Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

I need thoughts on my 1320 times

This is a discussion on I need thoughts on my 1320 times within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Well, Im just now getting my t56 launch down. I just cant figure out why my 1/8 mile times are ...

  1. #1
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    I need thoughts on my 1320 times

    Well, Im just now getting my t56 launch down. I just cant figure out why my 1/8 mile times are so bad. Its just easier if I print this out, my camera takes horrible close pictures

    Best time

    60' - 1.8177
    330ft - 5.1889
    1.8th ET - 7.9397
    1/8 MPH - 90.04
    1000' et - 10.3048
    1000' mph - 103.91
    1/4 et - 12.2760
    1/4 mph - 114.70

    Now, my best 1/8 MPH was 92.43
    Best MPH 1/4 was 115.75

    The 1.81 was by best 60' as of yet. I know, its not great

    I also know my setup is not perfect either. Its a live and learn thing. Be different in alittle while

    What do you guys think about those times? I know im still going slow for my mods, and Im trying to take the FI route to keeping some of the most expensive ones. I cant help but think I have 11's tucked away. Car runs strong, very strong on the street. Have beaten many bikes and cars (or stayed with) that should have wasted me.

    6.0
    Fast 92/92
    5.3 heads, ported mildly
    230/236 .573 .580 114 LSA 110 ICL
    Kooks 1 7/8's
    Custom 4" exhuast, 4" cutout
    Moser 9" / 4.11 gears
    Tuned in SD

    Seems to me, I need to end my 1st gear shift earlier. Shift into 2nd and drag that gear out. I think im spending too much time in 1st, even with the 4.11's. Maybe I need to actually worry about 2nd gear shifting before redline. (6800) Ive tried a few different shifting combos. But when your getting 60' like I was it didnt matter.

    dyno'd 416 RWHP 375 RWTQ on a Mustang dyno on my old MAF tune.

    Questions / Comments?

  2. #2
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    At what rpm is your peak HP? Your shift points should be several hundred rpm beyond the peak.

    What have you been shifting at?

  3. #3
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    At what rpm is your peak HP? Your shift points should be several hundred rpm beyond the peak.

    What have you been shifting at?
    on this current tune I dont have an accurate dyno graph.

    Heres the video of the 12.2 pass.

    [MEDIA]http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/hi-po2/?action=view&current=MVI_1796.flv[/MEDIA]
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 09-20-2009 at 11:14 PM.

  4. #4
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    numbers look good to me....but maybe thats just me

  5. #5
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    numbers look good to me....but maybe thats just me
    Seems im running slow to me. r

  6. #6
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    ET's look damn near like mine when I would bog....

  7. #7
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    The '60 could really improve...

  8. #8
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Yea, these 60' are killing me. But Im getting the hang of launching this pig. I hope to knock off at least another tenth this wednesday. I think my stock shocks and springs are also killing me.

  9. #9
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Dont think that video is working. Heres the link.

    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...t=MVI_1796.flv

  10. #10
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Think auto + stall

  11. #11
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Think auto + stall
    Except im a M6

  12. #12
    Member tnthub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Age
    59
    Posts
    943

    Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

    I run between 89-90 in the 1/8 and ET is between 7.4-7.6 depending on weather and track conditions.

    My 60 foot times are between 1.5 and 1.6, again depending on whether I stage shallow or deep, and weather...

    I hate to say it but I suspect the issue with with the launch and shifting... Practice makes perfect and sometimes it takes years of practice to get there...

    Short shifting 1-2 is generally good. Powershifting is truly an art form when done properly.

    What type of tires and wheels? I suspect you will get the most benefit with 15" rims and either 26" or 28" Et Streets (not the drag radials), depending on your goals.
    Last edited by tnthub; 09-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    There are only 2 ways to find the correct shift points:

    1) Dozens of trial-and-error runs with good record keeping of the results

    2) An accurate HP curve (dyno) plotted against transmission ratios

    The idea is to maximize average HP in each gear. Shifting higher or lower will change the average HP of the gear you were in, and the gear you are going into. If you had a printout of HP vs rpm (in 200 rpm increments), there are many online shift point calculators that can figure this up for you in seconds.

