Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School Me.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Question School Me.

Alright, I've got a bone stock 02 WS6 A4 with 94,000 miles that is my daily driver.

I'm heavily considering taking it to the Midnight Drags at Tulsa Raceway Park this weekend and running it down the 1/4 mile just for fun.

I've got 245/45/17's in front and 275/45/17's in the rear wrapped around C5Z06 rims.

I'm clueless when it comes to drag racing(aside from going and watching). Any tips/suggestions are welcome.

Do I start in D or OD? Best RPM's to leave at?

Sorry in advance for the dumb newbie questions.

Obviously not looking to set any records or anything like that. Nor do I have a clue what it will run. Mainly just doing it for the fun factor.

Thanks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Do you have TCS? Turn off.

Street tires are not going to do you any favors. Our local tracks have 2 staging lanes, street and slicks. Streets go in front of the water and they let you back into it if you want to heat up the tires, slicks come in from the back of the water.

Not trying to patronize you on this but just covering it. Most tracks have the same system when it comes to the light trees. When you get on line the 1st white light tells you are near the line, 2nd one means you're on it. Once the second driver's 2nd light is on the counter automatically starts. On green go.

With an A4 just start in Drive. You should be getting into OD by the top of the run. You're going to spin, each car is different in how they launch. It may take a few runs to figure out what rpm to go on. With a M6 I'd say start at around 2800, A4's not so sure.

Pay attention to oil pressure and coolant. You're running it harder then normal. Check all fluids prior to leaving for the track. Tires too. Check again before leaving. High rpms = high oil consumption. Check you break pads. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO STOP SAFELY!! It's over looked but one of the most important.

NO leaks, tracks hate coolant & oil leaks.

Most important have fun and be safe.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Right on. One thing I would change is leaving on the last yellow. Being new to racing you will have some high RT's so when you see the last yellow come on mash the pedal. You will red light a few times but when you don't you will get some decent RT's and 60ft times.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Your home tracks website will have a beginners how to on their main page.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I agree on leaving on the last yellow. And with street tires stay out of the water.

black
    2002 WS6

To add, yes leave as soon as you see the last yellow come on. When I run I turn all accessories off, radio, HVAC,anything that will be a distraction or rob power. Don't try to be fancy either, just go to run.

Other things of courtesy, If the car beside you does a burn out an you don't wait for them to finish and move towards the line before you stage, then from there stage. Also the lane closest to the return road generally has right of way when exiting, of course if they are way back don't worry, just watch out for them. Most tracks have two entrances from the track to the return road. I take the last one to keep from over heating the brakes. Keep watch for guys doing that.

Can't really think of any else other then have fun that is the biggest thing and ask the track guys for help and tip, tell them you are new and they will make sure you have a good time.

Oh an important thing to remember too, leave stuff at home like bags and tools and such unless you want to leave it out where everyone can see it. Tech won't let you run unless the car is empty anything that isn't bolted down or squishy. Jackets are fine, tool boxes are not.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

And your windows need to be up. So if they dont work. Might as well stay home.

Navy Blue Metallic

I've run with mine down but then again I have SFC's so I don't flex. OP some tracks require the windows up and may make you take off the T tops. They are afraid that they may pop off if the body flexes enough.

SFC's are something you should consider getting whether you continue to run track or not.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ All good advice.

Pay attention to the track officials as you pull into the lanes. If they try to back you into (or through) the water box, just shake your head "no". You can do a quick burnout to clean off the tires, or simply roll up to the line. Try to keep your car lined up in the rubber and watch the official as he will wave you forward into the staging lights. Protocol is generally that once the first staging light is set, that car stops to let the other driver pre-stage, and then the first driver final stages followed by the second. Doesn't always hold true and not really a set rule, but that seems to be how it works in our area at least.

Again, pay some attention to the official as if a problem is spotted they will either wave you off the track or have you shut down. You'll want a firm foot on the brakes and can bring the revs up a bit for your launch. Try to avoid spinning off the line and if you feel tire shake get out of it. If you want to play harder, you can air up the front tires to around 40 psi and drop the backs down to 20 psi or so for a better bite. I run our car in OD down the track and have never had an issue. Generally best to let the trans shift itself for the most part. I know that stock, our A4 trans would delay the 1-2 shift if I did it manually.

As you finish your run, pay attention to where the other car is especially if you have to cross lanes to exit the track to the return road. Don't forget to pick up your slip from the doghouse. In decent air, you should be able to run a 60' in the 2.1 to 2.2 second range and your quarter mile times should be 13.5 to 13.6 or better at around 105 to 106 mph. If it is hot and humid, the car can slow down a bit but should still run in the 13's at better than 100 mph.

Good luck and have fun!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank each and every one of you for your responses and helpful tips/information/advice.

