Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trans Am owner
    former

LT1 vs. swapped civic.......

theres this kid at my school that is gonna drop a B18 motor in his civic and throw a turbo on it. by the time he's done doin that. I'll have a new converter, 3.73's, full exhaust w/ long tubes, and maybe a cam. I might have some nitto 555r's too.

so, do you think he'll blow my doors off or what? thats a really light car, and that b18 might be pretty quick......its kinda got me worried......should I be?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

haha...no

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1 View Post
    theres this kid at my school that is gonna drop a B18 motor in his civic and throw a turbo on it. by the time he's done doin that. I'll have a new converter, 3.73's, full exhaust w/ long tubes, and maybe a cam. I might have some nitto 555r's too.

so, do you think he'll blow my doors off or what? thats a really light car, and that b18 might be pretty quick......its kinda got me worried......should I be?
    Depending on boost and what gen civic as well as what b18 he has, you could be in for an ass pounding or he could not get traction and you would destroy him. Your best and probably only way of beating him would be from a dig. If he runs 8-9 pounds of boost, he most likely won't get decent traction till 2nd or 3rd gear.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

aurora? what school u go to

Trans Am owner
    former

oswego district.

I dont know the boost. he siad he refuses to run fro ma stop. minimum 10 roll........hahahahaha

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

oswego district.

I dont know the boost. he siad he refuses to run fro ma stop. minimum 10 roll........hahahahaha
    A 10 roll is pointless. Tell him this best of 3 1 from a dig, one from a 25 or your best gear, and a 50 roll.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    A 10 roll is pointless. Tell him this best of 3 1 from a dig, one from a 25 or your best gear, and a 50 roll.
    yeah. that sounds good.

my car as of now doesnt kick down to 1st unless under 30 mph. so no roll races starting at 35-45 mph.

50 roll is doable. but I have to lug second gear al lthe way up to 100 mph!!!!!

Damn you 2.73's!!!!!!!!!!!!

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

yeah. that sounds good.

my car as of now doesnt kick down to 1st unless under 30 mph. so no roll races starting at 35-45 mph.

then do a 60 or 70 roll, only problem you will run up against is he will be in full boost most likely in 3rd gear.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yeah. that sounds good.

damn, my 3.90s are really badass, u shoudl consider switching

Trans Am owner
    former

yeah, my next upgrade is gonna be 3.73's, followed very shortly by a 3200 vigilante converter, trans go shift kit, and B&M trans cooler

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

yeah, my next upgrade is gonna be 3.73's, followed very shortly by a 3200 vigilante converter, trans go shift kit, and B&M trans cooler
    A trans cooler would be a waste of money, you could hotlap 1000 times and you wouldnt overheat. Unless your going to be putting some serious power down, don't waste your money on a trans cooler.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

a trans cooler is necessary with a stall converter, and a great precaution with a shift kit especially if you get a good shift kit
    theyre not that expensive anyways... i bought one used (but not really used) for like $25

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    a trans cooler is necessary with a stall converter, and a great precaution with a shift kit especially if you get a good shift kit
    theyre not that expensive anyways... i bought one used (but not really used) for like $25
    Didn't notice he was getting a stall too
    Last edited by adam3566; 09-13-2008 at 03:16 PM.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Vigilante stalls are crap if you ask me, but to each is own. Let me know how the race goes, and good luck!

10's N/A

Along with the mods you have planned (minus the cam) plus a good tune (don't forget that part), you should be in the 12's with a good launch. I wouldn't underestimate a car that light with a turbocharger. I would actually need more information on the kit and what other mods the guy has to go with it to make a better assumption. It very well could be closer than one might think.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Unless the kid really knows what he is doing or he is having a professional shop do the work , I wouldn't worry about him. Turbo projects are much more involved than anyone thinks, it takes a lot of knowledge and research to get everything just right. My friend (dealer technician and has all his ASE's) has been working on his turbo b18 Honda since last November, and its still not ideally tuned and set up to where he wants it. You have the whole issue of turbo sizing, turbo components, and hooking up an ECU, dealing with the wiring and tuning fiasco that is OBDI, and making sure the entire setup works. The little things like fitment issues and incompatible parts will really get you. Getting the car to actually idle without stalling it a feat in itself.

The kid is probably going in way over his head, I wouldn't take him seriously until you see a finished project.

Trans Am owner
    former

yeah. right now he claims it makes "130 whp"

hahahaha, he is talkin smack, and shite, and if anything it might take hi ma year to get a B18. by then, I'll be sprayin atleast a 75-100 shot, so he is seriously no match at that point. turbo or not

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

yeah. right now he claims it makes "130 whp"

hahahaha, he is talkin smack, and shite, and if anything it might take hi ma year to get a B18. by then, I'll be sprayin atleast a 75-100 shot, so he is seriously no match at that point. turbo or not
    A B18 depending on which b18 he got can make 130-190ish hp. A turboed b16 or even b18 done right would absolutuly destroy you even with a 100 shot. I doubt he has the time or money, but you never know.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Unless the kid really knows what he is doing or he is having a professional shop do the work , I wouldn't worry about him. Turbo projects are much more involved than anyone thinks, it takes a lot of knowledge and research to get everything just right. My friend (dealer technician and has all his ASE's) has been working on his turbo b18 Honda since last November, and its still not ideally tuned and set up to where he wants it. You have the whole issue of turbo sizing, turbo components, and hooking up an ECU, dealing with the wiring and tuning fiasco that is OBDI, and making sure the entire setup works. The little things like fitment issues and incompatible parts will really get you. Getting the car to actually idle without stalling it a feat in itself.

The kid is probably going in way over his head, I wouldn't take him seriously until you see a finished project.
    Ever heard of honda-tech? I will probably say that is one the best information and knowledgeable websites i have seen, besides ls1tech. All it takes now adays is someone to post on how and what they have done and it pretty much doesn't take a rocket scientiest to figure out what to do on them. Doing a turbo setup on a import is actually quite easy. Your friend probably doesn't have the time then to really get it done right. What you listed turbo sizing, components, and hooking up and ecu and wiring and easily be done in a weekend if not less and a good job done. It all depends on your knowledge and skill level.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    A B18 depending on which b18 he got can make 130-190ish hp. A turboed b16 or even b18 done right would absolutuly destroy you even with a 100 shot. I doubt he has the time or money, but you never know.
    Agreed. A B18 w/ a serious turbo setup and everything working right is a serious car.

Thread Information