Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

just got back from the track!

This is a discussion on just got back from the track! within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA yea i just got back from the track little bit ago. it went pretty good i ...

Internet Police

Black
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    yea i just got back from the track little bit ago. it went pretty good i got a better reaction time (.112) then last time (5.23) for some reason i cant get my car to run better then a 14, i mean this is my 3rd time going to the track. but damn isnt my car sapposed to be running low 13's? although i cant run anything better then 14 at my track becuase i dont have a helmet, but still i tried to go all out to see what my car can do but even then i could hit anything lower then 14.

Oh yea and this guy in a cuda idont know what year. but after he stagged and the embers turn green he launched but snapped his rear end and his left tire kind broke off. it was kinda funny but fuked up at the same time.
    every track is different, it's kinda like comparing dyno numbers. they are never directly comparable. I been to the track when stock LS1's would not trap over 101, usually in the 98-100 range, LT1's were in the 94-96, 99-04 Mustangs in the 93-94's, an 02 Z06 was runnin 108's and so on. and this isnt in horrible conditions either. it can vary greatly. all you can really do is compare to the cars that ran at the same track on the same day to gauge where your car really is and what it's really done.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

It's called " feathering the clutch " or , slipping the clutch .
    Not many are really good at this cause if you don't know what your doing you can cook a clutch pretty easily . But once you learn with a clutch car you will never have to worry about lining up next to an automatic. Just takes time & practice . As you learn you will find the difference between granny-shifting , quick-shifting & power-shifting which are the essence & joy of driving a clutch car .

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    It's called " feathering the clutch " or , slipping the clutch .
    Not many are really good at this cause if you don't know what your doing you can cook a clutch pretty easily . But once you learn with a clutch car you will never have to worry about lining up next to an automatic. Just takes time & practice . As you learn you will find the difference between granny-shifting , quick-shifting & power-shifting which are the essence & joy of driving a clutch car .
    I hate to sound naive and stupid, i think i shift pretty fast and i've heard of these terms, but what the hell are they really. All i now is clutch, shift, and gas. Someone wanna go into a little detail. Thanks

black trans am

granny shifting is when u shift and let it go in gear not slam it , quick shifting is when u dont slam it nore cherp tires . power shifting is when u hit the gear as hard as u more or less can... feathering the clutch is a bitch to lean u realy need a lot of track time to get that down, and one term that had not been listed is dry shifting wich is can be done when u pop the car out of gear with out tuching the clutch and let the gear in the trans line up with the eng rpm and it will "fall in to gear" with little force, that is my newest trick to lean . i havent tryed it in high rpm yet but i can drive around town doing it in every gear , but 3rd and 4th is a bitch..lol

9.62/140

I wouldn't try the dry shift at the track, you could really hurt the tranny. Power shift I always considered to be a real quick shift with out letting off the gas at all.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

whats the different with power shifting and dry shifting?

black trans am

power shifting ur going to be staying in the gas dry shifting is when u shift with out using the clutch at all

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Power shifting is what will give you your best time [ET] but woe to him that misses a gear,its very very expensive not to mention very embarrassing! Just as when you have a deep gear with wrinkle wall slicks & a stickie starting line at the light ,you bring the revs up to your torque curve & side step the clutch. Then with a close ratio 4-speed you just side step the clutch at or just below redline at the top of each gear. With a 4.56 gear & 28" tall slicks cross the finish line at about 7000 RPM. WOW ! What a rush. I get a hard-on just thinkin about it .

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

air you tires down, it'll help a lot with the launch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information