Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Removing A/C belt add any HP?

This is a discussion on Removing A/C belt add any HP? within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by shady milkman This is kind of true....but it is a well documented issue with ac compressors getting ...

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    This is kind of true....but it is a well documented issue with ac compressors getting screwed because they didn't shut down in time as I am pretty sure it is shutdown according to rpm. Also the small amount of turning at the track shouldn't be to bad...but once again I am a young buck:
    The A/C compressors shut down via throttle position from what I remember tinkering in HPtuner. I have both of my cars set to shut the A/C off at anything over 70%. And it doesn't come back on until throttle position reads 0%.

In the stock tune I believe the compressor is set to shut down at 90-95% throttle position, and back on at 0%.

Although the compressor is assentially off during WOT,,,there is still a slight amount of parasitic loss just from turning the pulley on the compressor even without the clutch engaged. Albiet a very slight amount though.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

.3 tenths!....you remember the mph?

Anyone else has tried this?

I have 275mm tires on the front, it might be a bitch huh...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wimp.........

The older I get the more I like my creature comforts...

FWIW, I've had my fair share of power nothing but the drivetrain cars. Armstrong steering (6 turns lock-to-lock) and manual drum brakes (they weigh less than disk brakes) are fun at over 100mph...

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post

The older I get the more I like my creature comforts...

FWIW, I've had my fair share of power nothing but the drivetrain cars. Armstrong steering (6 turns lock-to-lock) and manual drum brakes (they weigh less than disk brakes) are fun at over 100mph...
    Ya I know where you're coming from. I still have a couple of non power steer/manual drum brake cars here if you want to relive those days

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Ya I know where you're coming from. I still have a couple of non power steer/manual drum brake cars here if you want to relive those days
    for how much shit i give you old man i understand were you and 67 are coming from. already with my car i am wanted to pick up a more comfortable DD, like a g8 gt ..so i can have a good sound system, and a quiet cabin, and A/C, and a back seat and large trunk, and a smooth ride.

but none the less..you two are still old

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

I don't remember the MPH. But I'm almost certain is was something like .2 tenths on my friends 4th gen. If I had to guess, that would probably equate to about the same MPH give or take a little.

All I can tell you is try it and see what you come up with. You may or may not find much, or you may not like driving around the pits without power steering.

It's an old trick that goes way back when you could order cars without power steering. We used to take the belts off the power steering on the classic cars all the time while at the track. Talk about tough to steer. When you have a classic car with the so common "over assisted" power steering setups,,,then drive it without the belt I found that much harder than driving these 4th gens with a rack and pinion and no belt. Considering the power steering on a 4th gen even when working takes some effort to turn it anyway.

for how much shit i give you old man i understand were you and 67 are coming from. already with my car i am wanted to pick up a more comfortable DD, like a g8 gt ..so i can have a good sound system, and a quiet cabin, and A/C, and a back seat and large trunk, and a smooth ride.

It's all good

Just for the record. It's very common to see a full effort 4th gen completely remove the power steering setup in favor of a manual rack. Not only do you get rid of the parasitic drag on the engine, but it saves weight right over the nose where you need it on a drag car.

Of course the manual racks are valved/geared a bit differently to make life a little easier for you.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Just remember this whippersnapper: "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!"

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Just remember this whippersnapper: "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!"
    this is true

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I guess I'll check the price of the belt and see if it's worth it. I've gone without power steering in cars before, it's not a big deal once you get moving, well maybe in mine it will because the littlest bump throws me a ft off the road it seems like.

I guess I'll check the price of the belt and see if it's worth it. I've gone without power steering in cars before, it's not a big deal once you get moving, well maybe in mine it will because the littlest bump throws me a ft off the road it seems like.
    That bump steer you are feeling is common with these wide front tires that have most of the offset to the inside of the wheel. Nature of the beast.
    It's one reason I've never been a fan of the fat front tires on anything.

I don't remember the price of the belt, but they are relatively inexpensive. I find stuff like that worthwhile just for the fun of experimenting,,,even if it doesn't yield anything.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

After reading all this, I'm glad I ain't old yet. In the middle still LOL. Glad I'm not in my early 20s either.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    After reading all this, I'm glad I ain't old yet. In the middle still LOL. Glad I'm not in my early 20s either.
    Why? I miss my early 20s...

I got 275s to protect the rim a bit, but yea, it doesn't like to stay on the road unless I'm on a good flat highway.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

One thing about being my age: In my 20's (mid 70's to mid 80's) 60's and 70's muscle cars were for sale real cheap everywhere. The 1st (and especially the 2nd) gas "crisis" helped this along. I'll never again be able to buy a 40,xxx mile (all these cars were under 50K miles back then) SS396/TH400 Camaro for $800 or a 383/727/3.91 geared (manual steering and drum brakes, although 11" drum brakes - something the General should have tried) 67 Bacaruda (I know it's Baracuda but still) for $600 or a 69 SS396/TH400 (majorly optioned with PDB, AC, tach, gauges, etc) for $1095 or a 68 390/4-speed/4.11 geared Mustang GT fastback for $200 (major find there - it goes on and on).

Yeah I'm old but I've had some real good days along the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Glad I'm not in my early 20s either.

Amen to that. I feel sorry for all the youngins nowadays trying to make it out there. Even people in their 30's that aren't quite established yet are having a hard time. Economy sucks, house market is crap, and finding jobs out there???? Well good luck.

Naaa,,,I wouldn't want to be young and starting out either right now.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^For a lot of the reasons these guys said, is why I don't miss my early 20s.

Why? I miss my early 20s...

I got 275s to protect the rim a bit, but yea, it doesn't like to stay on the road unless I'm on a good flat highway.
    When I was 20 something, I didn't have a wife or kids, or as many toys as I do now, nor a house to keep them in. Yeah I was free to do whatever, but still, I like where I am now.

98' trans am

i like my early 20s just fine. nothing is sagging yet and my reflexes are just getting to their prime....however my wallet could use some help getting to its full potential

i like my early 20s just fine. nothing is sagging yet and my reflexes are just getting to their prime....however my wallet could use some help getting to its full potential
    Maybe we should refraise this...instead of just being young again scenario.

How about being young again in the late 60's or 70's. Now that I would go for

It's this day and age that scares me now more than anything.

98' trans am

How about being young again in the late 60's or 70's.
    for the cars hell yes..for the social climate for me in particular ..i may pass

anywho i will be picking up a short belt to try at the track...im going to do everything possible to get me a 13 flat or a 12.9

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information