Pass. side airbag, and rear brakes questions

This is a discussion on Pass. side airbag, and rear brakes questions within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; 1. Has anyone removed the passenger side airbag from there cars? 93-97 (if different from 98+s). If so, does it ...

Pass. side airbag, and rear brakes questions

1. Has anyone removed the passenger side airbag from there cars? 93-97 (if different from 98+s). If so, does it leave a whole in place of where it was, or is it possible to put it back together, and not even know that it has been removed. Also, does this cause any problems as far as throwing a code, or bringing up a light?

2. Does anyone know what that big rubber piece is on your rear brakes? I was looking at it a while back, and I can't possibly figure out what it could be for??? Has anyone removed this, or is it better to just go w/a complete lightweight rear setup from wilwood or something?

9.62/140

Just pulled the pass airbag out of my 98, doubt it's any different from an LT1 car, had to remove the dash from the car to get to it but there will be no sign it's missing when it's put back together.

You removed the entire dash? Isn't that kind of a long process? Isn't there any way to remove it w/o removing the entire dash?

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

You can try getting it out through the glove box opening, otherwise take the dash out. Its not that hard just a little time consuming. Why do you want to take it out anyway?

I saw that it - along w/the bracket? - weighs about 14 pounds under the list of weights for our cars. So I figured it may be a good idea to eliminate that, it's not like I'd ever plan on driving too hard w/my wife in the car...

Oh, did you have to take the entire dash out, or does it come out in sections?

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

the dash is one piece

Do you know if it requires the removal of the large plastic piece that sits on the top, and extends to the windshield? I think I can figure it out from there, but I know how easy it is to break that piece...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by hot93rod View Post
    I saw that it - along w/the bracket? - weighs about 14 pounds under the list of weights for our cars. So I figured it may be a good idea to eliminate that, it's not like I'd ever plan on driving too hard w/my wife in the car...
    so ur gonna endanger ur wife to save 14lbs...... thats messed up man..... unless those 3 "..." at the end mean ur kidding lol

Red
    99 Firehawk (M6) #518

Do you know if it requires the removal of the large plastic piece that sits on the top, and extends to the windshield? I think I can figure it out from there, but I know how easy it is to break that piece...
    Yes, the plastic piece needs to be removed - just take it easy and you'll get it out in one piece

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so ur gonna endanger ur wife to save 14lbs...... thats messed up man..... unless those 3 "..." at the end mean ur kidding lol
    Yeah, very funny, just make me feel bad now because she rides in the car an average of 1.5 times a month, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blownh2x View Post
    Yes, the plastic piece needs to be removed - just take it easy and you'll get it out in one piece
    Ok, thanks for your help... I will probably start project-"disaster" sometime in mid february.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Yeah, very funny, just make me feel bad now because she rides in the car an average of 1.5 times a month, lol.
    i really dont know wat to think haha. tough decision but i see wat ur saying about the once a month.

Ok, the airbag is completely out, but I failed to realize the car will not start w/o it being completely plugged in, so it is currently sitting on the p/s floor... What do I have to do to disable it where the computer does not read it? Is there a less costly way than taking it into a tune shop just to have the p/s airbag deleted?

Thread Information