    Rear-end gearing has no effect on shift points.

  14. #14
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    I run between 89-90 in the 1/8 and ET is between 7.4-7.6 depending on weather and track conditions.

    My 60 foot times are between 1.5 and 1.6, again depending on whether I stage shallow or deep, and weather...

    I hate to say it but I suspect the issue with with the launch and shifting... Practice makes perfect and sometimes it takes years of practice to get there...

    Short shifting 1-2 is generally good. Powershifting is truly an art form when done properly.

    What type of tires and wheels? I suspect you will get the most benefit with 15" rims and either 26" or 28" Et Streets (not the drag radials), depending on your goals.
    Dont feel bad telling me I suck at launching I know it, and its alot of fun trying to get better. I totally agree with you on the wheels. I just simply do not have the funds that I did a few months ago to dump into the TA. Wheels are stock 17's (WS6) with MT ET Street's radials. I want nothing more than a nice drag wheel setup. I now feel I spent another 3000 dollars on rear end and driveshaft to spin in the first 60'. I still need lots of practice, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    There are only 2 ways to find the correct shift points:

    1) Dozens of trial-and-error runs with good record keeping of the results

    2) An accurate HP curve (dyno) plotted against transmission ratios

    The idea is to maximize average HP in each gear. Shifting higher or lower will change the average HP of the gear you were in, and the gear you are going into. If you had a printout of HP vs rpm (in 200 rpm increments), there are many online shift point calculators that can figure this up for you in seconds.

    Rear-end gearing has no effect on shift points.
    I need to get back on a dyno. Just the money is kinda tight. I was supposed to go back tonight, but it was someones b-day today/ that I forgot about I might try for the friday test and tune, but is can get so busy at Milan on fridays its almost easier to wait till next wednesday.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Good luck.

  16. #16
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    At what rpm is your peak HP? Your shift points should be several hundred rpm beyond the peak.

    What have you been shifting at?
    Sorry Ron, don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a quick question. Based on my DYNO graph, my peak HP is 330 at 5500RPM and peak TQ is 342 at 4700RPM . So based on this, what should I be shifting at? Also M6. Thanks.

  17. #17
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    what psi in the tires? Do you have a line lock to get a nice burnout?

  18. #18
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what psi in the tires? Do you have a line lock to get a nice burnout?
    At the end of the night I had the at 17. No line lock. It is next on the list after shocks and springs. I really need to count down in my head from 5-1 for my burn out. I dont think im getting as good as I should.

  19. #19
    Senior Member BLKCLOUD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,100

    B2300 (Fluffy) Retired
    Plain-Jane Dodge Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sorry Ron, don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a quick question. Based on my DYNO graph, my peak HP is 330 at 5500RPM and peak TQ is 342 at 4700RPM . So based on this, what should I be shifting at? Also M6. Thanks.
    Read my reply to Hi-po a few posts up. If you have the complete dyno graph, there are several shift calculators online that can be used to calculate shift points. Use the T56 1st thru 4th gear ratios (2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.0) and any one of them will spit out a good first guess.

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BLKCLOUD View Post
    Read my reply to Hi-po a few posts up. If you have the complete dyno graph, there are several shift calculators online that can be used to calculate shift points. Use the T56 1st thru 4th gear ratios (2.66, 1.78, 1.3, 1.0) and any one of them will spit out a good first guess.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nitto 1320 Legends
    By Transamws6 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 09:12 PM
  2. Question: Anyone else going to Midnight 1320?
    By Smurfvette05 in forum Texas Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 01:59 PM
  3. 1st time down the ol' 1320
    By RAWPWR3 in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
  4. Open for thoughts? 1/4 times
    By nabdrill in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •