Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

I ran the 1/4 mile tonite, and need help

i ran the 1/4 in my a4 z28..i ran 4 times got a 14.1 once and ran 14.0 3x's but im dealing with bad wheel hop for the first lil bit. the suspension is stock with over 106k miles on it....but also, a ls1 camaro running 14's? thats embarrasing to me.. so id like input from you folks on the best bolt ons for the buck. id like low 13's high 12's if possible, but really need my wheel hop thing fixed. so any input or information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

How are you launchimg the car ?
    Try launching off the foot brake at idle, and don't slam your foot down drop it progressively. This has worked for several people in the past.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

First off, Fix the wheel hop. As soon as ya feel it let off otherwise your gonna get yourself into a world of hurting.
    What do your 60' times look like? Your Et Mph? What tires are you running. Is this your first time at the track?
    First you need to learn your car, Learn your power curve and the old saying practice makes perfect is true.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yes it was my first time at the track...but it got faster with each run....i was running cooper zeon zpt tires. just a street tire....my fastes was 14.021 at 100.06 mph 60' time of 2.129 i was trying to get out of it when it would wheel hop (mainly during burnout) meaning it only wheel hopped on burnout...it didnt wheel hop during the run...i kinda loaded the car up too..i just held it at 1500 rpms just to half ass load the suspension down, and get a tiny advantage on leaving the line.. but still i would think this would be faster car....kinda dispapointing i couldnt break into the 13's

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

Wheel hop on burnout makes me think that you only had water on part of the tire, or not enough water period. With a stock LS1 A4 on street tires, I wouldn't even do a burnout. Drive around the waterbox, pull up to the line, and go.

As for launching, you'll get the most torque multiplication if you keep it at idle, and then just mash the throttle to the floor on launch. However, if you spin, the easy cure for that is to load the converter slightly (start around 1000 rpm) before you launch. That actually decreases the hit on the tires, and thus helps with traction.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

wow this is very good information...but i still would like to go faster...and would like to know what my car would benefit from the most....i was thinking headers (i already have a magna flow cat back) and maybe a cam? but i dont know...obviously suspension, but what kind as theres sooo much to offer...im wanting to drop the car bout 1.5- 2 inches, but will i still be able to find a suspension to help me at all?

B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

"Slamming" the car will hurt traction.

If I were in your shoes, the first things I'd get (outside of the 'free' mods) is a good converter, tires, and something to firm up the shifts and control the shift points. GM makes an excellent performance A4. Take advantage of it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99BoneMaro View Post
    wow this is very good information...but i still would like to go faster...and would like to know what my car would benefit from the most....i was thinking headers (i already have a magna flow cat back) and maybe a cam? but i dont know...obviously suspension, but what kind as theres sooo much to offer...im wanting to drop the car bout 1.5- 2 inches, but will i still be able to find a suspension to help me at all?
    Stall converter.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

do not lower the car if you want to go fast,

first i would remove the front bumper support and sway bar, this will be free and remove 35 lbs off the nose,

then spend the money and get any after market rear lower control arms and sub frame connectors, also a torque arm will be needed

lakewood has boxed lower control arms for $89.99 from jegs, and an edelbrock tq arm for $179, good prices and good bang for buck,

also get and slp air lid, good for 8 rwhp and installs in 2 minutes

sebring silver
    2000 z28

also a good set of nitto 555r 245/50-16 get me to a 1.88 60 dead hook, and with my rear lower control arms i have never seen wheel hop since
    2000 auto camaro
    13.54 @ 104 2.049 60' stock 2.73

12.94 @ 109 2.002 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 555r 2.73

11.899 @ 114.44 1.686 60' full exhaust, lid, tune, nitto 245/50-16 555r 3.73 moser 12-bolt 2800 fuddle, ls6 intake manifold, slp under drive pully,fiberglass hood, bmr k-member

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

yes it was my first time at the track...but it got faster with each run....i was running cooper zeon zpt tires. just a street tire....my fastes was 14.021 at 100.06 mph 60' time of 2.129 i was trying to get out of it when it would wheel hop (mainly during burnout) meaning it only wheel hopped on burnout...it didnt wheel hop during the run...i kinda loaded the car up too..i just held it at 1500 rpms just to half ass load the suspension down, and get a tiny advantage on leaving the line.. but still i would think this would be faster car....kinda dispapointing i couldnt break into the 13's
    well... if your car is a 3.23... (like mine) then... um... Manually Shift it... quite frankly...alot of people don't think it does anything... but I was runnin 14.1's and 14flat...all day long... on Drive... and I was pssed untill a friend of mine sudgested it...I tried it...and got a 13.8sec run... (bone stock, street tires)... it wouldn't really hurt to try... just make sure you shift at around 5,200rpms...(the delay on it will make it shift right on 6,000)... and make sure you hold it at aroun 1000-1500rpm for launch...

Good Luck

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yeah i was thinking bout the manually shifting it, but was worried bout the delay from holding it..1st-2nd has a lil delay, but 2nd-3rd has a really big delay....but ill have to try next year, as i ran the track on the very last fun nite at the track...so i pretty much have from now till spring to put stuff into the car now

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

yeah i was thinking bout the manually shifting it, but was worried bout the delay from holding it..1st-2nd has a lil delay, but 2nd-3rd has a really big delay....but ill have to try next year, as i ran the track on the very last fun nite at the track...so i pretty much have from now till spring to put stuff into the car now
    well good luck with the modding!... and don't worry I have a friend with a 2.73 gear LS1 Camaro... that hasn't even been able to brake out of 14.4... so 14flat ain't that bad

white
    2002 z28

manual shifting could work, theres lots of factors, drv skill, rpms shift, and delay fom the computer.

might work for some, but i heard it made slower, but thats another topic.

JUST GET A SHIFT KIT

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    manual shifting could work, theres lots of factors, drv skill, rpms shift, and delay fom the computer.

might work for some, but i heard it made slower, but thats another topic.

JUST GET A SHIFT KIT
    now that you hit the topic... How much is it for a shiftkit and install?...

white
    2002 z28

oo there super cheap, like 80-100, and about the same for install, its somewhat a must.

B and M makes a nice kit

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

oo there super cheap, like 80-100, and about the same for install, its somewhat a must.

B and M makes a nice kit
    Nice...thanks!...

I can safely add some more to that price...seeing as there is Shippin involved...over seas...

white
    2002 z28

true but its light soo, helps out a lil

soo you have to do international on everything?

white
    2002 z28

is there any chevy dealerships there or do they get everything from, the states

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

is there any chevy dealerships there or do they get everything from, the states
    International...only when it comes to most shipping since it's over seas... other then that it's all "normal"...Chevy Dealers, Distribuitors for Parts and such... we got pretty much everything as in the States there's just Water in the way... when ever I go over there I feel right at home... hehe...

Thread Information