Red
    2001 Trash Can

Running my first pass..Launch help!?

I'm gonna be making my first pass this weekend, and I'm not too sure what to launch my car at. Stock 10 bolt, street tires, CAI, catback, free mods, short shifter, and that's it. Oh and my car is about to turn 80,000 YIKES!!!

A freind of mine got his best E/T of 13.2 without launching at all, just peddling off the line. Now, he was driving through the waterbox, and wwwaayyy overheating his street tires, but he ran 13.4 consistant and a best of 13.2

What would be a good rpm to launch at without putting a lot of stress on my rear, but at the same time getting me out of the hole pretty quickly. I'm not expecting to break a 2.0 60ft, but anything would help.

THANKS!!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I'm gonna be making my first pass this weekend, and I'm not too sure what to launch my car at. Stock 10 bolt, street tires, CAI, catback, free mods, short shifter, and that's it. Oh and my car is about to turn 80,000 YIKES!!!

A freind of mine got his best E/T of 13.2 without launching at all, just peddling off the line. Now, he was driving through the waterbox, and wwwaayyy overheating his street tires, but he ran 13.4 consistant and a best of 13.2

What would be a good rpm to launch at without putting a lot of stress on my rear, but at the same time getting me out of the hole pretty quickly. I'm not expecting to break a 2.0 60ft, but anything would help.

THANKS!!
    My best results so far have been to actually lightly haze my tires to avoid bogging the car down to much. Usually I launch around 2750-3000 (I use instinct as to which number I am actually closer to). If this is your first pass I would try to launch from idle first, then start raising the RPMs up slowly (maybe 500 each pass). Granted there is still alot more to launching then just launching at a certain RPM, but with experience you should start to get a hang of things and with some experimentation figure out what works best for your car and you.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Granted there is still alot more to launching then just launching at a certain RPM, but with experience you should start to get a hang of things and with some experimentation figure out what works best for your car and you.
    Yea, just getting basic figures to see what works best over a broad range so that when I'm comfortable, I can find a good RPM range to practice from. Remember too, I have a stock 10 bolt! I'll post up my slips if it doesn't friggen rain!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Yea, just getting basic figures to see what works best over a broad range so that when I'm comfortable, I can find a good RPM range to practice from. Remember too, I have a stock 10 bolt! I'll post up my slips if it doesn't friggen rain!
    With street tires you should spin before you break anything (of course anything can happen). I have the stock 10 bolt, one reason I run street tires most of the time (only once with drag radials because the track made me) is because with street tires you can not apply torque. Without being able to apply very much torque to the tires without them spinning the rear is not put under very much stress.

I would also find an empty concrete road and practice some so you can get used to what the car will feel like. Hopefully, you will get better traction at your track, but the more seat time you have the better you should do.

Whenever I am hazing the tires I usually just keep the throttle held in position for a bit until they catch enough to handle full throttle.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Cool, good to know. I'm gonna have to take her out tomorrow, thursday and friday and practice some launches, but hopefully I can get the feeling for it. I'm not too worried about shifting. Not to be arrogant but I think I can shift pretty quickly and accurately, it's just the launch I'm gonna have to work on.

I guess I'll just be peddling out of the hole haha.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

i didn't know you were an m6 ws6er. i don't have that much experience with launching either. my car likes to get sideways on me when i warm the tires up, i guess there's no way to avoid it though.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    i didn't know you were an m6 ws6er. i don't have that much experience with launching either. my car likes to get sideways on me when i warm the tires up, i guess there's no way to avoid it though.
    Yea, I love an M6 for a car that is mostly used on the street, but for the track Auto is the way to go! I've actually never owned any vehicle that wasn't manual. My car gets sideways as well, I dunno, maybe sfc's and suspension work would help.

