Thread: Lauching help

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

Lauching help

Haven't really figured out how to launch a 6 speed yet, I have always owned automatics when I went to the strip. how do you guys launch you M6's? here are the specs in my car.. also anyone know the RWHP it may be putting out with those mods? using street tires at the moment don't have enough to get some slicks yet.

2000 trans am

-fast 90/90
    -pacesetter headers
    -ORY
    -Corsa 3' pipes
    -SLP lid with K&N with free mod done to it.
    -Comp cam
    -Comp valve springs and push rods
    -short shifter
    -Heavy Duty Torque Arm , Front and Rear Sway Bars, Rear Control Arms and panhard bar with tower brace
    -moser 12 bolt with 4:11 gears

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Lauching help

you got the right mods. Launching with street tires is different then DR's and slicks. Wheel spin & street tires are hand in hand. Each car is different just like road conditions. Best thing I can say practice at different rpms.

I found any higher then 2000 and I spin. My tires are Nittos 555R.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-20-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    you got the right mods. Launching with street tires is different then DR's and slicks. Wheel spin & street tires are hand in hand. Each car is different just like road conditions. Best thing I can say practice at different rpms.

I found any higher then 2000 and I spin. My tires are Nittos 555R.
    Do you just dump the clutch? or ease off it

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What kind of 60' times are you seeing?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

What tires are you using? I run Nitto's 555R's all year, you living in Miami you'll have no issues running a summer tire all year like me.

I still haven't perfected it. I've tried dumping and easing in to it. On street tires I found you need to ease into it but start out at 2000-2500 rpm in first otherwise you bog down and any higher wheel spin. Stock cams the power band starts at 3000 and goes to about 5500 rpm before it drops off.

Now since you have a built rear I recommend getting Drag Radials or slicks. Both heat up the tires and you can do 4000 rpm launches DEPENDING on the clutch you have.

One of my buddies has a Moser 9" w/Wavetrac Diff, cam and uses 100 shot of N20 and can throw me (I'm not a small guy) in the t top storage when he launches.

It may be you have a worn or weak clutch. Stock = most defiantly weak. LS7 = better but not going to last with hard launches, need a Monster stage II or III depending on how much torque output.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-20-2013 at 05:32 AM.

You have a 12 bolt, what's the problem? Get some stickies, put the pedal down, pop the clutch and go

If you are still racing on stock rubber, you can employ some tricks we use in pure stock racing but if it's not the way you plan to keep racing the car I wouldn't bother.

Running other stick cars over the years, I've experimented with slipping the clutch but it's hard on clutches, shortens life, creates hot spots on the flywheel which then in turn gives you clutch chatter, etc...
    On stock rubber I prefer to pick an RPM that works depending on track prep, pop the clutch or let it out very quickly, control any wheel spin that there might be with the throttle, and go... And just save the clutch that way. Tires are cheaper and easier to replace than clutches

Get some stickies and have some real fun

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It looks like you have a good setup so I would get a good set of 10" slicks, a Hurst line lock setup, start at 18 to 20 psi in the slicks, do a good burnout, stage and rev to 3500 rpm. When that last yellow light comes on mash the gas and side step the clutch. Hang on and have fun. You should be in the low 12's with your combo.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

If your serious you need a bias ply slick and gears, I launch mine at 6k I release the clutch and go 1.4 60 ft also a good shock is needed.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My best time to date using Nitto 555R drag radials in my 2002 Camaro SS M6 was holding the RPM at 4500 and popping the clutch out.

Bottom line is, you cannot expect to get a good 60' time with just drag radials. You need slicks.

Thread Information