If things go bad...

This is a discussion on If things go bad... within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Let's say something bad happens at the track (knock on wood), how are they going to tow me off? I ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If things go bad...

Let's say something bad happens at the track (knock on wood), how are they going to tow me off? I don't have a strut tower brace or anything convenient that you can hook to. I certainly don't want to hook anything underneath the car or have the track crew push on the bumper covers. Anyone have a tow hook mounted or some other semi-safe way of moving a disabled F-body?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Can always strap to the rear end.
    Or hook the k-member (as long as you aren't being pulled hard).

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was worried about distorting the front bumper cover if they hook underneath. Unless it is a long tow strap it's going to rub on the bodyworks, isn't it?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Let's say something bad happens at the track (knock on wood), how are they going to tow me off? I don't have a strut tower brace or anything convenient that you can hook to. I certainly don't want to hook anything underneath the car or have the track crew push on the bumper covers. Anyone have a tow hook mounted or some other semi-safe way of moving a disabled F-body?
    Got AAA? If you bust it, push it off the lane and call..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Or rent/buy a car dolly for the day.. So you can safely pull it with a pickup with a hitch..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Got AAA? If you bust it, push it off the lane and call..

I am guessing that there may be an exclusion in my AAA membership for track related carnage. I am concerned about the track crew coming out to tow me off and causing damage to the car.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

I am guessing that there may be an exclusion in my AAA membership for track related carnage. I am concerned about the track crew coming out to tow me off and causing damage to the car.
    I would that's what you pay them for.. I just would'nt mention racing in the call.. For all they know you could be broke down in the visitor parking lot..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hell not to thread jack but we purchased AAA from the side of the road and in less than 15 minutes from the purchase, had a flat bed on it's way to get the Camaro when the fuel pump took a dump..

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hell not to thread jack but we purchased AAA from the side of the road and in less than 15 minutes from the purchase, had a flat bed on it's way to get the Camaro when the fuel pump took a dump..

Very resourceful. I've had AAA for at least 18 years now. Again, knock on wood, I haven't had to use it for anything other than paperwork, Trip-tiks and maps.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Very resourceful. I've had AAA for at least 18 years now. Again, knock on wood, I haven't had to use it for anything other than paperwork, Trip-tiks and maps.
    We use them for Hotel tix, theme park tix, etc, too..

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

have them tow you by your sway bar. it wont mess up your bodywork as the front air dam is there so the strap will push up on that.

AAA wont do shit..i wouldn't call AAA or your insurance until you push or trailer the car off of the drag strip property

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    have them tow you by your sway bar. it wont mess up your bodywork as the front air dam is there so the strap will push up on that.

AAA wont do shit..i wouldn't call AAA or your insurance until you push or trailer the car off of the drag strip property

The sway bar is tubular -- hook it adjacent to the bracket and hope they don't jerk on the strap too hard?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

The sway bar is tubular -- hook it adjacent to the bracket and hope they don't jerk on the strap too hard?
    hook it right on the front/middle of the sway bar. they can wrap the strap around it and tie it.

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Understand that if you break down while actually on the track, they WILL pull you off with a strap or something similar (they need to get you off quickly so others can continue racing), so be prepared to help them with the placement of the strap (such as discussed above).

Once back in the pits....then its all your deal as to how you move the car.

There are also times when things break and the cars don't roll. In which case they will bring out the floor jack, and push the car off.
    Like Blckcloud mentioned, they aren't going to be the most patient people waiting to get the car off the track. Most times if it happens right on the starting line, they'll push you back past the burnout box and out of the way so racing can continue, and then you're on your own.

I was once a victim of the floor jack when I broke an axle.

If it's a big concern, most times it's easier if you go on a track rental day with a club. It's not as crowded, more laid back, and you'll probably get more runs in.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for the replies guys! So far, it is just Test & Tune days, but I may eventualluy run their Friday Night Street Race events. I never really thought about it until the other night when I was out working on the car. That is why I asked.

Thread Information