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

well it just gets sideways for that split second inbetween putting your foot from the clutch to the brake.
    either way let me know what you run cuz i'm not to far behind ya.lol

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Yea, I love an M6 for a car that is mostly used on the street, but for the track Auto is the way to go! I've actually never owned any vehicle that wasn't manual. My car gets sideways as well, I dunno, maybe sfc's and suspension work would help.
    That's my problem too: my car always gets sideways on me...I'm guessing SFCs would help but, other than that, don't really know what to do...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

well it just gets sideways for that split second inbetween putting your foot from the clutch to the brake.
    either way let me know what you run cuz i'm not to far behind ya.lol
    Well actually, you should be way ahead of me cause I'm selling my cam due to unforseen financial circumstances, which sucks, cause I got it for so cheap :-( If I can get a good 60 ft. I'm hopin to get a 12.99 lol. That would be awesome, but not very likely for my first time.

Just got my LT's today and just deciding on weather or not I'm gonna run dumps until I can afford to go over/under the axle, or just go ORY. I'm sure 12's will be more likely then...

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Well actually, you should be way ahead of me cause I'm selling my cam due to unforseen financial circumstances, which sucks, cause I got it for so cheap :-( If I can get a good 60 ft. I'm hopin to get a 12.99 lol. That would be awesome, but not very likely for my first time.

Just got my LT's today and just deciding on weather or not I'm gonna run dumps until I can afford to go over/under the axle, or just go ORY. I'm sure 12's will be more likely then...
    man don't get rid of the cam you will definately regret it. if i was you, and was in a financial jam send those lt's back and get a cheaper set. i got the heddman headers non coated with the ory for 365.00. i know they aren't the best headers but i have had no problems with them whatsoever and are perfect if your on a budget. trust me, when you start that car up for the first time after you get the cam in it will be like sex to your ears. there is nothing like the sound of a cam loping, sometimes i'll start mine up just to listen to it lope and it puts a smile on my face every time. i wish i had some way to record it and post for ya cuz the specs of your cam are somewhat close to mine. trust me, it will make you feel like when you first bought your car again.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

man don't get rid of the cam you will definately regret it. if i was you, and was in a financial jam send those lt's back and get a cheaper set. i got the heddman headers non coated with the ory for 365.00. i know they aren't the best headers but i have had no problems with them whatsoever and are perfect if your on a budget. trust me, when you start that car up for the first time after you get the cam in it will be like sex to your ears. there is nothing like the sound of a cam loping, sometimes i'll start mine up just to listen to it lope and it puts a smile on my face every time. i wish i had some way to record it and post for ya cuz the specs of your cam are somewhat close to mine. trust me, it will make you feel like when you first bought your car again.
    Yea, but I also need the oil pump, lifters, gasket kit, etc etc...and I just don't have the moola for it now that this happened. The lt's I bought are the ebay cheapos...ssautochromes, for $240 shipped to my door. I'm gonna have a friend knock down the driver collector and weld up the air fittings, then either go ory or td's dumped (for now). I know I'm gonna regret it, but if I wasn't speeding like a dumbass I would be installing the cam this weekend.

Trust me, I've lost sleep over it, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do... Either that, or I lose my license and my job. Ths is just the lesser of the 2 evils.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

I practiced my launch this morning. I was kinda surprised at how well it hooked up launching from about 2300-2500 rpm. I also have a brand new ls7 clutch kit and slave, so I'm sure it helps, but the start off wasn't too rocky, and I barely spun Hopefully the 10 bolt holds up

by the way, a guy blew the shit outta his ford 9" rear in an s10 on pinks last night!!! Wheel hop I know, but it was pretty much a full back half truck (ladder bar suspension etc).

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

well technically you could get away with the stock oil pump and lifters, you would just need a few gaskets. i just hate to see you get rid of it because i know you were pretty hyped on getting it in. open headers is going to be really loud.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

well technically you could get away with the stock oil pump and lifters, you would just need a few gaskets. i just hate to see you get rid of it because i know you were pretty hyped on getting it in. open headers is going to be really loud.
    I know, but if you're gonna play, you gotta be willing to pay. I'll keep it if you ca give me $650 for my lawyer, plus fines and court fees haha.

Thread Information