Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Hi-Po ran 11.91 at 117 MPH. Lets break things

This is a discussion on Hi-Po ran 11.91 at 117 MPH. Lets break things within the Drag Racing forums, part of the Racing Forums category; Had a great night of racing tonight. Many 11 second runs, and beat other Fbody's that I had previously lost ...

  1. #1
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Unhappy Hi-Po ran 11.91 at 117 MPH. Lets break things

    Had a great night of racing tonight. Many 11 second runs, and beat other Fbody's that I had previously lost to. Car was running very strong, I was getting some decent 60's, MPH was decent.

    Last run, Went to do my burnout and the car seemed to lug down. Had a gut feeling something was wrong. At the end of the run, smoking like a SOB. Didn't drop any oil on the track thank god. That was my 7th run, and the guy I usually race in a nice Camaro blew his transmission.

    We both obviously decided to call it a night I beat him all 5 times tonight.

    My car still ran, rough. I pulled out of Milan, and the rear end was popping around corners. Great, damn Trutrac is toasted. Going with a spool next time, screw the Tru Trac. Lasted one year of drag racing, not up to my expectations.


    So, I ran 11.90's all night and it cost me...

    One motor (slight knock, tick)

    One Moser Tru Trac. Obviously popping around corners.

    Time to build it bigger. Future plans, 370 or 402/8 CI with a F1 Procharger, and a damn spool.


    Last edited by Hi-Po; 11-04-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

    Build in progress...

  2. #2
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Congrats on a great et....but sorry for all the carnage to get it. Like you said, good time to build a new setup.

    What were your 60' times?

  3. #3
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Sorry to hear that man....

  4. #4
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Congrats on a great et....but sorry for all the carnage to get it. Like you said, good time to build a new setup.

    What were your 60' times?
    1.70

    1.69

    1.74

    1.89

    1.71 etc...


    Im more upset about the rear end. I dont want to go to a spool really, but I cant be replacing these Tru Trac's after a racing season.

  5. #5
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sorry to hear that man....
    I did put quite a few pass's on this car this year. I would say 40 at least. Not that anything should have broke, but I had a great timing breaking it

    Have to expect to break things when you go to the track at least once a week for a few months.

  6. #6
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I did put quite a few pass's on this car this year. I would say 40 at least. Not that anything should have broke, but I had a great timing breaking it

    Have to expect to break things when you go to the track at least once a week for a few months.
    I know this is probably an out of this world question, but what is the warranty on these things from Moser? Any chance of going back to them to see what they would do for you, if anything? I mean these rear ends are supposed to be made to take some major abuse, correct?

    Guessing you saw how my axle is leaking again. I want to just fix it myself, but I don't know if I would be voiding the warranty. Bob told me to come out to see him in the early spring to get it fixed as I don't have a whole day to spend going out there right now.

  7. #7
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    1.70

    1.69

    1.74

    1.89

    1.71 etc...


    Im more upset about the rear end. I dont want to go to a spool really, but I cant be replacing these Tru Trac's after a racing season.
    Those are pretty good 60' times. I forget if your car is A4 or M6. Also what size and type of tires you running at the track?

    If there's any way you can investigate as to what failed in the rearend....because I wouldn't think a tru trac would break like that. Was there any strange noises coming from the rearend prior to racing? Dumb question, but was the gear oil filled proper? What fluid do you use? Just food for thought really. I wouldn't go to a spool if you're going to street drive the car most of the time. Spools are for the serious racer IMO.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Congrats on the times and taking it to those that previously beat you. That had to be a great feeling having all your hard work pay off like that. Real sorry to hear about the breakage though.

    For what it's worth, I am looking forward to reading your posts on whatever upgrades result from this.

  9. #9
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I know this is probably an out of this world question, but what is the warranty on these things from Moser? Any chance of going back to them to see what they would do for you, if anything? I mean these rear ends are supposed to be made to take some major abuse, correct?

    Guessing you saw how my axle is leaking again. I want to just fix it myself, but I don't know if I would be voiding the warranty. Bob told me to come out to see him in the early spring to get it fixed as I don't have a whole day to spend going out there right now.
    I dont think there is a warranty really.

    How far of away is EPP from you? If its a decent drive I would say thanks, but no thanks. Replacing that seal is an hour job.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Those are pretty good 60' times. I forget if your car is A4 or M6. Also what size and type of tires you running at the track?

    If there's any way you can investigate as to what failed in the rearend....because I wouldn't think a tru trac would break like that. Was there any strange noises coming from the rearend prior to racing? Dumb question, but was the gear oil filled proper? What fluid do you use? Just food for thought really. I wouldn't go to a spool if you're going to street drive the car most of the time. Spools are for the serious racer IMO.
    M6. Mickey Thompson ET Streets Radials. Fluid was just checked about a month ago when I replaced an axle seal. Its perfect. If I remember correctly I put Valvoline 80/90. I dont know what else to do. These Tru tracs are crazy expensive. Over a 1000 dollars IIRC. If another TruTrac fails, Ill have almost 3500 into a rear end and still need to buy another center section. This car will always be a street car, but the strip is very important. I have a little while to ponder this decision, as its a very big and important decision. I have read many bad stories of Tru Tracs and the 1/4 mile. I also hear alot of people doing just fine.

