Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 WS6 Convertable Auto

Are my shocks and springs killing my 60 foot

My car is dropped about as low as you can go and looks like it may have after market springs. And has really stiff after market shocks on it too. Would that kill my 60' times? And if so, what is everyones thoughts on how to fix this without spending a lot of money.

I'm new to the F-Body LS1 cars, and don't know a lot about car setup. Every time I start to think I know something about drag racing, I find myself not knowing much at all. So if you've been down the road of hard knocks, please help me out and getting the car to pull 1.7s like I should be.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Might need to get LCA relocation brackets, if you don't already have them.

Black
    99 WS6

what all mods do you have done to your car?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
    Moser rear w/ 4.10 gears, adjustable control arms, panhard bar, anti-roll bar that replaces the rear sway bar, LCA relocation brackets, 8 way adjustable rear shocks, stock rear coil springs, QA-1 8-way front shocks & coils, extreme duty torque arm, and wheelie wheels !!!
    That's what's under the car !!! LOL
    Look at your control arms, and they should be higher in the front, pointing towards the crankshaft of the motor. If they are pointing down towards the bottom of the front tires or road, you need the LCA brackets to lower the rear of them ( on the rear housing ) to get the correct angle.

White
    1998 Trans Am

After I typed all that, I just noticed that it wasn't the origonal poster asking me a question... LOL !!!

Black

M/T E.T. Streets, 3.73's A4, Comp Cam Programmer set to Firm Shift & HiPo shifting with Engine set to High Performance Mode #2, TB water by pass, Romoved MASS A/F screen, removed tube from intake openning, Ported TB, Bellow, LID, JAAM Full Ram Air Package, Expensive spark plugs, 160 stat, Y-Pipe, SLP Loud Mouth Cat Back.

Pretty much like everyone else minus a torque converter.

Me and the car weigh about 3800 and she can pull 109+ in 115 degree air.
    I was pulling 2.0x when the car was stock with crap tires and pulling 102MPH in cool air.

Best ET with the M/T's and Gears is 13.25 with a 2.08 six at 109MPH. Traction in 1st and going into 2nd is non-exsistant. If I lower the pressure to much, she wheel hops too much.

I'll be ordering the LCA relocation brackets this week. That mod makes a ton of sense.

The car goes into a really bad fish tail shifting from 1st to 2nd, do you think these brackets will help out with that too.

White
    1998 Trans Am

It should help a lot. Sounds like you need more air in the tires too. Maybe around 14.5 - 16 lb's... I personally like the M/T Drag Radials, at 21 lb's... I average a 1.42-60' and my best was a 1.36 with cold air ! That's the one that needed wheelie wheels...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Another track advise, when you roll through the water, don't spin the tires. Just go through & get them wet, not slinging water into the wheel wells. 1'rst burn out, hard, then there after, moderate. And no dry hopping after the burnout. Just stage.

1998 Z-28 A4

Hey Bill I have a 98 stock z-28 Im wanting to do some suspension. What will I need to make me hook better. I kno I will need SFC's. I want to replace the shocks and struts because the car is 11 years old what would be a good set for street/strip? I will also drive the car daily.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by HitManLs1 View Post
    Hey Bill I have a 98 stock z-28 Im wanting to do some suspension. What will I need to make me hook better. I kno I will need SFC's. I want to replace the shocks and struts because the car is 11 years old what would be a good set for street/strip? I will also drive the car daily.
    I'm a bargain shopper !!! ( EBay )
    As you look for control arms, and panhard bar, get the ones with the poly bushings. Mine are solid... You want to upgrade the torque arm also. I use to have to sets of rear wheels & tires. Strret / Strip

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by MountainSledder View Post
    M/T E.T. Streets, 3.73's A4, Comp Cam Programmer set to Firm Shift & HiPo shifting with Engine set to High Performance Mode #2, TB water by pass, Romoved MASS A/F screen, removed tube from intake openning, Ported TB, Bellow, LID, JAAM Full Ram Air Package, Expensive spark plugs, 160 stat, Y-Pipe, SLP Loud Mouth Cat Back.

Pretty much like everyone else minus a torque converter.

Me and the car weigh about 3800 and she can pull 109+ in 115 degree air.
    I was pulling 2.0x when the car was stock with crap tires and pulling 102MPH in cool air.

Best ET with the M/T's and Gears is 13.25 with a 2.08 six at 109MPH. Traction in 1st and going into 2nd is non-exsistant. If I lower the pressure to much, she wheel hops too much.

I'll be ordering the LCA relocation brackets this week. That mod makes a ton of sense.

The car goes into a really bad fish tail shifting from 1st to 2nd, do you think these brackets will help out with that too.

i'm surprisd you cant get traction with the e\t streets---- i put a set on my 02 ws6 6 speed and i almost cant even spin them. to quote a chinese friend of mine sum ting wong...

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I have pulled 1.5 sixty foot times consistently with the Eibach drag launch kit, plus 90/10s in the front and stock springs in the rear. I am on ET Streets running generally 14.5-15 pounds in them. I can hook on just about anything.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    i'm surprisd you cant get traction with the e\t streets---- i put a set on my 02 ws6 6 speed and i almost cant even spin them. to quote a chinese friend of mine sum ting wong...

Your surprised? I was nearly heart broken. I though 12s would be a piece of cake with E.T.'s and gears. I've broken the torque arm bushing twice now. So I'm going to hold off dragging till I get the relocation brackets on. So something is definitely wrong. I hope I won't have to spend more money on springs, shocks and everything else. I'd be happy with a car that occationally pulled off an 11.95 once in a while. I don't have that kind of power yet, but probably by this time next year.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I use to get a violent wheel shake, then I did the LCA relo brackets, & never again !!!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    Yea, suspension tuning is needed to get a car with power to hook right. I remember the first night i had the supra to the track on the 517whp tune. I had 275 m/ts and once the turbo started to spool i would blow the tires right off, i had 2.5-2.8 60fts that whole night, trapping 130mph was fun though and made my night.

black trans am

bill u know i have the lcas and stuff but i still have realy bad wheel hop lol... matter of fack it pushes me over the line at times....

Black

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    Look at your control arms, and they should be higher in the front, pointing towards the crankshaft of the motor. If they are pointing down towards the bottom of the front tires or road, you need the LCA brackets to lower the rear of them ( on the rear housing ) to get the correct angle.
    bills98ta,

You nailed it right on the head. They are pointing at the bottom of the front tires. I'll put the brackets on this weekend and will go for the 12's next Wednesday. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Found a lot of information on what's under the car as a result of this as well. Too bad all those goodies are going to cost money some day.

Also, I plan on putting some low cost air bags in the rear springs to lift and stiffen it up a bit more. Would that be heading down the right path? At least for the first stages till I save up some more money?

White
    1998 Trans Am

When you get the air bags, keep them seperate, with two valve stems. ( I mounted the stems in the bottom liscence plate holes ) At the track, I ran 8lb in the left, & 45lb in the right. Now I have a drag / anti roll bar !!!

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    bill u know i have the lcas and stuff but i still have realy bad wheel hop lol... matter of fack it pushes me over the line at times....
    I missed this reply... Mark was behind you when you launched & said your rear looked like it was jumping sideways ??? We might want to check your pan hard bar, or something is loose...

black trans am

umm yeah every thing is tight.. and i think its flexing time to finsh making the one i started

Thread Information