Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Need Help !!! Horrible 1st 1/4 mile runs

OK.....today was the very first time for me and my car at the track today. I have to say I was very disappointed. My mods are in my sig and my drivetrain is completely stock. I did not use the NOS at all so heres what I need help with. The elevation was 1230' , 77 degress with 75 percent humidity. I made 4 passes and here are the results

1. R/T .656
    60' 2.333
    1/8 9.540 @ 78.14
    1/4 14.450 @ 102.39

2. RT .551
    60' 2.316
    1/8 9.430 @ 78.30
    1/4 14.330 @ 100.45

3. RT .582
    60' 2.349
    1/8 9.579 @ 77.55
    1/4 14.519 @ 99.63

4. RT .699
    60' 2.274
    1/8 9.512 @ 77.62
    1/4 14.459 @ 100.33

These times I know are terrible....but why? My car came with the 16" wheels with 245/50/16 tires and I put 18" 275/35/18 tires on.....does this come into factor? Plus......my car has not been dyno'd and tuned at all yet, which I know I should do really bad. It seemed my launches were solid with little tire spin (Kumho street tires). I was launching at 1500-2000 rpms. Could someone give me some direction on this one? Thanks in advance
    98 Trans Am A4, Pacesetter LT's, TSP True Duals, !Air, !EGR, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter, FRA mod, Granatelli MAF calibrated for NOS, Z06 FRC's (Custom Painted Trans AM), NGK TR6's, NOS 150 shot, MSD 8.5mm wires, MSD window switch, SLP Ram Air HO hood, Clarion DXZ835MP, 18x9.5 Y2K wrapped in Kumhos's, BMR Strut tower brace, R1 Concepts Cross drilled rotors, Hawk HPS brake pads, Katech solid tensioner

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Your 60's are way to high. Get them below 2.0

My guess with the stock converter, your are bogging off the line. Get a converter with at least a 3000 stall and some sticky tires.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

hugger orange

ouch!!

with those mods listed in your sig you should still be running 13.0-13.4 even at that elevation and with that horrible 60ft time. i assume you were spraying? if you were then you have some bugs to work out.

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

That was without spray....I figured if I was running that bad it was a waste to spray until I find out what the problem is. Somebody else suggested that its possible that the Granatelli MAF that is calibrated for the NOS 5177 system I have may be the culprit. I am going to try and put the factory MAF back on and see what happens

hugger orange

yes that could be some of it. but lets see... was you running race gas? did you make sure you didnt let off before you crossed the finished line (common mistake for first timers) the reason i ask that is your mph was way low my wifes 2000 has 90000+ miles on it and has never trapped less than 104 on street tires and it is bone stock nothing has been done to it! and we race at about 900ft. there is something definitely not right and i think it has to do with more than just the maf.....

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

no race gas......I was making sure I was going all the way through to the end before letting off the gas. I ordered the factory MAF and will be putting it on this week......

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by squirrly View Post
    no race gas......I was making sure I was going all the way through to the end before letting off the gas. I ordered the factory MAF and will be putting it on this week......
    Yes, the aftermarket SLP or Granatelli MAF's will cause it to go lean a little at high RPM's. You may have noticed a little spark knock at high rpm? Thats your problem.

You just need some practice on those launches...get that 60' below 1.8 with those mods.

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

This may seem like a no brainer but I'll ask anyway......could a header leak contribute to my slow times? I do notice that my car seems to have a really bad "gas/fume" smell all the time. Could it be that the Granatelli MAF is making it run too rich? In any case....the stock MAF is going on this week and going to run my car again Friday night

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Those 18" wheels aren't helping any ... Did you remove drivers side carpet mat?

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

LOL....nah, thats what it was...I removed the passengers side mat but not the drivers side...damnit !!!! I didnt figure the 18's were helping.....I'm leaning towards the Granatelli MAF....stock MAF and new TR'6s are going in this week

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

LOL....nah, thats what it was...I removed the passengers side mat but not the drivers side...damnit !!!! I didnt figure the 18's were helping.....I'm leaning towards the Granatelli MAF....stock MAF and new TR'6s are going in this week
    I don't know if you are being facitous or not ... but the floor mat is a common rookie mistake ... it bunches up under the pedal and keeps it from going all the way.

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

My bad......no disrespect meant nor was I trying to be a smartass. I thought you were referring to cutting weight ever way possible...haha. . I have never heard of that sorry. I will do that for this coming weekend for sure though so thanks for the heads up !!!!! Its amazing how much you learn your first time at track with only a few runs. Thanks again

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

My bad......no disrespect meant nor was I trying to be a smartass. I thought you were referring to cutting weight ever way possible...haha. . I have never heard of that sorry. I will do that for this coming weekend for sure though so thanks for the heads up !!!!! Its amazing how much you learn your first time at track with only a few runs. Thanks again
    No biggie ... but first time to the track, you gotta get the basics covered first. First ditch that Granitelli MAF, even if it wasn't calibrated for NO2, it isn't going to do you much good and is likely costing you.

Basics - dump your spare tire, 1/4 tank gas, ASR off. Run in Drive not Over Drive - do not manually shift. Don't go through the water box - unless the track is set up so you have no choice, spin the your tires quickly to clean them, but don't do a big burn out.

You're screwed on your wheel/tire set up until you decide you're serious enough to invest in a set of wheels/tires for the track only - and that is probably costing you 2-4 tenths until you do. In the mean time, drop the pressure in the rear tires to about 20lb and max the pressure in the front.

When you're at the line, preload your converter to about 1200 rpm, then at the light, roll into the throttle.

At this point the STB isn't hurting you, but as you get consistant you'll want to remove it. It's dead weight on the front of the car and by design it will inhibit the front end from unloading.

Good Luck

Torch Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I agree with the MAF....I did actually remove the jack and spare tire and I had just over 1/4 tank for the day. I hear you about the tires too.....I knew that was going to be a big no no but like you said, I'll get more serious and get a real set to drag with. THANKS for all the advice.....its guys like you that make newbies like me get to enjoy a little of this. I'll keep you up to date after I change this damn piece of shit expensive paperweight Granatelli MAF out this week. I just check my plugs too to make sure they weren't fouled because I thought maybe since it seems to be running rich I would change them after I put my stock MAF back on but they look fine as far as I can see....tan color. Thanks agian...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

You just need more practice. After I got all the mods in my car I did worse that when It was stock because I was not used to the power. A little more practice and you'll be running 13's in no time.

Thread Information