Investigation of Scott Kalitta's crash

The police investigation of Kalitta's crash is complete and has been released. Some of it is all ready known and some of it is pretty surprising.

http://www.fastmachines.com/nhra/new...kalitta-crash/

black
    99 z28 a4

that was pretty crazy... r.i.p

Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

A review of information provided by Delphi, which was recorded by accelerometers, mounted to the Kalitta vehicle revealed multiple impacts producing over 100G, with some approaching or exceeding 200G.
    Holy Crap!!!
    Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; 10-24-2008 at 12:45 PM.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

i was there in the stands closest to the the traps , its one thing to hear about it or see it on the internet , but when saw that car pass me at 300 + and it seemed like yes there was a explosion, and the chute got messed up , but it seemed like there was no brakes applied , that was an accident , that is gonna happen in this sport , but for the nhra to shorten the track is the most rediculous thing i ever heard , its liike making baseball 6 innings . and ill be dammed if im gonna go pay 50 bucks to see these guys shut down and almost have the car stopped , at the e/t sighn . no way , actually i was only there to try to meet ashley force. but that whole incident ruined my chances , so i was pissed and then they shorten the track , just wasntg ment to be i guess !

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

So did you have some kind of connection that was going to facilitate meeting her? Or were you just "hopeful" ?

I'll tell you what . . . those were some SERIOUS G forces going on there . . . HOLY CRAP AGAIN!!

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

The only part that really pissed me off was that they had to put the .02 alcohol content in there. There is no need to take away that a great man died. Fuck columnists. I don't care if it was against the rules or not. Unless he was drunk, we don't need to hear it.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by mad3125 View Post
    i was there in the stands closest to the the traps , its one thing to hear about it or see it on the internet , but when saw that car pass me at 300 + and it seemed like yes there was a explosion, and the chute got messed up , but it seemed like there was no brakes applied , that was an accident , that is gonna happen in this sport , but for the nhra to shorten the track is the most rediculous thing i ever heard , its liike making baseball 6 innings . and ill be dammed if im gonna go pay 50 bucks to see these guys shut down and almost have the car stopped , at the e/t sighn . no way , actually i was only there to try to meet ashley force. but that whole incident ruined my chances , so i was pissed and then they shorten the track , just wasntg ment to be i guess !
    Holy crap! I paid the $50 to see them at Maple Grove, and we worked our way down to the fence at the starting line. I have NEVER in my life fealt such an awesome force! I even went a couple of runs without earplugs for the Nitro cars and I think I had internal bleeding in my brain

Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    So did you have some kind of connection that was going to facilitate meeting her? Or were you just "hopeful" ?

I'll tell you what . . . those were some SERIOUS G forces going on there . . . HOLY CRAP AGAIN!!
    Yea, I think the human body can only sustain something around 120g's before internal injuries, and like 180g's is imminent death...don't quote me on it but I think they are accurate...?

I recently saw an expirement on the History Channel where they were using G-force stickers to immitate deadly blows to the human body. I think the sow was called "Death Machines" and it was a really cool show.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    Holy crap! I paid the $50 to see them at Maple Grove, and we worked our way down to the fence at the starting line. I have NEVER in my life fealt such an awesome force! I even went a couple of runs without earplugs for the Nitro cars and I think I had internal bleeding in my brain

Yea, I think the human body can only sustain something around 120g's before internal injuries, and like 180g's is imminent death...don't quote me on it but I think they are accurate...?

I recently saw an expirement on the History Channel where they were using G-force stickers to immitate deadly blows to the human body. I think the sow was called "Death Machines" and it was a really cool show.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/C00292...ce/gforce.html 9g's is what i found in a quick little research

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    http://library.thinkquest.org/C00292...ce/gforce.html 9g's is what i found in a quick little research
    This was like sudden sustained trauma... maybe measured in something else, but I thought it was g-forces?

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    The only part that really pissed me off was that they had to put the .02 alcohol content in there. There is no need to take away that a great man died. Fuck columnists. I don't care if it was against the rules or not. Unless he was drunk, we don't need to hear it.

I agree . . . I wonder what your blood alcohol level would be after downing a 16 ounce bottle of Orange juice 1 hour before that?

Seems like a definite non-issue as to what caused the accident!!

Thread Information