Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My first time at the track

This is a discussion on My first time at the track within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones If you have a chatter or vibration you could have an issue somewhere. Hard to say. ...

2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you have a chatter or vibration you could have an issue somewhere. Hard to say.

I just didn't see anything unusual out of the passes you posted. Your MPH coincides with your ET and your 60 foot times. 13.24 at 105.64 with a 2.08 60 foot is about right on the money.
    Healthy MPH for an auto with just a catback exhaust. Even if the DA was average.
    Considering you mentioned another LS1 was a car back, and by the end of the track pulled up to your fender sounds about right since he trapped over 106 mph. You simply won with a better 60 foot time.

If it makes ya feel any better, my 02 SS vert bone stock only ran 13.70 at 102 mph. After a mild tune and long tube headers it went 13.20's at 106 mph. A stall got me in the 12's on stock rubber with no other changes.

You have yourself a 12 second car easily, put a stall in it and you are there. A good tune will also go a long way. I'll bet you'll find another couple mph in the car.
    That's cool then. I guess I need to stop being greedy.

The other LS1 had a 2.096 60 ft. I don't know if it was a stick or not though.

That's pretty sweet for a vert. How much more do those weigh on average?

Quote Originally Posted by 02pewterws6 View Post
    That's cool then. I guess I need to stop being greedy.

The other LS1 had a 2.096 60 ft. I don't know if it was a stick or not though.

That's pretty sweet for a vert. How much more do those weigh on average?
    About 60 lbs. is all the difference. Not enough to see at the track.

My 02 SS vert with the auto is 3,620 lbs.

My 00 SS T-top with a 6 speed is 3,560 lbs.

Both cars are optioned identical with 12 disc changers, same power accessories etc....with the only difference being the transmission. And I'd say that auto is heavier to begin with after having both transmissions out of both cars. If the vert had a 6 speed I think it would shave a few more pounds.

Just not that much to worry about.

About 60 lbs. is all the difference. Not enough to see at the track.

My 02 SS vert with the auto is 3,620 lbs.

My 00 SS T-top with a 6 speed is 3,560 lbs.

Both cars are optioned identical with 12 disc changers, same power accessories etc....with the only difference being the transmission. And I'd say that auto is heavier to begin with after having both transmissions out of both cars. If the vert had a 6 speed I think it would shave a few more pounds.

Just not that much to worry about.
    Yeah I would have thought it would be a lot more. Especially the way some people talk.

Ya it's a typical stereotype from the 50's and 60's. Back then verts were alot heavier due to their "X" style frames and such.

Nowadays the difference just isn't there. Certainly not enough to warrant basing a purchasing decision from it.

I've had a few of these 4th gens in verts. My 97 Z 6-speed vert which had a cast iron block, and a steel hood, only weighed 3,520 lbs. It was lighter than my current T-top 6speed car with an aluminum block and a fiberglass hood.

They were all weighed on the same scale too.

Ya it's a typical stereotype from the 50's and 60's. Back then verts were alot heavier due to their "X" style frames and such.

Nowadays the difference just isn't there. Certainly not enough to warrant basing a purchasing decision from it.

I've had a few of these 4th gens in verts. My 97 Z 6-speed vert which had a cast iron block, and a steel hood, only weighed 3,520 lbs. It was lighter than my current T-top 6speed car with an aluminum block and a fiberglass hood.

They were all weighed on the same scale too.
    That is very interesting. I would consider purchasing one knowing that.

I want to say that when I weighed mine the first time I went to the track it was around 1520 also. I wonder how much gas you had in your current T-top SS when you weighed. I probably had around a quarter of a tank.

I keep records of that which is kept in the car, (wife drove it to work today) but I want to say I had 1/2 tank in the T-top car when I weighed it.

That's generally what I have in most of them when I weigh them.

Ray Charles blue

I was 3525 with about 1/4 tank in my 2000 Z28, t-top, A4.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information