Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I want to run 12s

This is a discussion on I want to run 12s within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Originally Posted by Getzen_Guy I'm getting an ls6 intake Friday, ordering lcas, panhard and 3.73s. Think I can hit 12s ...

Quote Originally Posted by Getzen_Guy View Post
    I'm getting an ls6 intake Friday, ordering lcas, panhard and 3.73s.
    Think I can hit 12s with a tune??
    Maybe, maybe not. Intake might give you a pinch but you probably won't see much out of it without a tune.
    Gears will help some.

Stick a converter in it, and that pretty much puts the nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZx2VRB41k[/ame]

i seen this video on tech, pretty sweet how awesome his car did. has a 12 bolt though.

All it takes is suspension tweaking, changing the instant center.

You can see high 13 second Super Stock cars yanking the wheels all the time. Doesn't necessarily take a ton of power.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

i know, im just giving a video referance of a car deep into 12s on minimum mods (except 12bolt)

Ray Charles blue

What tires does he have out back? You can clearly see they are podded out pretty good and dont resemble the fronts what so ever. I am sure its a drag radial of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    i know, im just giving a video referance of a car deep into 12s on minimum mods (except 12bolt)
    As far as minimum mods, I wouldn't even count the 12 bolt, that's just a strength upgrade that didn't do anything for ET.

As far as ET and MPH, (if this guy is being honest) The gears, 4,000 converter, and the suspension tweaks are what got this car to run the way it does. But you have to wonder if there was anything else done.

For starters it would have had to have a tune, since the loose converter will set off engine misfire codes, not to mention the gear change issues. I'm guessing all the free mods were done, probably a lid and what not. There might be more going on here than what we are lead to believe.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

^ tru but that 12 bolt increases his mod list by a butt load of $ so i was jsut tryin to exclude it. he has videos of his car after he did a cam bad tune and was runin 11s so . idk just thought the vid would be a good referance. sticky tires, stall,gears, and suspension, is not the best route to go before 12 bolt IMO

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If anything, that 12 bolt is LESS efficient, robbing more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If anything, that 12 bolt is LESS efficient, robbing more HP.
    Yes they do take more HP to turn than the 7.5 10 bolts, mainly due to the extra mass of larger center section and larger axles.

Out of all the rearend upgrades out there for these cars, the 12 bolts are the most efficient and take the least amount of power to turn them though.

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    ^ tru but that 12 bolt increases his mod list by a butt load of $ so i was jsut tryin to exclude it. he has videos of his car after he did a cam bad tune and was runin 11s so . idk just thought the vid would be a good referance. sticky tires, stall,gears, and suspension, is not the best route to go before 12 bolt IMO
    I don't know what you mean about the best route to go before a 12 bolt,,,,but this video is a perfect example for the original poster wanting to run 12's. It solidifies the comments made of simply getting a tune and a stall to run the number. That's really all it takes, along with some good air.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I don't know what you mean about the best route to go before a 12 bolt,,,,but this video is a perfect example for the original poster wanting to run 12's. It solidifies the comments made of simply getting a tune and a stall to run the number. That's really all it takes, along with some good air.
    i guess im just saying that this guy did it with these mods. so this would be a good route to go but not on a 10 bolt. I wouldnt want to launch my car with that setup at the track with the 10 bolt. therefore thats why I would not get sticky tire, suspension, stall and gearing before i had the proper rear end to not blow up with the power and the hooking capability.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information