Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

S-Charged Cobra vs. Stock ls1 M6

This is a discussion on S-Charged Cobra vs. Stock ls1 M6 within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD That is EXACTLY what happened in Factory Stock. I won 2 races in 2001 with my ...

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    That is EXACTLY what happened in Factory Stock. I won 2 races in 2001 with my bolt-on 4V, and held the record for a long time at a 12.4x. By the time I won again, in 2004, I was running 11.4x with a purpose-built motor (still within the rules), and the quickest passes were in the 11.3s.

Only N/A class that NMRA has that runs 9.90s or better is Hot Street...though they are running deep into the 8's now, with an 8.40 record.
    I haven't talked to him in a while, and I just can't remember. Hot Street isn't ringing any bells, but if that's what fits his ET then it was probably it. Keep in mind this was 5-6 years ago, probably when a 9.90 was quick for the class, I remember him qualifying pretty deep in the field. But like you said, this stuff changes so fast. He got married and had kids, such is life. He more or less restores muscle cars now for himself and others. I doubt he will get back into racing anytime soon.

Small world, 04 is about the time frame he was doing it. I've probably watched you or your car and don't even know it. I wouldn't remember now anyway, but kinda funny still.

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Damn they're going quicker than when I was watching factory stock. It used to be a mid to low 11 class. Racing is for the deep pocket people. They take the fun out of it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by seamurda View Post
    The terminators cobras were designed to beat LS1 camaros in my opinion. They pulled out all of the stops in order to make the little 281 beat the 346. Terminator is a project name from the SVT guys who built the 03-04 cobra. Bad cars indeed.
    Thanks Seamurda, their diff bad ass. I actually woundn't mind a 03-04 with that changing paint color. I think their one of the best looking Stangs next to the new ones. And quick enough with a couple mods that not too much reg cars are going to be a issue for street kills.

Damn they're going quicker than when I was watching factory stock. It used to be a mid to low 11 class. Racing is for the deep pocket people. They take the fun out of it.
    That's why they invented bracket racing. I did that for a while but it's just not as fun.

The pure stock racing I did was heads up. Wasn't high dollar because you were running a pure stock muscle car down to the factory air cleaner, tires, no mods to the engine allowed etc....But it's all classic muscle. You were paired with a similar car of ET and MPH, then it's heads up racing. Alot of fun.

There were people cheating, and going faster than possible with what was supposed to be pure stock, and that is how the F.A.S.T. series came about. Once the cheaters came out in the open they were pulled from the pure stock and the FAST racing began. That series is one that has become high dollar now if you want to be competitive. But pure stock is still affordable.

Pewter
    2001 SS Convertible

Those cars are still going for close to 20 grand with decent miles on them. You can get a 96-01 cars for cheap right now. Too much of a pain in the ass to rebuild them though with the sleeved aluminum blocks. Are the LS1's hard to rebuild? Do they need to be re-sleeved like the cobras?

Those cars are still going for close to 20 grand with decent miles on them. You can get a 96-01 cars for cheap right now. Too much of a pain in the ass to rebuild them though with the sleeved aluminum blocks. Are the LS1's hard to rebuild? Do they need to be re-sleeved like the cobras?
    It's been done, but I haven't heard of too many success stories on sleeved LS1's. They can only be bored .005-.010 on stock sleeves. Usually you can only get away with that on low mileage LS1's. If they are more out of round or scored more than that it's done.

In my opinion they are throw away blocks. Sleeving is expensive and only worth while from my experience to save a numbers matching engine. Otherwise I'd move on to another block and start over.
    Most go for the cast iron blocks, as they can be bored, rebuilt, drive it 100,000 miles and later down the road there is room for another bore and rebuild.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not entirely true, since when did size have anything to do with it. As a matter of fact here are a couple pics to help explain the definition. As you can see,,,,,the 2 door sedan in the first pic is actually much smaller than the 2 door hardtop in the second pic.

Here is my ventura,,,a sedan,,,as you can plainly see the frame work around the door window that stays with the door when it opens.
    Click for full size

And here is my chevelle,,,a hardtop, no frame work around the door windows. And for the record,,,you could also get this model as a sedan, with the frame work around the windows,,,and they were the exact same size.
    Click for full size

I don't care what SAE says, it's obvious size has nothing to do with it.
    i wasnt talking about late 60's early 70's muscle cars. i was talking about modern day mustangs that had two options, coupe and convertible. /argument.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    i wasnt talking about late 60's early 70's muscle cars. i was talking about modern day mustangs that had two options, coupe and convertible. /argument.
    Doesn't matter, the term Sedan is still used today. The meaning hasn't changed.

I never mentioned convertables. Coupe/hardtop and sedan/post are different models and that's originally what you started picking about. Big difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information