black/white
    99 Cobra/96 Ram 4x4/08 R6

Arrow Mustang/General Racing Tips

For those of you with knowledge of mustangs, please give your advise.

I have a 99 Cobra with CAI. It may have shorties, x pipe w/no cat, flows, or may still have the strait pipes into flows, street tires

Questions - #1 What RPM should i launch at? I've tried 2k and the Rpm's drop when i dump the clutch, like it is bogging down. I've also tried 2500 and spin for about 50 feet. Both are without heating my tires. Should I launch at high RPMs and feather it out a little?

#2 How many times should I run/How much time should I allow between passes? I dont want to blow my motor or overheat.

#3 What are some of the tricks at the strip? The ones that im aware of are remove spair tire/jack, remove pass. headlight, and have about 1/8 to 1/4 tank of 93 octane gas.

#4 Should I use octane boosters to give me a race like fuel?

Any other advise is appreciated...And go ahead and guess on what my 1/4 time and trap will be.

The reason I dont post on mustang forums is because I generally get 1-3 replies, and also you guys seem to be more knowledged about cars as a whole than they do.

Thank You, Joe

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by fox87stang View Post
    For those of you with knowledge of mustangs, please give your advise.

I have a 99 Cobra with CAI. It may have shorties, x pipe w/no cat, flows, or may still have the strait pipes into flows, street tires

Questions - #1 What RPM should i launch at? I've tried 2k and the Rpm's drop when i dump the clutch, like it is bogging down. I've also tried 2500 and spin for about 50 feet. Both are without heating my tires. Should I launch at high RPMs and feather it out a little?

#2 How many times should I run/How much time should I allow between passes? I dont want to blow my motor or overheat.

#3 What are some of the tricks at the strip? The ones that im aware of are remove spair tire/jack, remove pass. headlight, and have about 1/8 to 1/4 tank of 93 octane gas.

#4 Should I use octane boosters to give me a race like fuel?

Any other advise is appreciated...And go ahead and guess on what my 1/4 time and trap will be.

The reason I dont post on mustang forums is because I generally get 1-3 replies, and also you guys seem to be more knowledged about cars as a whole than they do.

Thank You, Joe
    have you tried, www.mach1registry.com ?

what I'm gonna sudgest is only based on what I've learned from a buddy of mine who has a Mach1...

#1 ur launch RPM is fine, heat up the tires a bit...and posibly feather it a little...

#2 allow at least 15mins between runs... and um... try not to go past 6 times down

#3 the more weight in the rear the better for traction... you could take it all out...but I'd leave at least 1/2 a tank in there...

#4 Octane Boosters, won't do much at all... I once put in 100 Oct racing fuel...no difrence... in a car that's not made for it

From that race you posted in the Kill Section... I can safely say your car is mid 13's... if you drive it well enough...

Good Luck...

black/white

Thank You

sebring silver
    2000 z28

what are your rear gears, if it is anything under 4.10 i would strongly recommend 4.10 to be installed, from what i hear (my buddies mustang) that is the best bang for buck, reason being is that the 4.6 isn't a huge tq monster and the 4.10 help it "ACT" like it is, plus being a higher rpm motor the gear will allow it to become in its power band sooner, and as far as the launch just practice, with the 4.10 it shouldn't bog near as easy.
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

yeah, 4.10's would make for some interesting turns... would in theory turn it in a sort of beast...

lauching it...would become all but imposible with Street tires though... you'd need some DR's or something

black/white

Thanks guys, 4.10s will come in December along with lowering kit, hood, and maybe comp cams if I rebuild the motor.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post

I've done a bit of racing in a 99 Cobra. Drop me a PM if you like.
    A BIT OF RACING, might just be the biggest understatement of the century...

Thread Information