black
    1959 Apache

Narrowed rear end

I am building a 1959 Apache street rod with an LS engine. I want to put beefy street/strip tires on the back using my existing 9" ford rear end. I would like it to look very similar to a promod in the rear with tire-center section-tire being just about all you can see except for the coil springs. Currently the rear is a standard width with "normal" sized tires, wheels, and fender wells. I know I will need to modify the fender wells for wider tires as well as some frame rail/mount mods, but will I have to narrow the rear end housing? It seems to me that the proper offset rim will get the tire under the truck. I know why high powered drag cars use the narrowed rear, because it makes for shorter, stronger axles. Is this necessary in a street rod with just moderate power if I am wanting that same look? Why would one narrow a street car's rear if he were going to order custom wheels anyway? What is the purpose? Maybe I cannot get offsets that high, I just don't know. I'm really asking "why narrow a street rod?" Thanks for your help.

I dont think you can get offsets near high enough to achieve what your looking to do. It may really weaken the wheel to have all the weight that far out past the center of the rim.......

Thread Information