Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No traction

Dayak

No traction

Hello
    I have a 98 trans am 6 speed manuel tranny 411 posi. I had the engine rebuilt and stroked with cam now I cannot get any traction. Even with drag radials on the track I turn them badly. what would be the best thing to do to get hooked up..I have even tried to pull off the line slowly then hit the gas and it will still turn them.

Ratdaddy07
    Somebody please, I am dying to know as well.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Do you have any suspension upgrades? LCAs? Torque arm or panhard rod?

Ratdaddy07
    I don't, what would you suggest first and what exactly do they do?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Taken from Mrr23s sticky in the suspension section:

TRAILING ARMS - Some call them rear LCAs. These also help to keep the rear from rotating upward. Stock are stamped steel flimsy things. Some come with spherical rod ends. While this may be the best way to go as there is no rubber type mounts to flex from, they transfer all noises as they are metal. Also, over time, using the spherical rod ends on the street will wear out relatively quick due to dirt and such getting in them. Some are adjustable. What this does is help you to make sure the rear is pointed straight with the centerline of the car. If the rear is point left/right, the car will dog leg to that direction.

TORQUE ARM - This controls the rear from twisting upwards. Acting like a traction bar, it takes this upward movement and uses it to push down on the tires. This improves traction during acceleration. Stock one is made out of stamped steel and flimsy.

The lower panhard rod is to keep the rear centered as the car corners, lifts, lowers, etc... They come in non-adjustable and adjustable versions. If you lower the car, definately get the adjustable. Even not lowered, you can benefit from the adjustable one. The rear ends aren't centered perfectly from the factory.

There is much more information to be had here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9487
    and here although I don't agree with the order he has things in, he has info on the suspension parts that is helpful also:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1844

'99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70562

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

nice post

Ratdaddy07
    Thanks that helps.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

You've got a cammed stroker ... supension is just part of your solution. DRs aren't going to cut it anymore. And if you didn't upgrade to a 12 bolt or a 9 inch neither is your rearend.

Dayak

Rear end

Newly rebuilt 12 bolt posi 4:11

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Dayak
    Newly rebuilt 12 bolt posi 4:11
    Then get some 15 wheels, slap some slicks on that bitch and make an appointment with a chiropracter ...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by MysticZ28
    Then get some 15 wheels, slap some slicks on that bitch and make an appointment with a chiropracter ...
    he still needs suspension. <----------that's a period at the end of that sentence

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    he still needs suspension. <----------that's a period at the end of that sentence
    That's a capital at the beggining of this sentence ----->If he has any idea how to launch, a properly set up and tuned suspension might gain him tenth. Good tires are going to be worth 2 to 3 tenths, particularly with the power he should be putting down with a cammed stroker ... <-------- Herb Caen school of 3 dot journalism ...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

People with less power than him are breaking torque arms, people with as much power as him are screwing up LCAs. He has a 12 bolt with 4.11s and gobs of power, and you think he needs to just slap slicks on it and run the hell out of it? He NEEDS suspension. Slicks are asking for trouble. Suspension first.

Dayak, do you even have subframe connectors yet?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'm not just trying to be a jerk and argue. You need to prepare a car for the stress that slicks and that much power are going to put on it

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i want slicks...

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    People with less power than him are breaking torque arms, people with as much power as him are screwing up LCAs. He has a 12 bolt with 4.11s and gobs of power, and you think he needs to just slap slicks on it and run the hell out of it? He NEEDS suspension. Slicks are asking for trouble. Suspension first.

Dayak, do you even have subframe connectors yet?
    Now you're talking apples and oranges .... Suspension mods for traction or suspension mods to keep from breaking?

If he's taken the time to put in a 12 bolt, I would suspect that he has done the rudimentry suspension mods. As far as breaking, now that he has a 12 bolt, he's more likely to lose the clutch, if he hasn't upgraded, than a stock torque arm.

Tires are going to be his biggest bang ... but if he is going to get serious and consistant, he has shit load of work and learning to do. He has to do sway bars - lose the front/beef up the back, shocks and probably airbags, then he has to learn how to tune them all in and how to tweek it for track conditions.

Ratdaddy07
    The guy who is doing my motor work right now has none of those things. Running high tens on motor and high nines on bottle with Mosler rear-end and slicks thats all. Green LT1 TA, will be in the next issue of GM high tech performance magazine in the budget car article.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

15 inch rims and some slicks will take care of the problem. if you break something... Upgrade it.

I do have drag springs on the four corners, an airbag on the right rear, and 90-10s up front and long ago removed the front sway bar. However I still have the stock torque arm but am planning on replacing it in the near future.

Bear in mind my car has about 4500 passes on it and I said stock torque arm...

The first thing to change are rims and tires. I would probably recommend ET streets on some 15 in rims. Unless the tires hook you can't figure out what else you need and you can waste a lot of money on suspension components trying to hook up with tires that are not adequate.

No matter what you do you will want tires and rims so get something appropriate. Also, make sure you have a driveshaft loop and that your u-joints are new. I have seen many people screw things up becasue of a cracked u-joint or some other ten dollar part...
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

4500 passes really?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Well, since no one has mentioned it, coil over shocks help out alot from what i've read. QA1 is suppose to make a relatively cost effective kit.

The other mods are already mentioned. I think some air bags would help too.

Thread Information