Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 WS6 Convertable Auto

Smile New Member Got 3.73s Installed Today

Hey everyone, First post on the Site.

Got a 99 WS6 Convertable Automatic about 6 months ago. I think the previous owner use to Autocross it. Its slammed to the ground, Loud Mouth dual tip stainless, with 2.73gears. First Time I took it to the track it pull 13.9@102.5 with bad traction. Me and the car weigh 3800lbs. I'm fat and looks like the convertable is too.

It had two different sized tires on the back of it when I got it and put on some very used Comp T/A tires. Did all the free mods, Lid, Pulled the M.A.F. screen out, and got a ported TB. Couldn't believe what that did to it, pulled a 13.45@105.5 with a 2.05 sixty foot. But killed the rest of the tires doing it.

Few months later, it got a tune from a programmer I got on the eBay for $40, smooth bellow, JAAM ram air kit. Big difference again, but the tires couldn't handle all the new low end torque the programmer gave it. 2.25 sixty getting 13.6@107.5.

And lastly got 3.73 and some brand new E.T. Streets!! The gears were installed today, and will get the tires on tomorrow.

Hoping to see a 12.7-12.8@108-109 next Wednesday. Am I thinking clearly?????

I was a die hard MOPAR man, but owning an LS1 for a while, I must admit I'm very proud of the old Bird.

Wish I would have found this site a long time ago. Great Site.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

Good run

I just tried my 99 TA completely stock ran a 13.8 at 102.5 mph I am looking at doing the same thing and putting 3:73 let me know the difference

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I think your goal will be met, or close to it....granted those ET's don't make that 10-bolt rear end puke its guts out all over the track...Be careful...

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I think your goal will be met, or close to it....granted those ET's don't make that 10-bolt rear end puke its guts out all over the track...Be careful...

I've been told by several folks about the rears breaking pretty easy. Right now I have a broken mount on the end of the torque arm. I'll need to fix that before I tear up the launch pad.

I've got to play around with the 3.73s today, and there is no doubt it will be faster in the quarter mile. Reaching 108 or 109MPH will be a piece of cake. Hooking a 1.7 or 1.8 sixty foot is not going to be a problem either. Those gears and tires really did something to the car. I'll be getting my first warning for not having a roll bar in the convertable next time out. Our track will allow 13.5 in a convertable without a bar.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by MountainSledder View Post
    I've been told by several folks about the rears breaking pretty easy. Right now I have a broken mount on the end of the torque arm. I'll need to fix that before I tear up the launch pad.

I've got to play around with the 3.73s today, and there is no doubt it will be faster in the quarter mile. Reaching 108 or 109MPH will be a piece of cake. Hooking a 1.7 or 1.8 sixty foot is not going to be a problem either. Those gears and tires really did something to the car. I'll be getting my first warning for not having a roll bar in the convertable next time out. Our track will allow 13.5 in a convertable without a bar.
    Well, whatever you do, don't buy an aftermarket torque arm (unless you already have) unless you're ready for a new rear and/or tailshaft...ask Z28Thunder about that one...he ran his stock 10-bolt I believe all the way into the low 12's high 11's...the first pass after the new torque arm, never made it off the starting line, BOOM...I think I have that story correct. Tom will chime in if he sees this.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I just tried my 99 TA completely stock ran a 13.8 at 102.5 mph I am looking at doing the same thing and putting 3:73 let me know the difference
    Summit said I'd get the bushing part in two days. So I should be ready to go on next Wednesday Night Fun Drags. I'll have to run with a 13.5 as a convertible, but will give her hell when it cools off a bit, and bust out if I feel a hard hook on the launch. We usually get about ten runs in, if there early for tech check. Track usually closes down around 9PM.

I'm hoping the fluttering sound it just started making on hard shifts goes away with the new bushing. If not, it will be a while before I race again. Spent a lot of cash on gears, tires and miscellaneous. Little broke at the moment, for a transmission fix and upgrade. I'll be looking to all you guys for advice when it comes to that.

Black

COOL

I'm anxious to see what you will be running and how much faster it is

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Start saveing for headers and a stall and a real tune then 12 second runs all day

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    those tires are deadly, i love em. and he has an auto so it's not as bad.

guys with manuals tend to slap the diffs around more

Black

I'm anxious to see what you will be running and how much faster it is
    Installed the bushing last night. I'll find out tomorrow.

Only bad thing is the last time out it was only 70 degrees, tomorrow its suppose to be 97. Probably 100+ on the black top.

Should make for a good test.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

Yikes, that temp will make it pretty tough to plant with the new gears. I got 3.90's installed and I'm still learning how to keep the tires down on the street!

Black

rIGHT ON

Installed the bushing last night. I'll find out tomorrow.

