my launch RPM and adjust my shift points more accurately.
    This light gives me the ability to program 4 shift points and, most importantly, the ability to program a launch RPM.

I cannot come up with a location where I can mount it without drilling holes or otherwise marring the interior.

I want to step up to a full blown bracket car, or maybe even a Stock/Super Stock car with the help of the performance shop I am dealing with, in the next year or two.

At that time I want to return my convertible to the fun touring car that it is.

So far, the best I can come up with is to velcro it to the top of the dash and run the wires through some sort of tubing.
    The one criteria is that I need to be able to acces the buttons to make changes to the programming, so mounting it in the AC vent is out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
    In an attempt to cross items off my bucket list, I have started bracket racing my 2000 SS convertible.
    For a small investment, compared to buying a complete bracket car, I have mounted MT ET Streets out back and MT Sportsman SRs in front, all on Billet Specialties Street Lites.

The car is quick enough for what I need it to do and have already run a 13.61 quarter.

I want to install an Autometer Digiital Pro Shift System Tube, Model 5350, in order to more closely monitor my launch RPM and adjust my shift points more accurately.
    This light gives me the ability to program 4 shift points and, most importantly, the ability to program a launch RPM.

I cannot come up with a location where I can mount it without drilling holes or otherwise marring the interior.

I want to step up to a full blown bracket car, or maybe even a Stock/Super Stock car with the help of the performance shop I am dealing with, in the next year or two.

So far, the best I can come up with is to velcro it to the top of the dash and run the wires through some sort of tubing.
    The one criteria is that I need to be able to acces the buttons to make changes to the programming, so mounting it in the AC vent is out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    I'd address the roll bar first. At 13.60's you are close enough to roll bar requirements per NHRA in a convertable. A simple change in the weather (DA conditions) will put you under the mark and you'll get parked. (13.49 is the cutoff). Since you plan to run consistently in bracket and maybe Stock or Super Stock later (big money) the roll bar requirement or the necessity of how extensive will change too.

On a shift light, you mention monitoring launch RPM. sounds like you may need a 2 step to make this easier? Is this a manual trans car or an auto? 2 step in a manual is a a piece of cake, a 2 step in an auto requires a trans brake. May as well start looking at different transmission options at that point (4L60 won't be suitable for a consistent bracket car or trans brake and definately isn't a good choice for stock or super stock.

Got a picture of what you want to mount? Where and how to mount is personal preference. Sounds as though maybe you don't want to drill holes in anything? With what you want to do with the car, that's going to be inevitable in the future as you will be drilling and cutting all kinds of things for Stock/Super Stock competition .
    Some 4th gen owners hide the very small shift lights inside the center AC vent with velcro. Don't know if that's an option for you depending on what this light consists of.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I am actually worried about the 13:49 barrier.
    My local track has allowed some "leeway" when it comes to things like that though.
    Last year, there was a guy running a '69 Camaro Convertible with no roll bar and I know he was quicker than 13:49.

My car is a standard and I am just using it to get my "feet wet".
    If and when I do make the leap to Stock/Super Stock, I will be doing it in a different car.
    I am also aware of the expenses involved, especially the motor, to be competitive in that class.

She shift light I am looking at is a 5 stage, as it has a launch function and 4 preset shift points.
    It also has playback capabilities.
    I realize it may be a bit overkill for what I am doing, but, from the description, it serves my purpose best and the price difference between it and a lesser model is not that great.

I have considered the AC vent, and that may be my best choice.
    The only problem I foresee is that the buttons for programming it, will not be quickly accessible to make changes at the track.

I appreciate your feedback.

Yeah I was wondering if the light you were looking at had buttons attached to it or if they were a seperate piece. That's going to be a deal breaker (in my eyes) as to being able to mount in the AC vent.

The one in the picture you have is made to mount on the steering column (with that bracket) That's relatively easy to do with a simple rubber insulated hose clamp (so it doesn't scratch the paint).

When it's removed you can't tell it was ever there, and it keeps from drilling holes in anything. I use this method on a couple of cars here, old school style.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Steering column was going to be my suggestion also.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Originally, that is what I was thinking also, but it would leave the light too low for me to see the tree and the light at the same time for the launch RPM.

Firebirdjones' comment on the clamp gave me an idea.
    I had been trying to find a way to mount it using the clamp.
    I'm thinking of removing the clamp and using a velcro strip to hold it to the top of the dash.

When I remove the light permanently, I would only have to remove the velcro strip from the dash.

I can run the wires through the defroster grate in the dash.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Put it inside the dash A/C vent.

You really don't have to worry about not seeing the light. From my experience, those things are so damn bright you'll know it when it lights up

As a matter of fact they come with a cover for night driving, and I've forgotten to put mine on. Inadvertantly playing around and hitting the shift point, it's so blinding I can't see the road....then cover quickly goes on

Ever watch cars at night going down the strip? They are a 1/4 mile away and you can still see the shift light come on from the grand stands at the finish line

My opinion they are somewhat overkill on the candle power

Another trick I've done is to wire a shift light to the seatbelt warning light in the dash (on classic cars, never tried this on a 4th gen). Problem with that though is that it just wasn't bright enough. Works fine at night (even though it's out of line of sight it still catches your attention) but during the day it was too difficult to notice.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Okay, now I am leaning towards mounting it on the steering column again.

I guess I am going to have to spring for the light and then see where it best fits, on the dash or on the column.

I know the AC vent is out, as I need to access the buttons.

I think i may have seen a light with a remote controller though.
    Then I could mount the light in the AC vent and hide the controller in the console or glovebox.

This would have been so much easier if I had found a bracket car I liked and was in my budget.

I think i may have seen a light with a remote controller though.
    Then I could mount the light in the AC vent and hide the controller in the console or glovebox.
    This is what I would opt for which is why I was asking for a pic, to see if controls were a seperate piece. Then hide the light in the AC vent for stealth and clean appearance. Stick the controls in the glove box or console, they are only needed occasionally.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, that sounds like a solid idea. I mounted my meth controller in my glove box. I rarely use it (only to ocassionally run a system test) and it is out of harms way and hidden. I'd never use my glove box compartment otherwise.

Get some Velcro tape to use so it doesn't slide around all over inside the glove box if you go that route.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

inside the ac vent is were I mounted my shift light and it works well there. Im also using the a Raptor Duel Stage light and also a 2 step. The shifts light with multiple shift settings just seems like overkill IMO.

Thread Information