Very informative. I'll check out my local drag strips website and spend some time there like was mentioned above.

And to answer SMWS6TA, I do not have TCS.

I'm both excited and at the same time starting to get a little hesitant about actually going and running it down the track. This is my only means of transportation and I would be without a vehicle if for some reason something were to happen to my car.

I want to mainly because I'm curious what my car stock would run, plus it sounds like alot of fun, and is legal.

How many of y'all's f-body is your only car, and how often, if at all do you run it down the track?

Thanks again for the responses.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Dont try launching the car at 5K+ RPM with a radar detector on the windshield. It will come flying off right at your face. True story lol. Scared the shit out of me. Stayed in it though lol.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Badass WS6 View Post
    Thank each and every one of you for your responses and helpful tips/information/advice.

Very informative. I'll check out my local drag strips website and spend some time there like was mentioned above.

And to answer SMWS6TA, I do not have TCS.

I'm both excited and at the same time starting to get a little hesitant about actually going and running it down the track. This is my only means of transportation and I would be without a vehicle if for some reason something were to happen to my car.

I want to mainly because I'm curious what my car stock would run, plus it sounds like alot of fun, and is legal.

How many of y'all's f-body is your only car, and how often, if at all do you run it down the track?

Thanks again for the responses.
    I look at the dragstrip as a freeway on ramp,I run my car up to 100 or so getting on the highway so whats the difference?

If your car is an M6 don't power shift and let it cool down between passes for an A4 or M6.

Its very rare to break a stock FBody at the track unless its almost broke before hand.

My 99TA had 120,000 miles on it when I bought it and has made about 350-400 passes in the 3 yrs I have owned it it now has 132,000 and knock on wood no broke parts going from a 13.7 stocker to a 12.2 bolt on car..

The first thing I did was all new fluids(synthetic) and new brakes all the way around,your basic maintenance is the key to healthy car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In its stock format, the biggest issue with our car was the brakes. At the top of the track I would get one good push on the pedal and after that things got dicey. After upgrading the trasnmission and torque converter, I had issues with the brakes holding the car at the line. A set of R1 Concepts rotors, Hawk pads and Russell braided lines fixed all that. As these guys have stated... make sure your car is in good condition and things like the hoses, belts and fluids are all happy.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: Turn off your HVAC system! One, the system will drip water onto the track and that is seriously frowned upon. Two, running your AC compressor at WOT isn't good for it. I believe it is supposed to disengage over a certain engine RPM, but don't chance it. I have raced on 100 degree days and although it seriously sucks wearing long pants and a helmet with the windows up (especially in a black car) it is still racing.

Navy Blue Metallic

I gotta read our track rules again, I've been violating the long pants rule

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Maybe two or so years ago, TLS_Addict and a friend came down to run at the track. They both forgot to bring long pants and the lady in the doghouse busted them for it. Down the road they went to Dollar General for pants. They came back about 20 minutes later with some rather "spiffy" new pants they were able to each buy for around $10 to $15... kind of funny at the time.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Maybe two or so years ago, TLS_Addict and a friend came down to run at the track. They both forgot to bring long pants and the lady in the doghouse busted them for it. Down the road they went to Dollar General for pants. They came back about 20 minutes later with some rather "spiffy" new pants they were able to each buy for around $10 to $15... kind of funny at the time.
    That happened to me once.

It was 110 that day, and the track Manager called Bill Bader head of the IHRA and got an exemption for street cars not faster than 13.00.

1/2 the T&T drivers were wearing shorts.

Too late for me as I went into town and bought some jeans

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ All good advice.

Protocol is generally that once the first staging light is set, that car stops to let the other driver pre-stage, and then the first driver final stages followed by the second. Doesn't always hold true and not really a set rule, but that seems to be how it works in our area at least.

!
    Yep, that's pretty much accepted as common courtesy among drag racers.

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    That happened to me once.

It was 110 that day, and the track Manager called Bill Bader head of the IHRA and got an exemption for street cars not faster than 13.00.

1/2 the T&T drivers were wearing shorts.

Too late for me as I went into town and bought some jeans
    They usually carry that even further, no flip flops and no tank tops. Should be long paints, real shoes, and a T-shirt minimum.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I chickened out.

Decided that since this is my only car and one pass with me hard on it could cause damage, and I don't have the extra funds to throw at it, that I'd be better off just telling people it's a stock 12 second car.

Kidding on the last part.

black
    2002 WS6

The best way lower the chances of hurting it at the track is to make sure everything is in tip top shape, and don't go WOT at the launch, roll the throttle half to three quarters from idle, then bury your foot into the carpet for the rest of the way. A 20min cool down between runs doesn't hurt either.

Thread Information