Only bad thing is the last time out it was only 70 degrees, tomorrow its suppose to be 97. Probably 100+ on the black top.

Should make for a good test.

hOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU I just priced it out here and it will cost me 700 installed for the 3:73 swap I'm not decided if I'll spend the money but I syre want to have the seat of my pants pull I wonder if it will hook????? I'm an auto as well

Black

hOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU I just priced it out here and it will cost me 700 installed for the 3:73 swap I'm not decided if I'll spend the money but I syre want to have the seat of my pants pull I wonder if it will hook????? I'm an auto as well
    I got the gears from Summit for $200 and paid $300 for the install which included everything. $500 out the door for me, it included oil, gasket, etc... Had 2 guys bidding against each other.

I will definately come back and give you an update. I searched the web hard to see what the difference would be between 273 and 373 and could not find a solid trend either.

One thing for sure, YOU WILL NEED GOOD TIRES so its going to cost you even more money to get some drag dots or drag radios if you want a good sixty foot.

Black

Tires are new but ...

I got the gears from Summit for $200 and paid $300 for the install which included everything. $500 out the door for me, it included oil, gasket, etc... Had 2 guys bidding against each other.

I will definately come back and give you an update. I searched the web hard to see what the difference would be between 273 and 373 and could not find a solid trend either.

One thing for sure, YOU WILL NEED GOOD TIRES so its going to cost you even more money to get some drag dots or drag radios if you want a good sixty foot.

I have 18's in the back but only 245/40/18 recommended by my tire guy. It hooks no problem with my 3:23 gears so maybe I'll be lucky. I guess your not hooking at all hein? Canadian hein?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I would have done a stall before gears.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black

Not a good outing.

It was 99 degrees and the car pulled 107MPH same as it did with 273 in 70 degrees. Did not gain speed but didn't lose any in the heat.

First run I had 30lbs in the tires and fish tailed the E/T street half way down the track.
    Sixty Foot was 2.04. I must have made a big mistake setting up the tire height and gears into the programmer. It kept getting hung up in the rev limit. It would litterally bounce between 6000 and 6200 three times before shifting. The speedo was 8MPH slow in the traps. Was reading 99 but actually doing 107. First run got 13.5, very disapointed. But it was right at the limit for a Convertable so I left the tire pressure alone for a while. I won the first two runs in the hot heat all times were 13.5 and leaving 50 yards of smoke down the strip. Third run I red lighted, so while in the loser lane I drop the tire pressure down to 15. While doing the burn out, the back end of the car started bouncing really bad so I gave it full throttle and let go of the break hoping it would smooth out, the front of the car came way up but was still bouncing while going forward. Long story short, I broke something. When I pulled up to stage there was a very loud metalic CLANK! when I came to a stop. Pulled a 22 second 1/4 mile and left for home. Had to listen to that loud metalic clank at every stop sign and light.

Either I install the new torque bushing wrong or the tranny needs a band-aid . I'll be driving the Durango till I feel like looking at it.

Sorry to disappoint those looking to see what the difference would be. Story of my life it seems.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

well let us know what happened

Black

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'll look at the car tonight, but the shifting problem was really bugging me today as well.

I’m 99% sure I put 26.5” tall tires, which is correct.

So I must have inadvertently set them to 3.42 instead of 3.73.

That would make my speedometer read 9% slow.

So it was trying to shift into 2nd gear at 45MPH, but hit the Rev-limit at 41MPH. It would try to shift into 3rd at 85MPH but started to over rev at 78MPH.

I don’t see myself making that big of a mistake but that’s the only thing I can think of.

That is how it works right?? The PCM is looking for a MPH to shift at instead of an RPM right?

Black

Sorry to hear

Man makes me scared I drive a Durango as a second vehicle as well. Mine has the Hemi with 3:92 gears awd I wonder IF I break 15 seconds with it I bet I do. Anyway I don't think I'll do the gears this year I'll wait for next spring and collect some cash over the winter. Hope it's nothing major 13.5 is still pretty good considering the way it was working you should be close to 13.2 then

Black

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post

I got lucky, no real damage. The torque arm must have went forward a few inches during the wheel hoping. Bushing slid up the torque bar and popped out of the carrier while the bar was on it way back.

The carrier was all bent up, so I removed it and reformed it to fit the bushing. I should have done that the first time. Didn't hurt the bushing, so its all back together now.

The shifting problem was the tire height, It was set to 25.5". Those tires are 27.25" tall, even though M/T says they are 26.5. I have 10" rims, I wonder if that is causing a problem. Recommend rim says 11".

Its the last one on the list.
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...?item=ETStreet

Shifts great now. Shifts at 6000 instantly. Me and 3 other friends are heading back out there on July 1st. Probably 105 to 110 degree weather.

Thread Information