  10. #10
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Congrats on the times and taking it to those that previously beat you. That had to be a great feeling having all your hard work pay off like that. Real sorry to hear about the breakage though.

    For what it's worth, I am looking forward to reading your posts on whatever upgrades result from this.
    Thanks. Me and this black guy have been battling for weeks. He's a stalled auto with a 228. Great guy, but it felt great to pull him by a car 5 times tonight

    The next project will no doubt be based around a F1 procharger. With the power levels I would expect with a F1 and a 370/40x... I dont see Tru Trac being up to the task.

  11. #11
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    M6. Mickey Thompson ET Streets Radials. Fluid was just checked about a month ago when I replaced an axle seal. Its perfect. If I remember correctly I put Valvoline 80/90. I dont know what else to do. These Tru tracs are crazy expensive. Over a 1000 dollars IIRC. If another TruTrac fails, Ill have almost 3500 into a rear end and still need to buy another center section. This car will always be a street car, but the strip is very important. I have a little while to ponder this decision, as its a very big and important decision. I have read many bad stories of Tru Tracs and the 1/4 mile. I also hear alot of people doing just fine.
    Another dumb question...What moser rearend do you have? Also did you put the little tube of differential lube in? Using petroleum based gear lube is much better than synthetic...helps to absorb some of the shock when launching. I was asking about any noises because if the lash wasn't set right on the ring & pinion...it could cause early fail.

    I agree about your statements of Tru Trac....I think they're a quality part. Sadly, like everything mechanical, it's going to break at some point. If it were me I'd get another Tru Trac and just mark this one up as a freak issue. You'll kick yourself later if you go with a spool and have to deal with it on a regular basis. Just my .02 on that. Maybe talk to Moser and see if they can do anything for you. Who knows, worth a shot anyways.

  12. #12
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Another dumb question...What moser rearend do you have? Also did you put the little tube of differential lube in? Using petroleum based gear lube is much better than synthetic...helps to absorb some of the shock when launching. I was asking about any noises because if the lash wasn't set right on the ring & pinion...it could cause early fail.

    I agree about your statements of Tru Trac....I think they're a quality part. Sadly, like everything mechanical, it's going to break at some point. If it were me I'd get another Tru Trac and just mark this one up as a freak issue. You'll kick yourself later if you go with a spool and have to deal with it on a regular basis. Just my .02 on that. Maybe talk to Moser and see if they can do anything for you. Who knows, worth a shot anyways.
    It was not synthetic for sure. I put the recommended amount of additive and had a good breather system on rearend. After about 20 pass roughly, it had a slight whine at 70 MPH. Nothing severe at all, alittle music and you couldn't hear it. When I got the center section, it still had fresh paint marks on it. I also took it to Caterpillar where I used to work and had the specialty shop check it out. I loved the Tru trac on the street for sure. Drove like a stocker.

    I want to ride with a buddy who has a spool or maybe a locker for a week and see if I could handle it. I would love to have a unbreakable spool back there at the track.

  13. #13
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,048

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    It was not synthetic for sure. I put the recommended amount of additive and had a good breather system on rearend. After about 20 pass roughly, it had a slight whine at 70 MPH. Nothing severe at all, alittle music and you couldn't hear it. When I got the center section, it still had fresh paint marks on it. I also took it to Caterpillar where I used to work and had the specialty shop check it out. I loved the Tru trac on the street for sure. Drove like a stocker.

    I want to ride with a buddy who has a spool or maybe a locker for a week and see if I could handle it. I would love to have a unbreakable spool back there at the track.
    Definitely must have been a freak breakage then. Just like in nascar...sometimes those things just break and it's just a shame. Easier for them to deal with it since they've got huge budgets to work with.

    I guess if you can "experience" a spool car for some time, that would be optimum and definitely help make the decision. Let us know how that goes.

  14. #14
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    My TruTrac clunks around corners a bit.
    Not actually the rearend...but the rod-ends on the LCA's binding.

    Good times though man.

  15. #15
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    My TruTrac clunks around corners a bit.
    Not actually the rearend...but the rod-ends on the LCA's binding.

    Good times though man.
    Really? I assumed the Tru Trac was on it way to being wasted as I have never heard this clunk before. That would be awesome, but this is a pretty hard knock when turning.

  16. #16
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Mine catches people off guard....

    But it is the LCA's. Everything still works fine with the rear.

  17. #17
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Mine catches people off guard....

    But it is the LCA's. Everything still works fine with the rear.
    When did it start making the noises? My noises happened right after my last pass.

  18. #18
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    When did it start making the noises? My noises happened right after my last pass.
    After beating the shit outta the car.

  19. #19
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    After beating the shit outta the car.
    Hmmm, Well I can only hope for that. That would be awesome.

  20. #20
    Member 1986camarojoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    31
    Posts
    340
    99 Z28 04 Corvette

    mine makes all kinds of noise but still works fine.. usually a nice clunk when slowing down for a corner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine Break-In Guide - Break-In Without Breakin'
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM
  2. check out this break dancer break
    By pecha in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
  3. Lets Break The Record!
    By burnws6 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM
  4. lets go tigers lets gooooo
    By greatwhiteZ28 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 07:57 AM
  5. Should I break the 12's?
    By American Muscle in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •